account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

Commissioner
Message 2371 of 3,018
Message 2371 of 3,018

Z5 updates: Any good reason why it's taking forever?

I upgraded my Sony Z2 to Z5 Premium in June this year and only received one upgrade of firmware. However, currently Sony Xperia Z5 series has gone through at least 2 firmware changes and yet here in Singapore, we are stuck at 32.2.A.0.253 whereas in October firmware has been updated to 32.2.A.0.305 than in December new security patches up it to 32.2.A.5.11.

When I message Sony Mobile Singapore they just provide the standard answer like "Sony Mobile is still in progress of validating and testing the software to our devices; this ensures that the upcoming software will work properly with your Xperia devices and that users will be able to enjoy the new and exciting features of the software. Furthermore, software rollouts are a phased process with multiple parties involved, so timings and availability will always vary by region and/or carrier."

What struck me is does validating and testing takes months when other neighbouring countries like Malaysia can do it in weeks? I seriously doubt that Sony Mobile Singapore is doing anything other than to hit sales targets. I do hope someone from Sony will check why do updates still take months to get validated and tested. If this is going to be how Sony Mobile Singapore runs their IT department, think more and more will be turning to other more proactive brands that really cares about their profucts' upgrading.

Forum Legend
Message 2372 of 3,018
Message 2372 of 3,018

Re: Z5 updates: Any good reason why it's taking forever?

Are you using a network locked device? ( did you buy your device from a specific network carrier?)

sony has been good in realeasing updates lately, in just a matter of months they have released updates ranging from hardware issues( XPerformance ) to security updates for december and Android Nougat version to more than 4 devices already,.

since you already contacted your Local support, there isn't any answer to your question other than what they have told you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Commissioner
Message 2373 of 3,018
Message 2373 of 3,018

Re: Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

In Singapore, all mobile phones are unlocked as required by law, so you are allowed to port your current number between carriers.

What I find lacking is the disjointed release from country to country. And to validate and test a firmware for coming to 3 months is really ridiculous.
Highlighted
Adept
Message 2374 of 3,018
Message 2374 of 3,018

Re: Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

i am not fully sure, but if you happen to open up the xperia companion download in Singapore you could see something like that.

"FSP_Sumire_Singtel-SG_GENERIC_32.2.A.0.253_1298-3721_R7C_S1-SW-LIVE-F936-PID1-0006-MMC.zip

{"aId":"1298-0884","aDescription":"E6653/Mobile Phone/MH750/Singtel SG (Singapore)/Green"}

i am not sure why i didn't find M1 / starhub when i search. Could be TelCo is delaying. the best is identical phone model with different Telco to compare. not sure.

the link here may be helpful

One time poster
Message 2375 of 3,018
Message 2375 of 3,018

When I can get android 6 for m4 aqua?
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 2376 of 3,018
Message 2376 of 3,018

@AmitDasHm wrote:
When I can get android 6 for m4 aqua?

Most Posted Questions read it Slightly smiling Face

Commissioner
Message 2377 of 3,018
Message 2377 of 3,018

I do not think it has anything to do with telco since Sony Mobile Singapore are in charge of maintaining our Xperia receive available updates on a timely manner. If Malaysia our neighbors which has a bigger population and telcos can do it, I don't see why Sony Mobile Singapore can't? Yet they want to push Sony products out but skimmed on technical support. Who is going to support you Sony if you can't get this right?
Commissioner
Message 2378 of 3,018
Message 2378 of 3,018

Honestly, I wish Sony can explain why Singapore is the ONLY country that has stopped being upgraded to .305 for Z5 series and if the decision is to totally stop supporting Sony mobile phones in Singapore, please let us know so we can move on.
One time poster
Message 2379 of 3,018
Message 2379 of 3,018

sony xperia Z WILL NOT UPDATE

I BOUGHT MY XPERIA Z MODEL NUMBER C6616 AND IT HASNT UPDATED TO ANDROID 6.0 OR 7.0 AT ALL IT STOPPED UPDATING AFTER IT UPDATED TO 5.1.1 AND NOTHING ELSE 

Emperor
Message 2380 of 3,018
Message 2380 of 3,018

Re: sony xperia Z WILL NOT UPDATE

@camila332

There's NO REASON TO SCREAM, next time use the search bar, you most likely will find the answer

@camila332 wrote:

I BOUGHT MY XPERIA Z MODEL NUMBER C6616 AND IT HASNT UPDATED TO ANDROID 6.0 OR 7.0 AT ALL IT STOPPED UPDATING AFTER IT UPDATED TO 5.1.1 AND NOTHING ELSE 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)