account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 184
Message 1 of 184

Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

One of the most appreciated feature by many in the Lollipop update should be the ability to move apps to the SD card. Many apps are now also installed with their data on the SD card by default.

But when this is done, the same amount of space is still reserved in internal storage, which fills up very quickly. As a result, there is insufficient space for storing several larger apps no matter how big an SD card is installed.

The amount of space available to the user has also diminished, with Lollipop itself, the compilation of apps through ART, and some new bloatware. There isn't enough space to do much at all anymore. The user is left maybe 7 GB, of which some must be reserved for slack. "16 GB" storage is not enough.

I demand an explanation.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 129 of 184
Message 129 of 184

Re: [LOLLIPOP] phone not saving big files to extsd

When you move an app to the SD card in Android, Android will only move the apk-file as described here: http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html. This is standard for Android and not specific for our devices.
The path to the obb is for example known by the app so if you were to move it the app may not find it. I believe there are also security concerns involved here due to it being a removable storage and the file system used.

But it's possible that some phones uses other solutions for moving apps but i did get a bit curious when you say it works on Galaxy S5 and S6. I know a person who has both and asked him to test it and S5 didn't move the obb and the S6 doesn't even support external SD cards?

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

183 REPLIES 183
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 184
Message 2 of 184

Re: Apps moved to SD card still reserve space in internal storage

We are a user support forum so no point demanding anything from us - Contact Xperia care http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 184
Message 3 of 184

I've now checked with a file manager, and the apps do in fact remain in internal storage even after moving them to the SD card. There's no trace of them on the actual SD card though.

It seems that it's just shuffling around things between virtual partitions of the internal storage (sdcard0), and doesn't even touch the physical SD card (sdcard1).

So, this supposed feature is as useful as a soiled diaper to the face.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 184
Message 4 of 184

If I call Sony's support, they will point me here as they have before. And there are a few Sony reps around here. They should be reading those forums and can forward things.
Forum Legend
Message 5 of 184
Message 5 of 184

Some apps can't be moved to SD - That depends on if the developer has added the code for this feature and if the app will still work once moved

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 184
Message 6 of 184

When you move an app to the external SD-card you're only moving the apk-file (the file that you download from Google Play). You can't move the apps private data and databases.

Say for example that you download an app from Google Play where the download from Google Play is 40MB. After it's installed you go to Settings -> Apps -> On SD Card and open that app. If you here check "App on device" and then move it to the SD card you will see that after moving it, "App on device" will have decreased with the file size you downloaded from Google Play (40MB).

The apps are moved to the folder .android_secure on the root of the external SD but you will probably not find this folder using a file manager in the phone. You can see it if you were to connect the phone to a computer in MSC-mode though.

I beliveve the mount point for it in the phone is /mnt/asec

For more information, also see http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 184
Message 7 of 184

The file sizes indicate correctly when moving apps, but the amount of space taken up on the internal storage does not decrease. Any OBB file for an app seems to be left behind on internal storage, even though the app info suggests that amount of data has been moved across. On the Storage screen, there is no reduction in the amount of data on the internal storage.

Either the moving of data isn't working as intended, or the way used up space is calculated doesn't.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 184
Message 8 of 184

Are you sure the app(s) you're testing this with are not apps where the apk-file is small? It works fine when i test it here. If i go to Settings -> Storage and check "Available" on "Device memory" and then move an app to the SD card and then check Settings -> Storage again, "Available" have increased by the size of the apk-file i moved.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 184
Message 9 of 184

The apps I've tested are large and have an OBB file in addition to the APK (ranging from a few hundred MB to about 1.5 GB).

While the app info shows the full size of the app including the OBB as installed on the SD card, the internal storage is still depleted by the size of the OBB and it is present in the internal storage.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 184
Message 10 of 184

The OBB is not moved, only the APK. As i understand it, where the OBB is stored is up to the developer of the app.