account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 81 of 183
Message 81 of 183

Moving apps to SD in lolipop has no affect on available device memory.

Is there a known issue in the stock Lolipop firmware, moveing apps to SD seems to have no affect on the available space

I'm unable to install apps because of insufficient space, despite having moved all apps possible to SD card (which made no difference).

I'm aware that there will be some data left behind in device memory after they are moved but i cannot see any affect at all on available device momory. 

It seems that the the check for available space is based on the total size of applications and not the size of applications on device.

Visitor
Message 82 of 183
Message 82 of 183

Re: Moving apps to SD in lolipop has no affect on available device memory.

One time poster
Message 83 of 183
Message 83 of 183

Re: Welcome to the Forum, please introduce yourselves!

Hi I live in Australia and am very happy with my first Sony smartphone. An X3 compact which I have had for several months now. My reason for turning to the forum is to try an understand what is happening to lollipop updates as although I have a SD card with heaps of free space, my emulated0 space is hovering around 400Mb and this is after transferring as much as possible.

My device shows it is up to date with software. 23.0.A.2.93
If someone could explain where we are at regarding this in Australia I would appreciate it very much.
One time poster
Message 84 of 183
Message 84 of 183

Re: Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

For the record, I am experiencing the same problem. This is undeniably an error - whether on Google's or Sony's end I'm not sure; I haven't heard anything about this with non-Xperia phones:

After "moving to SD card" the App Info now says "App on device = 5.60 MB; App on SD card = 1.43 GB". Yet nothing has been removed from the internal storage and nothing has been copied to the external SD card.

This information is patently false so I very much doubt that it is the intended behaviour. And, as others have said before me, regardless of the false information if it is the indended behaviour then this new ability given back to us with Lollipop is useless.

One time poster
Message 85 of 183
Message 85 of 183

I have also been trying to move apps to my SD card but my apps seem to disappear and the icon on the screen is replaced with a strange square with an image like an SD card on it. Also since the update the phone seems to be completely destroying my SD card, Pictures that are saved to my SD card are disappearing along with videos, all taken on the phone.

Is anyone else having these sort of issues or is it something I have done? I have reinstalled the update about 3 times now and wiped my SD card about the same amount of times but this keeps happening

Commissioner
Message 86 of 183
Message 86 of 183

After raging for about 2 hours I came to the conclusion that the phone is working as intended and the weird memory management is by Google's design.

I have 2 phones with SD card slot, the Z3 and Galaxy S4, both are on Lollipop (S4 is on 5.0.1). Both have the same behaviour when it comes to memory management.

If an app has downloaded data files, they will be downloaded to device memory, but the stupid app manager will show the data is stored on SD card even if there is no SD card inserted. For example 3D Mark Ice Storm Benchmark will download 176Mb of data, the app manager will show that the 176Mb data file is on the SD card even though there is no SD card inserted. I have no idea why the OS says the data is stored on SD Card even though it's not true.

Only the APK will get moved to the SD card in a folder called .android_secure which is a hidden folder that is invisible on the phone unless you use a file manager able to show hidden files such as ES, or connect the SD card to a PC with hidden files viewing enabled. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure Sony can't do anything about it, users should start pestering Google to implement a better way to manage app data files on phones with SD Card support (and then pester Sony to update the phones with Google's fix).

GDOT72

Your SD Card is corrupted, the same thing happened to me on my S4, you should back up everything ASAP because it will keep getting worse as more sectors fail on the SD card. I kept using mine to the point I couldn't even get most of the files out of it using a PC as they would give errors during copy. Buying a new SD Card from a reliable manufacturer is advised.

---
Was this helpful? Give me a kudos smile happy
Enthusiast
Message 87 of 183
Message 87 of 183

I guess that Lollipop's space reporting combines the space used on the virtual and physical SD cards then, rather than counting the virtual SD card as internal memory.

In the last few days, I actually came upon an app (can't remember which one) that did properly install to the SD card. So it can at least work under some circumstances. I guess some apps claimed to be optimized for Lollipop might be confused by something (or the app devs just mean they checked it works under ART).
Rookie
Message 88 of 183
Message 88 of 183

how do I move files from SD card to Z1

Moved files etc to Sd card some using lollipop and some manually. Now nothing works or is recognised. How can I move it all back to the phone
Adviser
Message 89 of 183
Message 89 of 183

So how can lenovo mobiles have 'default write disk' option on settings->storage-> default write disk->internal/SD.
Aren't they running on Android platform.? Aren't lenovo have restrictions.? Must reply Sony.!
Emperor
Message 90 of 183
Message 90 of 183

@rishabsen03

contact Sony and/or lenovo or google directly 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)