account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

Android Pie 9 When are we getting it? Which Xperias will be updated?

SOLVED
Inhabitant
Message 51 of 790
Message 51 of 790

Two years of promised updates

This is not a rant, but just my thoughts regarding Sony Mobile's direction.

So after countless Sony(-Ericsson) phones me and my family are finally moving away from Sony. I really tried to promote them, was somewhat of a fan, cheered for Sony's mobile business etc, but when I saw that my XZ, which was released on October 2016 will not get official Android Pie (though Sony promised 2y of major updates), I decided that instead of waiting for this 8-900€ XZ3, I'll just buy myself a OP6.
 After using my new phone for couple of days, I really cannot find a reason anymore to pay twice for SONY logo. Phone is blazing fast, screen is beautiful, photos are great, only downside is absence of stereo speakers and this "notch". But then again - Sony's new design language is no fan favourite also.
 I really wish all the best for Sony's mobile business, but IMHO the light at the end of the tunnel just keeps getting smaller and smaller year by year.

With best regards for all.

Message 52 of 790
Message 52 of 790

Re: Two years of promised updates

Just out of curiosity, where did you see this promise of 2 years updates?

I'm just very curious as the only official clarification statement has stated 18 months.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

One time poster
Message 53 of 790
Message 53 of 790

Will you have the Android 9.0 phone update available?

Inhabitant
Message 54 of 790
Message 54 of 790

Hi.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2018/02/01/sony-mobile-official-android-upgrade-policy-firmware/

This was the first link I found, but search Google and it's full of the same statement from Sony.

Inhabitant
Message 55 of 790
Message 55 of 790

Re: Will you have the Android 9.0 phone update available?

For OnePlus - of course. And also Android Q and R. My problem with Sony and XZ is that OP updates OP3 (released on June 2016) to Android Pie and it also cost almost half of XZ on release.

Message 56 of 790
Message 56 of 790

@RihoP wrote:

Hi.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2018/02/01/sony-mobile-official-android-upgrade-policy-firmware/

This was the first link I found, but search Google and it's full of the same statement from Sony.

No, Google is full of the same statement off Xperiablog.

Believe me, I've looked and cannot find this official source, and I mean anywhere.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Message 57 of 790
Message 57 of 790

Android 9.0 Pie: When are we getting it? which Xperias wi...

Android 9.0 Pie: When are we getting it? which Xperias will be updated?

Hi guys!

Sony Mobile official annouced the Xperia devices that are going to receive the latest OS from Google.

Here is the full article:

Google has unveiled AndroidTM 9 Pie, meaning every XperiaTM owner will be wondering: when can I get my hands on it?

The good news is: you won’t have to wait too long to get the brand-new version of Android on your Xperia device.

Our Premium-range models are expected to have the upgrade available from November, meaning owners of the Xperia XZ2XZ2 PremiumXZ2 CompactXperia XZ PremiumXZ1 and XZ1 Compact will be among the first to get their hands on the new tech.

Owners of XA2XA2 Ultra and XA2 Plus devices can expect to access the upgrade early 2019.

We always aim for the quickest possible upgrade rollout from the time Google makes its announcement to when it reaches your smartphone. And it’s essential that Sony engineers have the time to implement all our feature upgrades and test devices to meet our high quality standards.

Here’s a helpful infographic to remind you how a new Android rollout works, and its journey from Google to Sony Mobile and ultimately to the Xperia in your hand:

An infographic showing a Sony software rollout

Please, note that Software rollouts are a phased process – timing and availability will vary by market and/or operator. Most models supported but some operator/market exceptions will apply.

In summary:

From November 2018:

Xperia XZ2
Xperia XZ2 Compact
Xperia XZ2 Premium
Xperia XZ1
Xperia XZ1 Compact
Xperia XZ Premium

From early 2019:

Xperia XA2
Xperia XA2 Ultra
Xperia XA2 Plus

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Inhabitant
Message 58 of 790
Message 58 of 790

Re: Android 9.0 Pie: When are we getting it? which Xperias wi...

Just saw it myself and I cannot believe that they officially won't update XZs, that was released on April 2017. It's an abomination. So they think I have to buy a new 800€ Sony flagship every 1.5 years to recieve official Android updates? Never ever again. Now there's also HMD/Nokia with quality hardware and Android One who even updates their entry level phones. Also their phone business is growing instead of shrinking.
 I love(d) Sony products and I have a home filled with their tech, but there's always a red line.

Regular
Message 59 of 790
Message 59 of 790

Android P for XZs

Sony, XZs will be my last Xperia phone. I'm quitting. You're lazy. Your last chance is to release Android P for XZs - it's a phone released only in the spring of 2017 and 2 years of maintenance are far from being over...C'mon, Sony, don't be such a lame! 

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 60 of 790
Message 60 of 790

Re: Android P for XZs

Me too, couldn’t imagine XZs not being updated.  My last Sony phone!!!