account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 5.1.1 updating constantly?

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 8
Message 1 of 8

Android 5.1.1 updating constantly?

I have just bought a 2nd hand Xperia Z1. It has completed a software update twice now in the last few hours, via my friend's WiFi (as I don't have home Internet, only data on this phone). But immediately after it has finished updating & a message comes up saying software successfully updated, then another message says I need to update software again?
Is there something wrong with this phone or is it normal?
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Re: Android 5.1.1 updating constantly?

Hi @Purkle, welcome to our forum!

Congratulations on your new phone! smile happy

When you update your phone OTA (directly in your phone) the phone will install one software update at the time, so for example if your phone has 3 software updates before it's fully updated you will have to complete one at the time and reboot the phone after each one has been installed.

To make sure you are always installing a new software update you can check which version of Android 5.1.1 you have installed before applying the next update. Go to Settings > About phone > Version.

Update the phone and go back and check if the Version number has changed.

You can also update the phone using Xperia Companion which is available for both Windows and Mac.

When you update your phone with Xperia Companion the latest available for your phone will be installed.

I hope that answers your question regarding how software updates work, If not let me know. smile happy

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

7 REPLIES
Scavenger Hunt Winner
Message 2 of 8
Message 2 of 8

It's because updates are sequential so it will install them In correct order.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 8
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Purkle, welcome to our forum!

Congratulations on your new phone! smile happy

When you update your phone OTA (directly in your phone) the phone will install one software update at the time, so for example if your phone has 3 software updates before it's fully updated you will have to complete one at the time and reboot the phone after each one has been installed.

To make sure you are always installing a new software update you can check which version of Android 5.1.1 you have installed before applying the next update. Go to Settings > About phone > Version.

Update the phone and go back and check if the Version number has changed.

You can also update the phone using Xperia Companion which is available for both Windows and Mac.

When you update your phone with Xperia Companion the latest available for your phone will be installed.

I hope that answers your question regarding how software updates work, If not let me know. smile happy

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Rookie
Message 4 of 8
Message 4 of 8

Thanks that's helpful smile happy shame they can't just put it all in one! At least I know now, cheers!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 8
Message 5 of 8

No problem, glad I was able to help! smile happy

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with and have a great Friday and a nice weekend!

One time poster
Message 6 of 8
Message 6 of 8

I have the same problem. Have been updating like 10 times but every time it finishes new update appears. How many updates can there possibly be? I can't do it constantly as that disables my phone for about half an hour each time.... Hope to hear back soon!
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 8
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Martikush, welcome to our community!

To make sure that you are installing a new update each time, please check the version number in Settings > About phone, you will find it at the bottom if this screen and write it down.

Proceed with an update and when it's done and the phone has been rebooted, go back to the same menu and check if the version number has changed, if it has, a new update was installed.

If you have a computer available you can install all the updates at once using Xperia Companion which is available for both Windows and Mac.

Let me know if that helps! smile happy

One time poster
Message 8 of 8
Message 8 of 8

Lolipop verson is so good.