account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

Google Play Music Issues

Learner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

Google Play Music Issues

Hi, All,

The problem is this: Smartwatch 3, running Android Wear 1.5... and Android OS 6.0.1, Xperia Z5 Premium running Andoid 7.1.1 and Wear OS by Google 2.22...

Google Play Music can no longer download music to the watch for offline use (e.g. away from phone, such as gym, running, sailing, etc). (Opening GPM on watch gives, "error launching play music" message, and there is no "Download to Wear" option in GPM on the phone.

I've scoured the Googlenet and found nothing to help, and my conclusion is that with the various updates and ugrades of the Google suite of apps, the SW3 has been left by the wayside, without the Wear OS 2.0 update.

So, my question is this, is there another (relatively simple) way to get music from Google Play Music onto the watch for offline use? Another app? A "permanent" workaround?

Any help at this point would be awesome!

Cheers,

Bevvy

5 REPLIES 5
Pioneer
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: Google Play Music Issues

Hi @edvbevan;

Unfortunately the option to download music files to the Smartwatch3 memory using the Sony Music app or Google Play Music has been removed some time ago, now the only option you have regarding music is to control the playback when listening to music on the smartphone or tablet (as you can read here).

Learner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Hi, Nuno,

Thanks for the information.

Very strangely, the GPM app has reappeared on the watch.

I saw a card saying GPM had been installed, touch to open, and the two options, 'play on phone' and 'play on wear' were back. Tapping 'play on wear' gives the option to download playlists from GPM, as previously. At the same time, the 'download to wear' option is back in the settings for GPM on the phone.

So, selecting one short playlist, and trying to commence a sync, on the watch, the playlist turns orange, and the app 'closes', and on the phone, selecting the playlist to sync changes the watch icon from gray to the orange wedge to indicate sync has started, but it goes no further.

If, as you say, the download for offline use is indeed no longer available, why does it now appear again? 

Thanks again,

Bevvy

Pioneer
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Hi again @edvbevan;

Can not say why it appears in the Smartwatch3, but the truth is that none of the options work (except as told opening the app on the smartphone and then control it over the Smartwatch) and the instructions to download music to the Smartwatch3 that came in the old userguide (for example version 8) were removed as you can see in the actual userguide (version 11).

Learner
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, Nuno,

Is that official?

Has it been removed?

I know the SW3 will not get a Wear OS 2.0 update, is that part of the deal? 

Looking on some of the Google Support Forums there are plenty of others with similar issues and not only with the SW3.

I don't understand why it was possible before Google updated Wear OS on phone and Watch, and now it is not.

On a slightly different angle, would it be possible to fix the phone and watch update 'level'(?) at a point where it would work?

That, after all, is one of the main reasons I bought the watch i the first place...

Thanks for your help,

Bevvy

Pioneer
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Can not say that it is official, I am only passing to you what I read and experinced as this is an Global user based forum. For an official answer you must contact your Sony Local Support here, but I don't think they will give you a better answer.

You must also have in account that the Smartwatch3 was released in 2014 (almost 5 years ago) probably why there is not much update support (nevertheless no other Smartwacht was released).

Regards;

Nuno