account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Camera2 API?

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 271 of 1,250
Message 271 of 1,250

Re: Camera2 API?

I just bought the Z3 because I knew about Lollipop comming and thought Camera2 API Support will come for sure. It was ridiculous that I was wrong. More embarassing is the JPG-Engine of the Z3. Whitebalance is always off, Red looks like Magenta. That's just a matter of processing, and Sony failed completely. Please, if you not able to at least deliver a usable JPG Engine (even the cheapest smartphones deliver much more natural colors!!!), give us at least RAW to fix it in post.

Commissioner
Message 272 of 1,250
Message 272 of 1,250

Why OEMs aren't using the camera2 APIs

Some opinions on adopting a new API onto Sony's own camera app. It's not as easy as you think...

Highlighted
S-E
Apprentice
Message 273 of 1,250
Message 273 of 1,250

Personally I'd love to see the camera2 APIs and RAW features get added into the Xperia Z series (Z1 onwards). Sony already has a great track record with Cameras and adding things to AOSP so imo adding these new features would improve Sony's reputation even more.

Go for it Sony, get these features baked into the Camera app!
One time poster
Message 274 of 1,250
Message 274 of 1,250

Yes, customers need the cam2api.

Google gives it to us through lollipop. There should not be a reason for Sony to disable it.

Thanks..

One time poster
Message 275 of 1,250
Message 275 of 1,250

The camera experience on my Xperia Z1 is pretty lacklustre and the imaging results are very underwhelming. If implementing full-mode Camera2 API will improve results even by a bit then I strongly suggest Sony to offer that to customers.

One time poster
Message 276 of 1,250
Message 276 of 1,250

I had the original Z and now have the Z3. While the Z3 is a very nice phone, the camera is not very good.

Even in optimal lighting conditions, the JPEGs are soft and mushy.

I'm an amateur photographer and although shoot with a real camera when possible, sometimes the phone is all you have and its a shame the results aren't better from the Z3. Sony really needs to improve their cameras output on the Z series. They have talked up the experience from their phones but the end results are nothing to write home about.

We need to see improved noise reduction and sharpening algorithms to get results which live up to Sony's reputation.

We need RAW support so the user can manually process the images when the situation is too dificult for the phones software, or th euser want more creative control.

We need full manual control over ISO and shutter speed.

If the camera output better quality images there would be fantastic cross promotional opportunities with the Alpha brand.

Come on Sony, pull your finger out!

One time poster
Message 277 of 1,250
Message 277 of 1,250

"

1. Full mode (optional capability for RAW capture)"

we need RAE.

thanx

One time poster
Message 278 of 1,250
Message 278 of 1,250

Yes please add camera2 API. When I sold my zl and I bought my z1 I was waiting for better picture quality and I was dissapointed. I think it would be great to have full manual control and RAW format too. 

Talent
Message 279 of 1,250
Message 279 of 1,250

Sony,

Please add RAW support for Z3c camera software on Lolipop (and for the rest of Z series, for the matter) .

Also, light and noise processing algorithms from Sony should be reviewed.

Sensor hardware is fine, but the software clearly needs improvements.

Camera performance is an important feature of any high-end phone .

One time poster
Message 280 of 1,250
Message 280 of 1,250

I'm on Z2 and tab z3c and would like to see RAW support, too.

Especially modifying exposure time is a feature, I really miss!