account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobile World Congress 2019

Sonys Press conference from MWC took place end of February
If you missed it you can watch it here.
Please join the discussion here and share your thoughts on what was anounced here. MWC 2019 discussion.

GPS is not working when watch is wet

Regular
Message 11 of 41
Message 11 of 41

Re: GPS is not working when watch is wet

I have the exact same problem. On my second watch, which obviously didn't fix anything.

Any leads on this band?

I bought from an authorized retailer but what recourse do I have for a refund? It's insane that the design is this way for a fitness related watch.
One time poster
Message 12 of 41
Message 12 of 41

I have had this exact problem, in UK, its hot, my arm is sweaty and immediately the GPS cuts out. Twice today I stopped and wiped the watch and my arm and the GPS restored. Absolutely rediculous to make a fitness watch with this flaw.

Regular
Message 13 of 41
Message 13 of 41

Agree 100%. Earlier in the thread a Sony representative makes mention of a redesigned band that alleviates the issue.

Except when I call Sony support nobody knows anything about this band. They say they will investigate and call me back. Then nobody calls back. Then I call them back after I don't hear from them. They just want to send me another band same as what I have.

Awful design, but I'm not sure they (Sony) care. Seems to be they just deny there really is an issue and stonewall the customer.

Not to mention the awful battery life after 5.1. Almost everyday it takes a nosedive on battery. Mine used to last for two days. Now you never know when it's going to drain in a matter of minutes.

One time poster
Message 14 of 41
Message 14 of 41

I absolutely agree . Ridiculous. It's a shame Sony doesn't assume this mistake and they don't offer any solution to their customers. No news since Rickard message about wristbands. Instead of this, Sony have updated SW3 webpage explaining that moisture affects GPS signal. Their solution? "Remove the main unit from the wrist band, and then clean away any moisture that has built up around the unit or the wrist band"

So, do I have to stop my workout, running, cycling, each time the GPS blocks? Are you serious?

They seem to consider this as something reasonable!!!

Visitor
Message 15 of 41
Message 15 of 41

Honestly, I've tried everything from putting rubber bandaid material under the watch, to using plasti-dip to cover the metal back in order to prevent sweat from reaching the back and shorting out the gps signal.  Nothing works.  This watch is a piece of garbage and absolutely worthless if one purchases it for use as a running watch.

I can't believe Sony puts a gps sensor in a watch so it can be used as a standalone device and then doesn't have a (several) runners test it before they decide to sell a broken product.

I plan on returning it be either contacting the seller i bought from or Sony and waiting until a better alternative comes out.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 16 of 41
Message 16 of 41

I have the same problem, it's absolutely ridiculous.

Regular
Message 17 of 41
Message 17 of 41

I called again.  I want one of 3 resolutions: 1) refund 2) new band that corrects problem 3) upgrade to new model if/when released.

They "esclated" my concern and said they would get back to me in 2 days.

They called today and told me to uninstall and reinstall the app or to clear the app cache that I used to track my run.

I held it together but am growing ever tired of their claiming not to know anything about this problem.

They will call or email me if/when a resolution is found.  Ridiculous.

So what is the deal with this new band?  The reps I speak to know nothing about it.  

One time poster
Message 18 of 41
Message 18 of 41

Same problem here now that its gotten hot enough.  What good is a fitness watch that can't handle sweat?  Seriously, who designs products with this little testing?  I've tried Sony support with zero luck - they told me to go back to where I purchased it, some support.  It would seem their design team AND support teams are both completely incapable of their jobs.  All I want is a refund of my money so I can use it to buy a watch that will actually track my runs this summer without bringing my bulky cell phone along.  

Message 19 of 41
Message 19 of 41

I agree. I am fed up. I bought this watch to save me from wearing the rather bulky Z3 on my arm. Now I end up having to manually map and enter my runs into runkeeper because the GPS just cuts out halfway through a run. No way am I prepared to keep stopping to wipe the watch.

I wish I'd just bought a Garmin!

J02
Apprentice
Message 20 of 41
Message 20 of 41

Given the longevity of the issues that this watch has faced for me I reluctantly contacted the vendor where I purchased mine. After a little explanation of the issues and how Ive attempted to work with both google and Sony they offered a refund (even after 5 months). I would recommend giving that a shot and see where it gets you.