account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SmartWatch 3 cannot be used as a smartwatch

Adviser
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

New SmartWatch 3 cannot be used as a smartwatch

Hi,

I've been talking with Sony Chat support since the revelation that the Smartwatch 3 isn't compatible with Android Wear 2.. and have come to the conclussion that they are now advertising the Smartwatch 3 with the current instructions on the Sony support website to download Android Wear from Google Play.. but the only version of AW available from Google Play is AW2.  So if you buy a Smartwatch 3 you cannot download AW as they advise... the chat Assistant's advice was to download AW 1.5 "From a third party source"...  how will they guarantee an apk from a third party source to be safe??

12 REPLIES
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: New SmartWatch 3 cannot be used as a smartwatch

Hi @MrLando,

It is still possible to use the Smartwatch 3 with the Android Wear app that is available in Google Play. There is no need to download an older version of the app. smile happy

I'm sorry if this caused any confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Hi Christofer

Your colleague just advised "I would advise not to update the android wear app no. As the the watch only supports android wear 1.5 and below"

Another colleague has just said "I can see it was advised not to update the app as you may see some issues". Neither statement gives me confidence.

Thanks Mrlando

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

I could connect a Smartwatch 3 with the latest version of the Android Wear myself so it is still compatible. Do you have the Smartwatch 3 yourself and haven't been able to connect it?

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adviser
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

Hi,

I do have a Smartwatch 3.. But I don't want to update my phone (Xperia Z3 Compact) if the two are not going to work as well as they do now on AW1.5.

MrLando

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

I have requested information about this and will let you know here as soon as I know more.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

@MrLando I got confirmation today that Smartwatch 3 running Android Wear OS version 1.5 is compatible with version 2.0 of the Android Wear host app. So, you can update the Android Wear app on your device to version 2.0 and still use your Smartwatch 3.

I'm very sorry that you received incorrect information from your local support team.

Visitor
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

I just bought a Sony Xperia XA1, I cannot get it to work with the Sony SmartWatch 3. Could you please provide the steps to do this?

What I tried:
* Uninstalling + deleting cache off nearly every Google App (Wear/Books/Music/etc.)
* Resetting the watch to factory settings

I keep stuck in the "In the app, tap this watch code: Smartwatch 3 FFACC". Please help.

Kind regards,
Mark

Adviser
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

Hi M_Gras,

To pair the SmartWatch3 with a phone, you have to start from a factory reset of the watch. Even if it was paired with that same phone before, in my experience, I cannot get the two to re-pair.

On the watch, this can be done by selecting "Unpair with phone" from the settings menu. (it doesn't really tell you that anywhere, but if you unpair the watch from a phone - as opposed to selecting unpair on the phone menu - the watch gets a factory reset.

With bluetooth and NFC turned on, I would then use the NFC to check that the watch tells the phone it's there.  That should start the Android Wear app on the phone as well as prepare the SmartWatch3 for pairing.

Note:

• I have found that sometimes it works with Android Wear 2, and sometimes it doesn't. When It doesn't, I have uninstalled Android Wear and then reinstalled it again.
  • Alternatively, if you can get hold of an Android Wear 1.5 apk, that would be even better.  You could backup your Android Wear 1.5 from your previous phone. This worked for me the first time I couldn't get AW2 to work. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui&hl=en-GB might be useful for this.

The SmartWatch3 should then display its code (which I think is the code you have stated below). The phone should then go through the pairing steps.. When you see the the SmartWatch3 code on the phone, tap it and it should complete the pairing... it then takes a few minutes to push apps from the phone to the watch.

Good luck.

Mrlando

Visitor
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for the reply. The linking doesn't seem to be the problem, but after it says that they are connected Android Wear displays a message stating that they are checking for updates and that it can take several minutes. However, I tried it several times but even after 60 minutes it still doesn't continue.

Could this be fixed with AW 1.5?