account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Camera2 API?

SOLVED
Message 111 of 1,250
Message 111 of 1,250

Re: Camera2 API?

I agree with you that people sometimes overreact to raw possibilities, but editing photos on the fly is becoming more of a reality. I do not currently own a Sony device, they are extremely axpensive in Brazil, although I'am eyeing a Z3 Compact. My point is: I DO have a Nexus 5, am with 4.4 it initially had terrible results under the stock google camera; focus was off, colors were off puting and etc. Sometime after camera2 API realese, came the app Manual Camera, with support for it, and with it the possibilities to empower developers to do what they do best: Develop great apps that surpasses the stock option we have.

I don't shot RAW, but a surely can take better photos with my new camera app, it focus faster, when it underexposed I CAN increase the EV fast enough with a custom wheel; I can set the ISO when I feel that the auto goes waywire, and so on. The new snapseed also allows me to overhaul any photo I thought had no businness being highlighted in my instagram (haha!).

The new API doesn't allow just RAW capture, that's a fallacy people tend to use. It gives any app, not just Sony's, the ability to innovate and improve on something we, in general, complaint it's not as good as it should be. IMO if the Sony app was offloaded to Google Play and came with camera2 API the company's own development would be easier the just using whatever custom ISP Qualcomm is pushing and etc...

Using camera2 does not just means RAW capture. It means being on the bleeding edge of software and contributing to an open ecosystem; something I feel Sony already does with its efforts and commitments with the source code os AOSP and lightweight skin over Android Lollipop. Sony is struggling in Mobile, that's plain for everyone to see. The solution might be to go back to the basics an let an already great stock software like Lollipop to do its thing, and just engraciate us with great hardware, great apps and great consumer feedback and support for its devices. That's what I feel more OEMs that not Samsung should be doing. Just try to improve the areas Stock Android is lacking, you don't have to reinvent the wheel or take stuff out.

Anyways, that was long, but is my opinion. Maybe I'll buy the Z3C after all. I was raised in the 90's respecting the legacy and caliber of the Sony brand, more than Apple's I should say.

Cheers mates

Rookie
Message 112 of 1,250
Message 112 of 1,250

Adding raw support is nothing but a plus for Sony. Please include the API in a future update.
Apprentice
Message 113 of 1,250
Message 113 of 1,250

I hope we will get RAW support soon.

One time poster
Message 114 of 1,250
Message 114 of 1,250

Raw file supporting would be great, cant wait for it XD

Learner
Message 115 of 1,250
Message 115 of 1,250

Sony can you please tell us if you can include RAW in your future Android 5.1 update?
One time poster
Message 116 of 1,250
Message 116 of 1,250

please provide camera2 api. eagerly waiting

One time poster
Message 117 of 1,250
Message 117 of 1,250

Please send this to your higher-ups that many, including myself that own a Sony Xperia Z3 device, would wish for RAW mode support (full mode or limited).

Visitor
Message 118 of 1,250
Message 118 of 1,250

Yes plz. I'd love to see this feature implemented!

One time poster
Message 119 of 1,250
Message 119 of 1,250

I really wish we can have raw support in near future. Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
Learner
Message 120 of 1,250
Message 120 of 1,250

Indeed, we want it. 20.7 mp is not only intended for normal photography.