account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metal strap for Smartwatch 3 is actually plastic

SOLVED
Learner
Message 1 of 18
Message 1 of 18

Metal strap for Smartwatch 3 is actually plastic

So as topic says, the infamous "Metallic" wristband turns out to be plastic, just painted plastic. there are some parts actually metallic but why cant Sony spent another 50snt for real materials... most of the whole wristband is plastic... WHY!?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

Re: Metal strap for Smartwatch 3 is actually plastic

The holder on the metal version of the SmartWatch 3 is made of painted plastic, the rest is made of metal (see the picture below). The carrier is made in plastic in order to get Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi® and GPS antennas working.

17 REPLIES
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 18
Message 2 of 18

Did you buy a genuine item or a cheap Chinese knock off - If it was sold to you by Sony or an official reseller and no mention of painted plastic was used then you have a claim for misrepresentation or miss-selling

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Learner
Message 3 of 18
Message 3 of 18

Its really the genuine version, im sure of it, i bought it from a reseller in here Finland ! Not actual sony store but most known electronics seller in whole finland. not a cheap knock off im sure... you have yours ? try scratching the paint off of it?

Learner
Message 4 of 18
Message 4 of 18

I did some research and looks like im not the only one... several people have noticed the same thing.. now im looking for some information about the wristband but there is nothing saying its actually plastic, not metallic... false advertising is a crime in Finland...

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 18
Message 5 of 18

Hi guys. I just want to let you know that I have forwarded this to check which materials that's used in SmartWatch 3 metal edition.

I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything.

Forum Legend
Message 6 of 18
Message 6 of 18

I own a metal smartwatch version, only the frame around the core is plastic painted with silver color for 2 reasons:

- Prevent scratches on the main core when inserted/ejected.

- Reduce total weight of the strap, it's already bulky in its current configuration.

The strap itself is stainless steel, heavy one.

If you found this post useful, feel free to kudo it and mark it as the accepted solution so that other users facing the same issue can find the post
Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 18
Message 7 of 18

The holder on the metal version of the SmartWatch 3 is made of painted plastic, the rest is made of metal (see the picture below). The carrier is made in plastic in order to get Bluetooth®, Wi-Fi® and GPS antennas working.

One time poster
Message 8 of 18
Message 8 of 18

Hi, any chance I can buy an extra link for this strap please?

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 18
Message 9 of 18

A further reason to use plastic here is to support the antennas for GPS, Wifi and Bluetooth which would be totally shielded if using all metall. And the material needs to be somewhat elastic for inserting and removing the watch core.

Regards, Gerd

Learner
Message 10 of 18
Message 10 of 18

SCOT1495 wrote:

Hi, any chance I can buy an extra link for this strap please?

I have an extra link I'd be glad to send to you.