account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

One time poster
Message 431 of 3,020
Message 431 of 3,020

hi every body

i buy a c5 dual but not think the sony is be les than htc and ....

m9 my brother automativ update to 6 with gprs internet.

shame on sony;

the time of users is wasting and every day for waiting update.i smame buy sony.

Emperor
Message 432 of 3,020
Message 432 of 3,020

Re: hi every body

@snowydays

The HTC M9 its a flagship phone, but could you elaborate on the problem, are you comparing phone's performance or are you referring to Android 6.0 Marshmallow or do you have questions regarding mobile data connection (Edge, 3G, LTE)?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Commissioner
Message 433 of 3,020
Message 433 of 3,020

Re: hi every body

Xperia Beta Program for Z3 (D6603), Z3 Compact (D5803) and Z2 (D6503) in Italy, Spain and Netherlands only ---> Marshmallow

Regular
Message 434 of 3,020
Message 434 of 3,020

A suggestion for Sony Mobile boss about Marshmallow

Launch Marshmallow for Z5 series in the MWC press conference on 22nd February.

This would be the best gift for your customers, much better than introducing a new phone every 6 months.

One time poster
Message 435 of 3,020
Message 435 of 3,020

Re: A suggestion for Sony Mobile boss about Marshmallow

Wow, you need only 6 months to put bloatware in the 6.0 and release it 

SONY RULES ...

we are so lucky customers 

Talent
Message 436 of 3,020
Message 436 of 3,020

D6633 M beta

Given the well known fact that people had, have and will keep having issues with the double sim implementation un Sony phones.. WHY DO THEY REFUSE TO ADD THE DUAL SIM VERSIONS TO THEIR BETA PROGRAMS?

Talent
Message 437 of 3,020
Message 437 of 3,020

@vex_sb wrote:

Wow, you need only 6 months to put bloatware in the 6.0 and release it 

SONY RULES ...

we are so lucky customers 

I agree. BUT 

If we compare the AOSP binaries that Sony release with the Nexus binaries that Google release, there is ONE important difference:

- Nexus binaries are 100% stable with AOSP while Sony binaries are totally the opposite (you find a broken camera and many other features that make an AOSP ROM totally unstable). 

What does this mean? 

No matter the UI (which is pretty vanilla-like), Sony needs to do a lot of work to adapt their unstable binaries/drivers to each Android release. Thus, all the 6 months of Sony "adapting" Marshmallow, first the concept firmware, now the beta firmware are because of this.. (I don't know what is going to happen with the Z5 line that did not had a concept firmware to polish bugs).

I think that Sony needs to release stable binaries or AOSP builds and let the users be able to upgrade quickly to future versions (without unlocking or loosing DRM stuff), and then update the rest of the users with all the Sony libraries/drivers (hidden) in Android in the stable channel. 

As a Z5 Compact user (that have used Nexus for many years) I'm very frustrated with Sony, the adaptive brightness bug in Lollipop (that will be fixed in MM), no full camera 2 support api with raw, the DRM stuff with the bootloader and some other stuff like "being able to change the default lock screen camera". All these kind of things, ruins the Xperia brand. And there are a lot of Nexus users who wanted a smaller phone (than the Nexus 5X) who went for the Z5C (like me). They are losing them all. 

How can't you release a concept firmware for the latest Z5 flagships? It's unbelievable. 

Good tips for sony: 

- Reduce the costs in marketing and customizations.

- Increase the costs in firmware development, bring quick updates and release stable binaries and/or vanilla roms with google/sony (non system / stick to the firmware) apps.  (The "long" support is already here in Sony, which is a good thing). 

- A good quality assessment team (You can’t sell a phone with broken auto brightness in 2015/2016. Or a 23MP camera that takes better photos at 8MP, or can't be used as a 23MP camera in other android apis/cameras).

- stop erasing important functionalities (DRM) when unlocking the bootloader (people mostly want to do this, when they can't erase or disable Sony apps or customizations to Android UI or standard apis). 

Message 438 of 3,020
Message 438 of 3,020

I bet that it is taking them such a long time because they need to find a way around the new Android permission run-time check... All their intrusive bloatware needs to have access to personal data otherwise they cannot "monetise" their customers.

Emperor
Message 439 of 3,020
Message 439 of 3,020

@AnnoyedUKCustomer

I don't think that's the case at all, what makes you believe that?

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Genius
Message 440 of 3,020
Message 440 of 3,020

Re: Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

It's not a matter of flagship or not, Xperia will get Marshmallow but what's the rush?

I think I say it every 2 pages: do you want a buggy release? Do you want marshmallow now to then complain it's buggy?

Xperias are premium devices, they work good already. Just be patient, it will arrive when the release will be mature enough.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!