account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android 8.1 ETA? (can't search forum for "8.1")

Inhabitant
Message 21 of 37
Message 21 of 37

Re: Android 8.1 ETA? (can't search forum for "8.1")

I don't really want Android P by the end of the year. I want 8.1 now to fix ongoing bugs that are driving me nuts, especially Smart Lock.

Regular
Message 22 of 37
Message 22 of 37

Android 8.1 update for XZ ? Or any software update we'll see soon?

Is android 8.1 already released for other Xperia™️'s ? If so, when will it release for the XZ? I'm just curious.

Message 23 of 37
Message 23 of 37

Re: Android 8.1 update for XZ ? Or any software update we'll see soon?

@RudolphOoO

There are any news related feature Android versions. All of them will always be published in Sony Mobile blog.

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Learner
Message 24 of 37
Message 24 of 37

8.1 update

Para cuándo la actualización 8.1 para el Xperia xz1. Y la corrección con el WiFi que se desconecta y es muy complicado establecer conexión nuevamente 

For when the update 8.1 for the Xperia xz1. And the correction with the WiFi that is disconnected and it is very complicated to connect again

GT

Adept
Message 25 of 37
Message 25 of 37

I don't think the Xz range will ever see 8.1.

When it comes to os updates Sony don't usally release many if any updates and the version you get when the product ships is it.

Why do you need updates. The way it works is the way it works. Get used to it. 

I think Sony's attitude of supplying consumer products with fixed software/firmware is the way to go. 

It reminds me of consumer products in the 80's.  There were no updates.

If you really must have updates get a google phone or google approved partner phone or what ever that second tier program is called. 

Sony isn't part of that google program. So don't expect updates. 

Message 26 of 37
Message 26 of 37

Hi @WallyZ @Roberthenao7

Sony Mobile Android Upgrade Policy

“We aim to support all premium range devices with the latest Android updates for two years after the device has launched. We may choose not to upgrade a mid-range or entry-level device if testing does not meet our exacting standards and we feel the hardware isn’t capable of delivering a stable user experience."

This is a user-based global forum. So please, write in english! By doing so, it can be well received and monitored.
If the problem is solved, mark it as a solution so others can know Grinning Face
Adept
Message 27 of 37
Message 27 of 37

"the device has launched"

Define "launched"  is that the annouce date or release date?

We aim to support all premium range devices with the latest Android updates for two years after the device has launched. 

XZ Premium. I think that is a premium device then.

"We may choose not to upgrade a mid-range or entry-level device"

Nothing said about not updating premium devices!

So 3 months later still no update plan, hmm!!!

Ok I have until June 2019 before my phone is 2 years from release date!!!

Wait and see, I suppose!!!

Message 28 of 37
Message 28 of 37

Hi @WallyZ

Premium range is the XZ line. So 2 years for XZ line!

"We may choose not to upgrade a mid-range or entry-level device" - this is related to non-premium models, as stated. If is mentioned above that Premium devices get 2 years, "not updating premium devices" is in the 2 years window.

You are referring to Android 8.1, but Sony history says that they skip this minal updates. Especially because Sony Android 8 have some 8.1 "features". You´ll know more next moth, after IFA.

Still don´t know what do you mean by "update plan". But let me know Slightly smiling Face

To know more about "The Journey of an Android Software Rollout", check this Sony Mobile blog post.

One time poster
Message 29 of 37
Message 29 of 37

Android 8.1

Hi there sony. Are you going to release android 8.1 for xz premium? Or is there any chance we could have one? 

One time poster
Message 30 of 37
Message 30 of 37

Android 8.1 ETA? (can't search forum for "8.1")

Pls help me