account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

How to prioritise connection of CAR Bluetooth PHONE system/ device over SmartBand Talk SWR30

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 41
Message 1 of 41

How to prioritise connection of CAR Bluetooth PHONE system/ device over SmartBand Talk SWR30

After pondering about this device for over a month I asked my wife to gift it me for Christmas. For 3 days I really liked it, but then a critical flaw became apparent Anguished Face

Having not driven for a few days due to the holidays I set off in my car, only to realise that I was not receiving telephone calls, SMS and other notifications on my built-in car bluetooth system (Ford Sync by Sony/ Microsoft), only on the Smartband Talk. Doing some research it became clear that if my SWR30 was already connected with my Xperia (Z2) my Ford Sync could not connect!

I realise the limitations of Bluetooth (i.e. you cannot have simultaneous connections using a same Bluetooth profile) and the workaround is to manually turn off the Phone Audio (handsfree) Bluetooth profile for SWR30 in the Z2. Remembering to turn off/ back on is proving to be irritating and too much effort. I thought I might be able to create an Event (macro) in Sony's Smart Connect app to do this automatically, but this cannot be done as the app is rather limiting!

It is more important for my car system to work with my Z2 as I use it frequently and is altogether a safer and more legal way of answering calls etc.

Has any one got ideas or suggestions? I really like this SmartBand (its far sleeker & lighter than true smartwatches) and I actually want the talk feature, but if I cannot resolve the car bluetooth problem (and this will probably affect all other Bluetooth car systems/ devices) easily and smoothly, regretfully, the SWR30 will be going back to the seller Crying Face  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Enthusiast
Message 9 of 41
Message 9 of 41

Re: I NEED to switch OFF Bluetooth in Smartband Talk. Sounds silly, but read on...

As stated before, I really like the SmartBand Talk and was very disappointed to learn that it could not coexist with a car Bluetooth system! Having had a few days off between Christmas and New Year I was determined to resolve this "flaw" and am glad to report that I have and in a slick way!

Prompted by "ensaro's" widget suggestion, unfortunately I did not want a toggle which had to be manually executed, it had to be automatic. So I thoroughly researched the Google Play Store, trying out many, and ended up with 2 apps which were real contenders: Trigger (by Egomotion) and Automagic (by Gridvision).

Both apps basically allow you to create a trigger (eg Bluetooth Car Audio wants to connect to phone) followed by an action (eg switch off Bluetooth phone connection to SmartBand, followed by switch on connection to Bluetooth Car Audio). Trigger calls this automation task a Trigger, Automagic calls it a Flow.Trigger is fairly intuitive visually, but unfortunately support for this supposedly highly rated app seems no longer to exist! This became very frustrating for me as at times it would not run (however, it also allows a widget to be created to manually run the task manually)... therefore I dug in to the more heavyweight Automagic!

Automagic uses a dynamic flowchart, where you add a trigger, an optional condition (true/ false) and finally action(s). The style reminded me of my programing days many years ago and the logical nature excited me. The possibilities are huge and may scare off some users looking for a quick result, but in fact it is really quite easy to use, especially once you undertstand some of the slightly "obscure" terminology used (after all this a German programer at work and some translation suggestions may be required).

At the end of the day I created 2 flows, one to connect to the car system (via disconnection of SmartBand and then connection to my car) and one to reconnect to the SmartBand when not in car (the trigger being that the car Bluetooth is no longer connected/ disconnected). These flows are passive and apparently use very little battery power, executing when a trigger condition is matched and so far is working well.

If anyone wants to see how my flows are constructed, I will be happy to email them. You open them up directly in Automagic (going to their site allows you to download a 9 day trial with up to 3 flows working)... my flows are embellished with extra actions, such as switching off WiFi and playing a sound when a connection has taken place... and most important of all there is a forum with lots of help and examples and I was really happy when the progaming author, Martin, actually replied to a query...

Problem... sorted! Automagic is well worth £2.40

Nerd Face

Trophy

40 REPLIES 40
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 41
Message 2 of 41

Re: I NEED to switch OFF Bluetooth in Smartband Talk. Sounds silly, but read on...

Easiest way would be to open the Smartband Talk app then go to Settings and untick Incoming calls

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 41
Message 3 of 41

Thanks for your reply.

It sounded positive but, unfortunately, has no effect as the blueooth profile remains switched on in the phone. Of greater concern is that I have just had a reply from Sony Support apologising "... that it's not possible for it both to coexist, you will not be able to use both the car system and the smartband at the same time." Basically if I am to wear the band in the car I have to switch it off... pretty pointless!

I rather suspected this was going to be the case and is highly disapponiting. Looking at the Bluetooth technologies implemented, both my car and this SmartBand Talk use Bluetooth V3 and same profiles for Phone Audio, whereas the Smartwatch SWR50 uses the newer V4 and different profiles which may be the real way around it. Trouble is I really don't like the SmartWatch 3, it's too big and too casual, the SmartBand Talk ticked the right boxes for me, until now!

As it seems I will only be able to wear the SmartBand Talk when not driving I have started the refund process... but I will wait a few days before sending back in case someone comes up with another solution.

Thanks again for your help

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 41
Message 4 of 41

The Watch doesn't have the same features as the band - It will allow you dial number via voice recognition but you won't be able to talk or hear the caller

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Apprentice
Message 5 of 41
Message 5 of 41

I have exactly the same problem as you, Nirmy!

The BT in my car is much higher priority than the Smartband Talk. Ideally I would like to connect to the Smartband at all times except when I am in my car.

