account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Smart watch 3 not counting steps

Talent
Message 31 of 64
Message 31 of 64

Re: Smart watch 3 not counting steps

I think there might be a connectivity issue between the SWR50 and the phone/app.

Mind that the SWR50 has the old Wear OS 1.5 -Wear OS 2 appeared some 2 years ago.

If the phone the SWR50 is connected to is updated, Wear OS is version 2.0 or 2.1

I got a Huawei SmartWatch 2 a little while ago and its precision counting steps has increased a lot if we compare it with the SWR50. One major difference is that the step count will not increase unless we effectively changed position by a significant distance, unlike the SWR50 that detected steps by simply moving the wrist.

The sync is quicker and so far I haven't seen too many deleted steps from walks or workouts. I would understand a small difference, unlike the SWR50, where I knew I had walked or run a distance (I remember a situation having run for 40 minutes) as detected by the watch, it was deleted during the sync with the phone app and never recorded.

Visitor
Message 32 of 64
Message 32 of 64

@Automat wrote:

I think there might be a connectivity issue between the SWR50 and the phone/app.

Mind that the SWR50 has the old Wear OS 1.5 -Wear OS 2 appeared some 2 years ago.

If the phone the SWR50 is connected to is updated, Wear OS is version 2.0 or 2.1

I got a Huawei SmartWatch 2 a little while ago and its precision counting steps has increased a lot if we compare it with the SWR50. One major difference is that the step count will not increase unless we effectively changed position by a significant distance, unlike the SWR50 that detected steps by simply moving the wrist.

The sync is quicker and so far I haven't seen too many deleted steps from walks or workouts. I would understand a small difference, unlike the SWR50, where I knew I had walked or run a distance (I remember a situation having run for 40 minutes) as detected by the watch, it was deleted during the sync with the phone app and never recorded.

Problem is I don't fel like spending money on new stuff. It should be in Sonys interest to solve issues like these if they want to keep their customers.

Why should I chance on other Sony product if the solution to problems is buying new stuff from other brands... 

Visitor
Message 33 of 64
Message 33 of 64

I've been suffering from this problem for a few months now, till last week I suddenly observed that the battery was discharging extra quickly on the watch than normal (within a day compared to every other day as in the past). I checked the settings and realised my 'Always on' option for the screen was on, so I deactivated it. Then after recharging the battery to full, it dawned on me that the steps resetting issue always seemed to coincide with the battery on the phone running low or completely flat at the midnight mark when the steps count resets to 0. Since that observation, I have made a point of fully charging the watch each day regardless of whether it was at 75% or 10% charge. And since that time the steps count resets to 0 at the end of the day as before but picks right back up counting without the need to unpair and restart. 4 days and going strong so far. I'll keep an eye out for any changes over the next few weeks, but thought I'd mention it in case the same scenario applies to other frustrated owners on this forum.

Rookie
Message 34 of 64
Message 34 of 64

I also have the same problem.

Here is when it happened:

I was using the watch with Samsung Galaxy J5 which was fine.

Then I bought a new phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 and needed to reconnect the watch with my new phone.

Since then the watch doesn't count any steps.

I also figured out that the watch itself COUNTS steps but these steps are not shown in all the watch faces.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRuNdAu_hyc

You can enable the developer mode on your watch and enter the manufacturer menu. From here tap on "Step Counter" and you will see the steps count for the current day.

There is also the problem that the watch is still having the old Google Fit app and won't update to the new one (with that point system). I got that update on my other phone (Samsung Galaxy J5) but it can't be installed when I use Samsung Galaxy S9...

Any help would be highly appreciated.

I tried (probably) everything.. including reinstallation of the wear os app on the phone, repairing.. my theory is that the phone is not (any more) compatible with the new "wear os" app. Possible fix would be to install an older wear os version...

steps are not shown in any watchface. And also the new version of google fit can't be installed.
One time poster
Message 35 of 64
Message 35 of 64

I fount the solution, go check my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg6o1jlW-S0&feature=youtu.be

Go Settings/Permissions/google Fit. Then turn everything on. Enjoy! Live a like if I help you
One time poster
Message 36 of 64
Message 36 of 64

This does not work unfortunately.

