account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Experiences with Smartband talk

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

Experiences with Smartband talk

I have the smartband talk for a day now and I'm very pleased with it. 

The battery is working beter, it is more stylish and light weight and the message notifications are better than expected.

I have a few improvements as well which I hope that will come with firmware updates:

• I am not able to see the seconds on the clock. I don't want this all the time, but it would be awesome if seconds can be add to the worldclock extension. Those seconds could mean getting on the train/bus on time or seeing it drive away on front of me
  • There is a ghosting effect on th screen which is a bit annoying. I read that other E ink displays can have it as well, but can be removed by erasing the screen more often (http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/15r5ca/kindle_paperwhite_subtle_ghosting_effect_when/)

8 REPLIES 8
Adept
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: Experiences with Smartband talk

I'll take a guess and suggest item 1 and 2 are actually related. Sony won't do seconds, because that'd require a per-second refresh of the e-ink - and the ghosting would then mean every few seconds it'd need to do a full screen refresh. And overall that'd mean high battery consumption on a device with only a tiny battery.

Adviser
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

I know it would be very battery cosnuming if seconds are always on. I hope for an option in eg the world clock app that seconds can be added, so in the event that I want to see seconds I can go to the app. 

Adept
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Why is my world clock not giving me the correct time.
I am in Singapore and i have set my world clock for Bangkok. Why is the clock only half hour difference. Bangkok should be one hour behind singapore
Rookie
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

Reasons why I REALLY regret buying this SmartBand Talk

I've been using the SmartBand Talk for one month now, and I'm really aware of most of the details and here I list the reasons this is the worst product Sony has made so far.

It does promise you simple tasks, and exactly because of this, if tails to delivery what it promises.

1) According to Sony, I'm a sleep-walking

The SmartBand has the ability to tell that I'm sleeping and at the same time it register a few steps, should I install a cam to check if I'm a sleep-walking?

2) Accordding to Sony, I can type on a keyboard and walk at the same time

Yes, whenever I start to type, it start to register as I'm walking, it also makes this annoying sound that I reached my walking goal without even leave the chair, amazing, I feel like a true jogger.

3) According to Sony, I can  walk 3.2km in 4 minutes

The problem is, I was running, and it wasn't 4 minutes, it was 20 minutes.

4) Sleeping on a plane during an overseas flight is a mix of walking, being awake, deep sleeps or all together

5) I'm sleeping while I'm reading a book

6) I can get deep sleep while on the couch watching TV, and I swear I didn't fall asleep, it was an action movie

Now a list of why you shouldn't buy this "Smart" gadget.

1) It is not smart, it depends on your smartphone to do everything, you can't even keep a note with 2 lines of information if you get disconnected from your phone;

2) You can't change the homescreen, not even 12/24 hours, even the cheapest watch you buy from China can do that;

3) It lacks of basic watch functionalities: if you want to use a countdown, you can't;

4) You can't turn off this annoying sound it makes everytime you reach a preset goal, if you're at work, typing, it register as walking and makes this sound and people stare at you;

5) The apps Sony made ARE SO SIMPLE that even the basic things you can't do using this SmartBand:

- You have an App to locate your phone, but let's say you forget your phone and walk away, it just get disconnected and you don't get a notification for that, THIS sound would be great "hey, you're leaving your phone behind" or "hey, someone stole your phone from your pocket just now"

- The App to control the Music Player doesn't give you the option to skip music, this is one of the most used, it gives you the ability to increase or decrease the sound and play or plause, but you have to push menu a few times to get to the place, it's MUCH faster go straight to the phone and do that, because the SmartBand Talk does NOT keep another screen for more than a couple of seconds, forcing you to go to the App Screen everytime you want to use it;

- You can't see the date except  you install the calendar, all digital watches and most of the analog gives you the date on the first screen, come one...

- The homescreen is so patetic... it shows the time (exclusively hour and minute in the 24 hour style) and a ball with a draw of a boy in the middle showing what you're doing now, just standing, walking, running and shows how much you reached from your goal, but if it is not reliable, why should I have this and change to another thing?

- It is a own OS system, so you can't use any of the Android Wear Apps;

- If you buy an App from a third party, like a better clock style, you will still need to reach the menu a couple of times to get to the App just to see a better screen to show you the time, and few seconds later, it goes back to that ugly and boring homescreen you can't change.

6) You can't personalize ANYTHING on this Watch, you can't change the sound for alarm, you can't switch off the sound and keep just the vibration for the phone alarm, you can't change anything at all from the homescreen, not even change the ordem to allow another App stay there more than a few seconds, you can't change the volume from the Alarm, if it suggest to wake you up at a softer time (during a light sleep), you don't want to be scared about this awful sound, I would love to choose a softer sound. You can't change the time standard, the date, you can change NOTHING;

7) The style is awesome and was the main reason I bought this piece of **** ... I just trusted that was a Sony-made-gadget and it was supposed to be good, but they delivered the product in the testing stage, people that bought this garbage when it was launched, they didn't have the sleep monitor, it was added after a few months, WHO IN THE **bleep** lanch a product in the market without the basic functionalities?

I could go over and over with tons of more reasons why this is a garbage and there are lots of other smartwatches out there that really delivery what it promises.

Emperor
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

Re: Reasons why I REALLY regret buying this SmartBand Talk

@hugoleosp 

1. how accurate is your GPS ?

