account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 184
Message 11 of 184

Re: Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

Then the app info displays incorrect information.

If it's true that the OBB isn't moved, the "Move to SD Card" option is pretty much useless, given that an APK is restricted to 50 MB and it's the OBB that eats up space.

The corresponding feature under ICS and JB moved the OBB as well. If Lollipop restricts this, the feature might as well be removed. It's misleading.
Commissioner
Message 12 of 184
Message 12 of 184

This is how Android restrict trojan apps from messing around with their system. It's been like that since KitKat and will still be like that until someone can solve the read/write command of SD cards.  If you really need to move apps to SD card and cannot live without it, consider downgrading to Jelly Bean. 

This explains well what Android istrying to do and why Apple do not have SD card slot.

Why Android don't allow you to move app to SD card

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 184
Message 13 of 184

The problem remains that the implementation Sony has made in Lollipop is functionally useless, unless you need to move hundreds of apps tiny enough that they don't have OBB extensions, and the space taken up on internal storage and the SD card is reported incorrectly in the app info.

From what I've understood, Lollipop was supposed to solve this problem by allowing apps access to mirrored folders on the SD card.

Remember that the "Move to SD card" option was left out in recent Xperia phones, but re-introduced with the Lollipop update. Why put it in there if it cannot serve any useful purpose, and why can't it move the OBB's if it's free to move the APK?

I think the feature is simply broken and not working as intended. But then they have to log it and fix it.
Message 14 of 184
Message 14 of 184

So what did you all do on KitKat with these hundreds of apps?
Highlighted
Talent
Message 15 of 184
Message 15 of 184

Personally I think the internal card should be used for apps and games. Manufacturers should completely eliminate 16gb internal storage devices, and make 32gb the mandatory minimum. This is 2015, there is no reason why any device should have a 16gb internal storage. We had those 5 years ago for God's sake. SD cards should be used to store music, photos, videos, etc. That's how I currently have my device setup. Mind you I don't have large apps and or games installed.
Commissioner
Message 16 of 184
Message 16 of 184

Zacabeb, Lollipop do allow you to transfer app to SD Card, on one condition. Your app developer must do the work, not Sony. Read this:www.phonearena.com/news/Google-restoring-SD-card-functionality-in-Android-5.0_id62484
Enthusiast
Message 17 of 184
Message 17 of 184

With my old Xperia S, running ICS, I had about 25 GB available and didn't have to worry. With my Xperia Z3, I have 7 GB free and wondering which of the games I bought to install. If they allowed for the bloatware to be removed, maybe there'd be an extra GB to spare.

But the way I see it is this: Smaller apps go into external storage. Larger apps and media go onto the SD card. And that's what the system should let us do.
Apprentice
Message 18 of 184
Message 18 of 184

Hi Rickard. I know that this might be a bit off the topic but this is also related to apps installation and external/internal memory issues.
-Though I haven't received/installed the Lollipop 🍭 yet, I would already like to anticipate if there's an option to install to SD card other than the "move to SD" new feature? So that in this case, the moving to SD will not be as complicated as just to re-install the game directly to the SD instead. Your app and/or game progress/activities can be retrieved anyway. Kindly advise. Thanks.
Commissioner
Message 19 of 184
Message 19 of 184

Zacabeb, Android did provide a solution in Lollipop by allowing app developers the freedom to create a app specific file in your SD card. It's up to your app developer to upgrade to Lollipop, not Google, certainly not Sony. Write to your app developer and get them to upgrade, that's the only way for now.
The only thing Sony can help is in the future to look into expanding storage. Samsung is looking into providing 128GB to mid range models. Time to have a relook.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 20 of 184
Message 20 of 184

I have received more information about this feature and it is working as intended. The feature to move apps to the SD card will only move the APK, nothing else like the OBB.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.