account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Camera2 API?

SOLVED
Veteran
Message 1031 of 1,251
Message 1031 of 1,251

Google's camera with HDR+ ported

Hi, 

recently an ukrainian dev ported google's camera with HDR+ to every snapdragon 820 or 835 devices:

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-hdr-ported/

I tried it, installed but each time I want to start it it shows me "application has stopped working" message Slightly frowning Face Slightly frowning Face Slightly frowning Face

I really hope he will improve it since results, especially in low light are great on Pixel devices. 

Sony's HDR mode is very bad, it is really hard to see any difference between HDR on and off and of course we cannot count on such features from Sony, as we cannot count on anything from them... 

Highlighted
Adept
Message 1032 of 1,251
Message 1032 of 1,251

Re: Google's camera with HDR+ ported

As far as I am into technical stuff, Google Camera needs Camera 2 API to work, 

which isn't supported on our devices, afaik.

Guess that might be the reason for the crash when starting up the app.

Veteran
Message 1033 of 1,251
Message 1033 of 1,251

So what is needed for Camera 2 api to work? How to enable it? 

Message 1034 of 1,251
Message 1034 of 1,251

it's up to OEM to support it, although I've seen some news about a Magisk module that allowed to enable it
Veteran
Message 1035 of 1,251
Message 1035 of 1,251

Oeam means sony? Then we can forget abou it. 

Message 1036 of 1,251
Message 1036 of 1,251

yes, Original Equipment Manufacturer.
Message 1037 of 1,251
Message 1037 of 1,251

also as far as I know, Sony does use Camera2 API, but it's modified and that might be why that modified APK doesn't work (most Camera2 API function work in third party camera apps, like for example Manual Camera).
Visitor
Message 1038 of 1,251
Message 1038 of 1,251

[Feature Request] Raw photos.

I love my XZ Premium but the camera software is really not the best out there.

My G3 captures comparable photos and that's a few years old 13MP sensor.

I really think Sony makes great sensors but the software processing could use some work.

I think it would be a lot better if we at least get the options of shooting RAW or using the Camera2API.

Aside from the minor camera issues (It does shoot really good daylight photos), it is a really great phone.

Inhabitant
Message 1039 of 1,251
Message 1039 of 1,251

[Feature Request] Raw photos.

3 years after this message 

Android 5.0 supports the new camera features via android.hardware.camera2, and Google defines three modes for the new camera features:

1. Legacy mode (no support RAW capture)
  2. Limited mode (optional capability for RAW capture)
  3. Full mode (optional capability for RAW capture)

Currently, Xperia supports Legacy mode in our Lollipop update which incorporate features and functionality in addition to our already renowned camera experience. As always, we're monitoring our customer expectations and regarding supporting taking pictures in RAW format, we will consider this for the future if there is a popular demand.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Sony will you do something?

Inhabitant
Message 1040 of 1,251
Message 1040 of 1,251

Re: [Feature Request] Raw photos.

Why you move my question in solved topic? My problem is not solved!