account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

Commissioner
Message 331 of 3,018
Message 331 of 3,018

Re: About Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

yeah it will get android 6.0 marshmallow..

i think it will be soon now times to release it 

Genius
Message 332 of 3,018
Message 332 of 3,018

Hello everyone!

I own a Z3C and a C5 Ultra! I am so pleased that finally the C5 got 5.1, it resolved so many issues you cannot imagine and of course, I'll patiently wait for Marshmallow however I will like to let you understand that unless your device is really not working properly with the actual installed OS and unless there are other ways to fix issues, there is no actual need to say "I need Marshmallow" - Lollipop and Marshmallow are not that different, true that there are couple of features that are sweet but they won't really affect every day usage.

I know many of us think about the Doze feature, but it's almost similar to some functionalities that our Xperia already has and in all honesty I am quite happy with the battery life of the C5 and Z3C (except that the Z3C has a shattered display glass now haha).

There is nothing wrong to have 1 full day of battery life, using doze you may get 2 or 3 days of battery life: true, but what if in the meantime you put it to charge while sleeping?

And don't think that Doze will work while you play videogames or watch amovie or listen music... Doze works when the device is unused, it will freeze processes that are not useful and maintain just few listeners to wake up some apps in case of notifications.

Mind also that some apps will keep maintaining the device on and some battery drainage eventually will occurr, just to mention some: Facebook, Sony's Lifelog (speaking of which, it blocks Stamina and Ultra Stamina mode) as well communication with bluetooth devices will also affect battery life, no matter if Doze is actually working.

It's also worth to mention that asking to have a specific device to be scheduled to receive Android M on this forum IT WON'T catch Sony's exec attention.

Do you want to receive an upgrade to your device? Easy, read what's below:

1) It's your device 2+ years old or has Sony declared EOL/EOS?

Sorry, you won't get any official software upgrade, however Xperia devices are quite premium devices compared to others, you may be find unoffical software upgrades on XDA or CM.

2) It's your device less than 2+ years old and Sony denies upgrades? 

a) Create an online Petition and inform Sony about it;

b) You could simply file complaints and force your country "Consumer Protection" offices (every country has one) to take care of it, but you will have to create petitions and gather signatures. This is Legal and Effective - Sony (or whatever other company) will have to listen the request and if no action is taken eventually will have to pay sanctions.

c) Class Actions/Lawsuits - Yes, they works. You paid for a device, you expect to get support. If manufacturer don't support a device or denies whatever kind of service, then the manufacturer will have to pay more consequences and especially fines and compensations. There is little history of Class Action/Lawsuits because of a refused software upgrade but if you can prove that leaving a 2015/2016 device with old software can pose a threat (read it: OpenSSL bugs, Stagefright) or that the device is underperforming (lag, bad OS update, memory leak and whatsoever) oh yes, you can start one also if in the manual it say that they give you the device on the basis of AS-IS without any warranty, consumer is protected and can file a lawsuit because it will be absurd that a company sell a device that simply is not working correctly or it include software that can pose a threat and, considering it's software and not hardware related, it can be fixed by the manufacturer BUT no action is taken.

Well.. a recent example against Samsung (so don't say your next phone will be Samsung, see what happens?): http://www.osnews.com/story/29051/Dutch_consumer_group_sues_Samsung_over_Android_updates

--

At the end, and sorry for the long comment, Marshmallow will arrive, not sure when but in some cases it's not an actual requirement to have a nicely working device. Do not threat anyone to leave Sony to go to Samsung (see above), Motorola (Ugh, 1 year to receive lollipop), LG (they simply don't care about their midranges). They are equally bad* (a lot) at providing software upgrades. Do you want it right now? Buy a Nexus or an iPhone but beware, receiving regular upgrades/updates it's not synonimous of "quality".

Remember when the iPhones got updated to iOS 9 and users lost the Contacts? Scary, isn't it? Well it happened! And guess what, some users won lawsuit against Apple.

Remember when Nexuses got updated and devices started to lag, draining the battery, overheat and the famous memory leak? Yep, that was when Nexuses went from 4.4.4 to 5.0 - what a disastrous experience.

So, peace and love and a bit of patience! Slightly smiling Face

Note: * I used the S word there but apparently it was not allowed so I edit the comment because removing also the bleep left the phrase incomplete.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Genius
Message 333 of 3,018
Message 333 of 3,018

Interesting further reading: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/19/samsung-gets-sued-for-lack-of-updates-in-the-netherlands-say...

All that I said is basically covered in the post.

» If you find that an answer helped, say thanks and give kudos Slightly smiling Face

Wizardry is the key!
Regular
Message 334 of 3,018
Message 334 of 3,018

At least Samsung giving Android 6.0.1 Beta testing. It's almost as official. We can see what Samsung will change in offical.

What about Sony ? Nothing, nothing...........................Android concept for xperia z3 just like a dust.

Genius
Message 335 of 3,018
Message 335 of 3,018

Re: Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

Do you realize that a beta can be dangerous or totally unstable for your device? I took part on various soak and believe me I had to roll back to stock non beta.

Beta is not for daily usage.

Wizardry is the key!
Highlighted
Inhabitant
Message 336 of 3,018
Message 336 of 3,018

Marshmallow update?

It has been really quiet about when we recieve 6.0.

I had Nexus 6 before, and recieved Marshmallow in sept.

And its a huge step up from 5.xx. I really miss it and think Z5 prem. would benefit hugely getting the update.

Any word? I thought Sony were quick updating since Android is fairly generic. But now almost last on the ball?

/Gunnar

Learner
Message 337 of 3,018
Message 337 of 3,018

Marshmallow for z2 in Egypt

When I get android M for my z2 in Egypt???
Emperor
Message 338 of 3,018
Message 338 of 3,018

Re: Marshmallow for z2 in Egypt

@Mohammednege

You have asked the same question a month ago

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Software-Updates/Android-6-When-are-we-getting-Marshmallow-Which-Xperi...

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Talent
Message 339 of 3,018
Message 339 of 3,018

Re: Marshmallow for z2 in Egypt

Well, guess he's very impatient lol
Genius
Message 340 of 3,018
Message 340 of 3,018

Re: Android 6 When are we getting Marshmallow? Which Xperias will be updated? etc

It have been quiet became there are no other news about it. This is a forum powered by users, we know as much as everyone else: nothing but yes, soon or later we will get it.

Wizardry is the key!