I've tried many different things including using apps other than Fit, such as Lifelog, Sony's own fitness app, but none sync correctly. This seems like a pretty huge oversight...

One time poster
Message 37 of 64
Message 37 of 64

I installed new watch face

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=huskydev.android.watchface.classic

and now watch shows the number of steps, unfortunately the watch does not count only takes data from the smartphone 

One time poster
Message 38 of 64
Message 38 of 64

Hi all, I have been playing around with the watch for a while now in order to find a solution, and taking the suggestion from one of the previous post I think I may have found one. The issue here is just on the software side, and since I am no programmer, I tried a way to go around the problem.

So the issue started to appear since Wear Os 2, all good with the previous versions, so I thought, why not installing an old version of the software? So I did, I jumped online and got myself the apk of Android Wear 1.5 (android-wear-1-5-0-2951640), deleted Wear Os 2 from the phone, unpaired the watch, installed the apk and paired the watch again. After all was completed the watch displayed the steps on the widget again.

Drawbacks: 

- The watch seems to keep count only locally, so no interaction with G. Fit occours just as yet. I will try to install an older version of G. Fit and see the results.

I noticed that someone was lamenting that the watch battery discharges really quickly. This is something I have been experiencig as well, but managed to fix a couple of months ago.

What is draining the battery is actually the voice recognition funtion or "Ok Google" (the label of which is also annoyngly omnipresent on the watchfaces). Just browse the watch setting and disable the Microfone function. This will prevent the watch to stay in the listen mode all the time and thus battery.

Drawbacks:

- Quite obvious, no more voice recognition capabilities.

...So in conclusion, we can happily (sarcastic) say that the watch is not supported any longer and Sony failed to keep his customers happy. Sony Smartwatch 3 it is not so smart anymore but just a digital watch with poor battery life and mutilated capabilities.

Talent
Message 39 of 64
Message 39 of 64

Smartwatch 3 are really good watches you can instal and buy app like wear email, wear videos, photos, internet viewer, massages etc. I buy these apps and they work really good without lags. 

Today i instal old android wear and google fit. Smartwatch 3 WORKS also WITHOUT smartphone! What you need? Today i try these old app versions Android wear 1-5-0-2951640  and google fit version 1.62.08-100

You must UNPAIR and UNINSTALL BOUTH app, BLOCK automatic updates on google store and instal these old versions on APKmirror web. Thats all

Rookie
Message 40 of 64
Message 40 of 64

@Marioss - yes, thats what I found out few days ago. But I did it differently:

I wanted to have the newest version of google fit on my phone but the newest version didn't work with the sony smartwatch, so I tried some older versions and downloaded few from APKmirror. (I still have the newest version on my phone but an older version on my watch)

I connected my watch via USB with my PC, enabled the adb debugging in the developer section of the smartwatch and then installed few versions of google fit.

Here are the apks:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-fit-fitness-tracking-android-wear/

the command I executed was:

adb install -r -d your_apk_file.apk

I first tried to install the newest version. Installation was OK, but it crashed all the time on my watch, then I tried version 2.01.34. And voila, it seems to work. I have a newer version of google fit (not the newest but newer than preinstalled on the watch) and also the steps counting work again.

If you go higher than 2.01.34, you will get some strange bugs.. if you tap the watchface it will crash or not react at all..

So the problem seems to be on google fit dev team. They stopped supporting older watches like our Sony Smartwatch 3, I guess it is time to upgrade. What I miss is a heart rate monitor, right now I wear the sony watch and a cheap fitness tracker to monitor my heart. (fun fact: the steps count on my cheap 20 $ fitness tracker are almost identical to the steps count on sony smartwatch +- 10 steps)

foto_no_exif.jpgfoto_no_exif (2).jpgfoto_no_exif (1).jpg