account arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-down

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Sony Smartwatch 3 Always-On Screen Issue

Visitor

Sony Smartwatch 3 Always-On Screen Issue

Hello. I've been having an issue with the always on function of the watch. The watch works perfectly fine in all other aspects, but when I turn on the always on screen, when it's in that state, it is so dim that it's practically unreadable. Even with my screen setting at its brightest (and yes, very readable), it will dim to practically nothing when it goes inactive. This was not always the case, either. For the first month or so I've used it, I would use the always on screen and it was fine.

Elite

Re: Sony Smartwatch 3 Always-On Screen Issue

@The_Bean_Regime

Check under settings > brightness control set it to 5 instead of auto

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor

Its normal setting is 5. Still results in the stupidly dim screen when inactive.

Elite

@The_Bean_Regime

That's how its supposed to work, keep in mind that its not Sony but Google who release the update, you can send them your feedback directly 

https://www.android.com/wear/

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor

I understand that it's supposed to dim. it's still supposed to be readable though. I've had other smart watches, and all of them (and this one, at first) still had an easily read screen when using always-on and inactive. I have to look at it straight on (because of the added element of poor viewing angles of the screen) and close to my face to have a chance of reading it, and at that point, there's no reason to have it on if trying to read it will just turn on the screen anyways. Oh, and outdoors in the sun when I'm working? Can't read it at all and it looks like it's just simply off.

Elite

@The_Bean_Regime

Perhaps its the watch face that you are using, I can see it ok even with the screen off/dimmed

Master

@uliwooly

Try Uliwpply's suggestion first, and use a different watch face and see if it improves. Next you can try to reset your watch (From watch: Settings -> Factory reset) and (From phone: Android wear app -> Settings -> SmartWatch3 -> Forget watch). After that pair with your watch as it is first use.

One time poster

I am also confused as to what to expect here. Previously had an LG G, and on that one, Always On dimmed the backlight to about 10% and the display was clearly visible in low light or darkness. With the Sony 3, Always On seems to just use the trans-reflective aspect of the screen so it's good in bright light, but not in low light. Is this correct?

BTW, I have tried many different faces, and the behavior is the same.