2. same as 1

3. same as 1

4. I wasn't able to recreate that

5. check night mode settings on smartconnect

6. same as 5

1. it's not advertised to work on its own, even any Android Smartwatch requires a phone, that's a google restriction (not to include SIM card ports on the watch)

2. its not a watch but a smartband, although there's a way around this.

3. its a smartband not a smartwatch/watch, 

4. GPS issues could cause this, I agree with you, users should be allowed to disable the sound alarms.

5. Indeed, perhaps more developers jump in and create new apps

a. there's no way around it, bluetooth can only be connected up to 10 meters, asuming that there's nothing inbetween. the SBT should vibrate if it gets disconnected. 

b. This part its odd, the SmartBand works as follow tap once to play/stop, tap twice to skip, tap thrice to play the previous track

c. there should be more options regarding this. 

etc etc

Based on your comments what you want its The SmartWatch3 as it use Android Wear and you can use multiple apps, etc. you should really look into it. The Smartband and Smartband talk are more like fitness bands. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Rookie
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

My GPS is in high accurate mode.

I don't want a SmartWatch, I just want the basic things of a watch and a simple tracker, but, as I described, it does not delivery this very basic functions.

Sony launched an unfinished product to the market, selling stufs as "coming soon" and even functions that was (inaccurate) working, they removed after an upgrade.

And the problem are all software related, even people doing Apps on Google Play do better than Sony, like the Watch you can buy and lots of people mention the developer here at Sony Forum.

It is a watch you can't personalize 12/24 hours, have the date in the homescreen and other silly things.

But it is also a fit tracker that you cannot trust because if measures wrong activities that a simple algorithm could fix, like walk and sleep at the same time, or type and walk, those are very easy to be fixed by software.

And who, for God sakes, wants this skinny man filling half of the screen all the time? I do love sports and I do walk a lot, but I don't want to be reminded this 24/7, so it should have options to adjust on my routine, if I'm at work, I want to see something different, if I'm driving, or listening to some music... all those very simple for what the hardware can offer.

I bet someone trusts the accuracy of the fit tracker here ..... do you ?

Rookie
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

1. how accurate is your GPS ?

Answer: high accurate

2. same as 1

3. same as 1

4. I wasn't able to recreate that

5. check night mode settings on smartconnect

Should I tell to my WristBand that I'm reading and not walking? So I'm supposed to do the accelerometer and algorithm work

6. same as 5

Again, it should detect if I'm walking, when people walk, they usualy move the arms back and forward, and every step, the body moves forward with a soft impact that any accelerometer can detect, If I'm sleeping, I can move my arms, but I bet I go further and has any kind of impact

1. it's not advertised to work on its own, even any Android Smartwatch requires a phone, that's a google restriction (not to include SIM card ports on the watch)

Answer: It does not need to work as its own, but if downloaded anything from the phone, it should keep that information until it gets reconnected, like, the Smart Badge, if you fill any information but gets away from your phone, you can't see it again, I don't believe the SmartBand doesn't have memory to keep 4 very shorts lines of information, and it is not a Android Wear gadget, I doubt it is an Android on the SmartBand.

2. its not a watch but a smartband, although there's a way around this.

Answer: the same workaround as change the phone's standard that doesn't work to other people in this forum complaining?

3. its a smartband not a smartwatch/watch, 

It's a smartband that show the time but not the date on the screen, and if promises to count your step, it could also have a chronometer, this is VERY simple and is intuitive connected to the ability to have something measuring your steps and goals .... and every silly watch has it, it doesn't need to be smart, so, you don't need a smartwatch to have it

4. GPS issues could cause this, I agree with you, users should be allowed to disable the sound alarms.

If it uses a GPS to measure how many steps, sleep time or whatever, why does it have an accelerometer? I complained about the inability to turn off the sound when you reach a goal, about the inaccuracy is another sotry I talked in another item

5. Indeed, perhaps more developers jump in and create new apps

The lackness of freedom to truely personalize the screen will not estimulate people to make Apps with so few functions

a. there's no way around it, bluetooth can only be connected up to 10 meters, asuming that there's nothing inbetween. the SBT should vibrate if it gets disconnected. 

I know BT works up to 10 meters only, I'm telling if I'm at the Gym and put the smartphone next to me, but I forgets it and move to the next equipment, it doesn't alert me that I lost connection, it just show an icon on the up corner, but no sound or vibration and there's no place to setup that, and I heard the SW10 has this function, like a few more functions that was not made available to the SW30

b. This part its odd, the SmartBand works as follow tap once to play/stop, tap twice to skip, tap thrice to play the previous track

If you read the online manual, it does not tell you that, you're just telling me this now and I read lots of people complaing about the lackness of skip track function, just tested, and indeed change tracks after you tap firmly, but the thing is, if I tap twice it just play/pause, if I tap three times, it skipps the music, but as you have to "firmly" tap to have this happening, you'll get frustated about how hard is to change music, you need to tap mode 4 times (my configuration) to get to the Music App, then tap 3 times to change music, and if you want to do it in the next music, you'll need to start over, as the screen goes back to the default, so, it's much easier just to pick up my phone from my pocket and do this.

c. there should be more options regarding this. 

Emperor
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Contact Sony directly 

http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/contactUs/

keep in mind that this forum is for us, users, to help each other. 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)