account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Camera2 API?

SOLVED
Commissioner
Message 1081 of 1,249
Message 1081 of 1,249

no RAW mode

hi all

Any idea why Sony hasn't implemented RAW mode with their phones?

I'm assuming that since it's not been in recent compact handset iterations, it's not in any of the handsets.

Apologies if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Gary

Emperor
Message 1082 of 1,249
Message 1082 of 1,249

Re: no RAW mode

@MyAliasIsGary

It has been asked before, I'll merge this to the ongoing thread. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 1083 of 1,249
Message 1083 of 1,249

@uliwooly wrote:

@MyAliasIsGary

It has been asked before, I'll merge this to the ongoing thread. 

@uliwooly

thanks bro.

Long time btw. You well?

What handset are you rocking?

xz1 compact isn't sounding great tbh. So disappointed. Desperate for new handset Slightly frowning Face

Cheers,

Gaz

Emperor
Message 1084 of 1,249
Message 1084 of 1,249

@MyAliasIsGary

XZ Premium 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 1085 of 1,249
Message 1085 of 1,249

Re: Camera2 API?

@Rickard wrote:

Android 5.0 supports the new camera features via android.hardware.camera2, and Google defines three modes for the new camera features:

1. Legacy mode (no support RAW capture)
  2. Limited mode (optional capability for RAW capture)
  3. Full mode (optional capability for RAW capture)

Currently, Xperia supports Legacy mode in our Lollipop update which incorporate features and functionality in addition to our already renowned camera experience. As always, we're monitoring our customer expectations and regarding supporting taking pictures in RAW format, we will consider this for the future if there is a popular demand.

i cannot see how this is still the "solved" response, given it's late in 2017 and it's STILL not been implemented AND we're already 3 OS iterations further down the line.

I cannot see how legacy mode is still required with Oreo (EDIT: spelling).

Sony really has to explain itself.

Is it possible that Sony can provide an updated explanation?

I think loyal customers are owed this.

EDIT: (changed last paragraph cos it was a moan - hopefully I've justified myself with some evidence)

I am deterred from buying the xz1 compact, despite my current handset literally being on its last legs, because of my personal experiences with the z3 compact (my phone) and what I've seen reported by xz1 users in this very forum:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1-Compact/Main-camera-quality-terrible/m-p/1267075#M370

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-XZ1-Compact/Distorion-on-back-camera/m-p/1265604#M181

The distortion issue in the second link is particularly of concern. This, to me, is simply unacceptable for a brand new phone.

Regards,

Gary

Emperor
Message 1086 of 1,249
Message 1086 of 1,249

@MyAliasIsGary

I'll escalate this but make sure to send your request to Sony >>> Local support

Commissioner
Message 1087 of 1,249
Message 1087 of 1,249

@uliwooly wrote:

@MyAliasIsGary

I'll escalate this but make sure to send your request to Sony >>> Local support

very much appreciated.

They won't listen to me but input from you might actually reach someone who won't just fob me off with some placating comment.

Thanks,

Gary

Learner
Message 1088 of 1,249
Message 1088 of 1,249

RAW photography !

So the feature has been part of Android since Lollipop 🍭 

Camera2 API RAW support should really be part of the phone! I personally don't care if it's the Adobe DNG or the Sony ARW format, whatever works for Sony as long as I get my RAW I am happy!

An Xperia XZ Premium user waiting for my Oreo

Visitor
Message 1089 of 1,249
Message 1089 of 1,249

Re: RAW photography !

yes!!! , this need to be eneable , Sony 's phone camera is awesome but the RAW is missing !!!

Inhabitant
Message 1090 of 1,249
Message 1090 of 1,249

It has been more than 2 years since Lollipop and it's almost 2018.... i'm pretty sure RAW support should already be supported. and the lack of better maunal mode. Currently the "Maunal Mode" seems really childeish compare to other OEMs. Just take a 1s shutter speed for example lol.