account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

A number of SmartBand questions

SOLVED
Highlighted
jml
Regular
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

A number of SmartBand questions

Having used it for a while, now, I have a number of questions relating to the band...

• how do I delete or adjust individual events? This isn't so much a question of privacy (though the EU might disagree here, lifeloggers and worn devices are generally classified as falling under 'medical data' provisions) as it's one about false positives, such as the 2,000 steps it logs every time I type on my keyboard.
  • are there plans for an API and a web based functionality? It's not really a lifelog if it just logs my life on the phone and neglects the many things about me that are tracked by other devices and apps. Not to mention my steps and running in a vacuum are somewhat useless to me, they get interesting when coupled with my eating (myFitnessPal), weight (Withings), blood pressure (Withings), and other sources of data.
  • in comparing it to manual counting, a mechanical pedometer, Basis, FitBit, UP, and Withings, I notice that step tracking is generally pretty accurate but totally fails when pushing strollers, doing sprint/jog/walk intervals, or going uphill. Would it be better to carry it in my pocket in those cases?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Re: A number of SmartBand questions

• how do I delete or adjust individual events? This isn't so much a question of privacy (though the EU might disagree here, lifeloggers and worn devices are generally classified as falling under 'medical data' provisions) as it's one about false positives, such as the 2,000 steps it logs every time I type on my keyboard. 

- At the moment its not possible to adjust or delete individual events but its something that is in scope for development but I have no further info about this today.

• are there plans for an API and a web based functionality? It's not really a lifelog if it just logs my life on the phone and neglects the many things about me that are tracked by other devices and apps. Not to mention my steps and running in a vacuum are somewhat useless to me, they get interesting when coupled with my eating (myFitnessPal), weight (Withings), blood pressure (Withings), and other sources of data.

-  Yes there are plans on on both web based funtionallities and API, but have no timings at the moment.

• in comparing it to manual counting, a mechanical pedometer, Basis, FitBit, UP, and Withings, I notice that step tracking is generally pretty accurate but totally fails when pushing strollers, doing sprint/jog/walk intervals, or going uphill. Would it be better to carry it in my pocket in those cases?

No, today there is nothing stating it would work better in the pocket. Can you give us more information about what accurate is for you, how do you compare and what situations you see this.

5 REPLIES 5
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Let me check this and get back to you.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

- At the moment its not possible to adjust or delete individual events but its something that is in scope for development but I have no further info about this today.

-  Yes there are plans on on both web based funtionallities and API, but have no timings at the moment.

No, today there is nothing stating it would work better in the pocket. Can you give us more information about what accurate is for you, how do you compare and what situations you see this.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

I believe anything worn on the wrist (even the FitBit Flex) will have inaccuracy when you are pushinng a stroller or trolley ... I had the same problems last time where steps are not calculated when pushing stroller (with the SmartBand and also the FitBit Flex and the now defunct Force)...

Not sure how Sony can make the device better to detect steps if your wrist do not move

Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact LTE SGP621
jml
Regular
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

@sookk80 wrote:

I believe anything worn on the wrist (even the FitBit Flex) will have inaccuracy when you are pushinng a stroller or trolley ... I had the same problems last time where steps are not calculated when pushing stroller (with the SmartBand and also the FitBit Flex and the now defunct Force)...

Not sure how Sony can make the device better to detect steps if your wrist do not move

It's a little bit of voodoo and a little bit of post-processing. Luckily Sony can do this, unlike FitBit, because it can delegate some of the step counting to the phone and doesn't have to do all of it in-device so it can take larger chunks and derive drift from them. In general, the SmartBand is currently the least accurate of all bands I have tested (http://jml.is/2014/05/sony-smartband-swr10-accuracy-and-contemplations/) trailing even the notoriously inaccurate ones like first gen Nike and Basis.

I believe that those things can be fixed, though, my wife loves the band too much to give up on it Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hello

>>At the moment its not possible to adjust or delete individual events but its something that is in scope for development but I >>have no further info about this today.

+1 for this feature

Christmas is coming...

Any news please ?

+1 for the API

In fact could we please access data as CSV or excel spreadsheet please

That would be great

Thanks

Regards

PS: I chose the closest thread theme to post for the feature request since a com. manager is registered to it

PS EDIT

seen

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2014/09/24/lifelog-open-api-and-web-interface-launching-globally/