So to be able to make the best of it, I had to disable the "Phone audio" from the Smartband Talk. Basically disabling the Talk function. Enter the Bluetooth settings, click the Tool symbol next to the SWR30 connected units, and uncheck the "Phone audio" in the next page. Voila. Or, almost.

Your Smartband Talk will now not react to any incoming calls. So, to see who is calling you need to add "InCallUI" to the notifications menu in the SWR30 app. Now you at least can see who is calling on the Smartband Talk. You will not be able to mute the ringing sound or answer a call with the SWR30 this way, but at least it gives some value to it. I have a Z3, so the InCallUI might have a different name in your phone.

Hope that helps! And I hope this can be addressed from the developers team too. Should be an easy setting if you dont actually dont want to use the Talk function. But by re-checking the box in the Bluetooth menu, you can switch back and forth if you temporarily need the Talk function.

Adept
Message 6 of 41
Message 6 of 41

Settings -> Bluetooth -> SWR30 -> untick "Phone audio". The SWR30 will no longer try to take the Headset profile (HSP) but that also means you can't make outgoing calls from it.

Another more temporary option is to switch the SWR30 off, start your car, let the car stereo grab the AD2P, then turn the SWR30 back on. The SWR30 won't be able to take the HSP profile until the car stereo is turned back off though - ie, no outgoing calls from it either.

Adviser
Message 7 of 41
Message 7 of 41

Re: WARNING: Car Bluetooth phone system will NOT work if SWR30 is connected to a mobile phone!

There is a simplest way to do that.. I bought a widget app called Bluetooth pair... and I have placed on home screen for sw30... when I want pair other Bluetooth device first I tap on widget and the swr30 is turned off than I can pair other bluetooh devices, is the same way but is much more convenient
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 41
Message 8 of 41

At least you (and paul28) are on the same wavelength as me and figured out the same workaround!

For me, after several days of employing this method and too often forgetting to either switch off/ on profile, the simple switch off of the band before getting into car and then on once I had started the car made sense. The problem for me here is that doing this frequently daily I believe the button will breakdown sooner than later, in addition to me forgetting! I thought I had found a neat way by using an NFC tag to switch off the band once in the car, but unfortunately there is no option to actually switch off the device!

It is totally bizarre that Sony developers could not have predicted the use of this Smartband Talk in a car environment with other Bluetooth handsfree devices and used the newer Bluetooth 4.0 with different profiles (as in the SmartWtach SWR50, even the older Smartband SWR10 uses it though more for energy saving)!

I hope next year the next Smartband addresses this fundamental flaw, but in the meantime I am going to try ensaro's suggestion of "Bluetooth Pair", I have also noticed "Bluetooth Auto Connect"...  if becomes too much of a hassle I will, very reluctantly, return the SWR30 Slightly frowning Face

Happy New Year in advance Party

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 41
Message 9 of 41

As stated before, I really like the SmartBand Talk and was very disappointed to learn that it could not coexist with a car Bluetooth system! Having had a few days off between Christmas and New Year I was determined to resolve this "flaw" and am glad to report that I have and in a slick way!

Prompted by "ensaro's" widget suggestion, unfortunately I did not want a toggle which had to be manually executed, it had to be automatic. So I thoroughly researched the Google Play Store, trying out many, and ended up with 2 apps which were real contenders: Trigger (by Egomotion) and Automagic (by Gridvision).

Both apps basically allow you to create a trigger (eg Bluetooth Car Audio wants to connect to phone) followed by an action (eg switch off Bluetooth phone connection to SmartBand, followed by switch on connection to Bluetooth Car Audio). Trigger calls this automation task a Trigger, Automagic calls it a Flow.Trigger is fairly intuitive visually, but unfortunately support for this supposedly highly rated app seems no longer to exist! This became very frustrating for me as at times it would not run (however, it also allows a widget to be created to manually run the task manually)... therefore I dug in to the more heavyweight Automagic!

Automagic uses a dynamic flowchart, where you add a trigger, an optional condition (true/ false) and finally action(s). The style reminded me of my programing days many years ago and the logical nature excited me. The possibilities are huge and may scare off some users looking for a quick result, but in fact it is really quite easy to use, especially once you undertstand some of the slightly "obscure" terminology used (after all this a German programer at work and some translation suggestions may be required).

At the end of the day I created 2 flows, one to connect to the car system (via disconnection of SmartBand and then connection to my car) and one to reconnect to the SmartBand when not in car (the trigger being that the car Bluetooth is no longer connected/ disconnected). These flows are passive and apparently use very little battery power, executing when a trigger condition is matched and so far is working well.

If anyone wants to see how my flows are constructed, I will be happy to email them. You open them up directly in Automagic (going to their site allows you to download a 9 day trial with up to 3 flows working)... my flows are embellished with extra actions, such as switching off WiFi and playing a sound when a connection has taken place... and most important of all there is a forum with lots of help and examples and I was really happy when the progaming author, Martin, actually replied to a query...

Problem... sorted! Automagic is well worth £2.40

Nerd Face

Trophy

Regular
Message 10 of 41
Message 10 of 41

Re: How to prioritise connection of CAR Bluetooth PHONE system/ device over SmartBand Talk SWR30

Hi Nirmy,

I too was scouring the play store for some similar method of automating the disconnect / reconnect of my smartband.

Please could you send me examples of your flows as I can't seem to get mine working my car throws up a connection error.

Let's hope sony add a similar feature to the smart connect app in the future.

However once I confirm this works with my cars BT and my SWR30 I will gladly be handing over my £2.40 to Automagic.