account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

SOLVED
Emperor
Message 51 of 184
Message 51 of 184

Re: Lollipop: apps disappearing after moving them to SD card

You should be able to re-download them w/o any issues. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 52 of 184
Message 52 of 184

I have sadly been awaiting Lollipop for my Z3 compact tablet so I could use the 64GB Sandisk Ultra I bought (as the internal 16GB just doesn't cut it). So needless to say I am extremely disappointed with this inability to transfer apps to the SD card and even more frustrated by the misreporting of the location of the app.

For example, the Z3 reports that the SD card has 59.45GB available storage. I move Dead Trigger 2 to SD which is 507MB. After move the app supposedly has 32MB remaining on the tablet and moved 482MB to the SD card. I was expecting remaining storage on the SD card to be just under 59.00GB however 59.42GB remains. 

This seems to me that 32MB has been transferred to SD and 482MB has remained on the tablet, the opposite of what has been claimed.

I wouldn't mind if the app couldn't be moved because of developer decisions, just don't tell us it has been moved!

DeadTriggerNotOnSD

Emperor
Message 53 of 184
Message 53 of 184

@Hinge 

This is something you have to let the game/app developer(s) know, not Sony. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 54 of 184
Message 54 of 184

I don't doubt the developers have to define where their apps are allowed to be installed but I would expect the OS to correctly report where the app is, right now it just looks like it's making stuff up!

@uliwooly wrote:

@Hinge 

This is something you have to let the game/app developer(s) know, not Sony. 

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 55 of 184
Message 55 of 184

Lollipop & SD Card

My main purpose for Lollipop was to be able to make more use of my SD card as my internal memory is constantly full - 16GB doesn't stretch too far. Once Lollipop was installed I moved all eligible apps to the SD card including GTA which is 1.2GB, it says it's moved and that 1.1GB of this has moved to the SD card but my phone storage has shown no improvement. It's still stuck at 550MB when in theory it should be up around 2GB free now. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, my apps can't seem to save to my SD card. For instance, I have a lot of films and TV series on my Flixster app that I have redeemed codes for, Flixster even has an option to download to the SD card but when I try and download to here it says downloading to SD card is unsupported on this device. Surely with Lollipop it should be able to carry out this function?

It's so frustrating having a 128GB SD card and hardly being able to put anything on it whilst my phone is basically full.

Rookie
Message 56 of 184
Message 56 of 184

Re: Lollipop & SD Card

See my note above with the screenshot. Ditto for most games I have tried I'm afraid. I was certainly not expecting this.

One time poster
Message 57 of 184
Message 57 of 184

Android 5.0.2 lolipop on xperia z1

Updated to 5.0 only because of the possibility of porting applications to the sd card, updated, started to move the app and saw that only moves the app itself, the cache remains in the phone. Why would I order such a transfer? I'm a masochist who game 70 MB? Please new version is not enough that can not tolerate the application also lags

Forum Legend
Message 58 of 184
Message 58 of 184

Re: Android 5.0.2 lolipop on xperia z1

and this is an issue caused by Sony how? Does the app developer not have to code this into their apps and allow read from SD card or did I miss that when I coded apps

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Forum Legend
Message 59 of 184
Message 59 of 184

Re: Android 5.0.2 lolipop on xperia z1

I'm also confused by your choice of word "masochist" did you know this means that you gain gratification from other peoples pain and humiliation from sexual activities

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 60 of 184
Message 60 of 184

inaccurate storage issues. lollipop.

I've been eagerly anticipating the lollipop update as my phone memory was almost completely full, despite having a massive empty memory card because of the apps to SD limitations.
I was very pleased to see that the app to SD option was back in the applications page and went about moving around 4gb of game data to the SD card.

Yet once it finished I flicked to the storage to see that nothing had changed, it still claimed I had less than a GB of space remaining on the phone.

I checked back on the applications and it still confirmed the apps had been moved to SD and were offering the option of moving back to the phone.

But the phone refuses to see the data as having moved, even after rebooting. Any help resolving this would be much appreciated. Thanks