account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Xperia Companion Backup Error

SOLVED
Rookie
Message 1 of 20
Message 1 of 20

Xperia Companion Backup Error

I installed Xperia Companion and connected my phone in MTP mode. Then I clicked on Backup, filled name and password and started backup process. Backup process freezed on ~50%. I waited for some time and clicked Cancel button.

Now when I click on Backup I get this message and Companion doesn't let me open Backup screen.

xperiabug.png

I've tried to uninstall\install, disconnect\connect my phone. I've checked sys reg for Sony keys - nothing found. I've tried to remove Sony dir in My Documents - no luck.

How to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Re: Xperia Companion Backup Error

Hi @Sandello, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with creating the backup. Slightly frowning Face

Did you restart your phone before you tried to create the backup again? If you haven't done that, please try to do that.

If it works after rebooting the phone and the backup process still freezes before it completes, try creating a new backup and uncheck "Other" under "My data". Since there might be some app data that Xperia Companion is having troubles with backing up and that is why the process froze the last time.

You can also try and create a backup directly in the phone settings that @nolramlb suggested. Depending on which phone you have there is either an app called Backup & restore or directly in the Settings menu > Backup & reset.

Let me know how it goes! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

19 REPLIES 19
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 20
Message 2 of 20

could you try with the backup service on the settings?

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Sony Xperia Support
Message 3 of 20
Message 3 of 20

Hi @Sandello, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with creating the backup. Slightly frowning Face

Did you restart your phone before you tried to create the backup again? If you haven't done that, please try to do that.

If it works after rebooting the phone and the backup process still freezes before it completes, try creating a new backup and uncheck "Other" under "My data". Since there might be some app data that Xperia Companion is having troubles with backing up and that is why the process froze the last time.

You can also try and create a backup directly in the phone settings that @nolramlb suggested. Depending on which phone you have there is either an app called Backup & restore or directly in the Settings menu > Backup & reset.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Rookie
Message 4 of 20
Message 4 of 20

OK, after I restarted my phone and unchecked „other“ in Companion, it was able to complete backup.

BTW when I run manual backup in my phone (settings - backup and restore - more - manual backup) it frezes on 50% if „applications“ is selected. If „applications“ is unchecked phone completes backup w/o any problems.

Thank you for your help! Slightly smiling Face

Sony Xperia Support
Message 5 of 20
Message 5 of 20

Glad to hear it's working now! Slightly smiling Face

Since you experience the same trouble when creating a manual backup in your phone when including applications there is some app data that is either corrupt or can't be backed up.

I'm afraid it's hard to say which application the data that you aren't able to backup is related to. If you want you can uninstall one application at the time and create a new manual backup after each app has been uninstalled to see which application is causing the backup to not complete.

This is however very time consuming. Slightly frowning Face

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with! Slightly smiling Face

Rookie
Message 6 of 20
Message 6 of 20

Once again, thank you for you help ) it was quick Slightly smiling Face

Maybe you can provide some tech details like... what data exactly backup process is trying to get access to? Like... what directories it's trying to copy? Maybe it's possible to check accessibility with some... file manager tool or something?

Thank you anyway)

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 20
Message 7 of 20

I'm afraid I don't have any information about that. Slightly frowning Face

One time poster
Message 8 of 20
Message 8 of 20

I have the same problem so, if you would like to prove with my data feel free to contact me.

It could you help us to resolve the problem.

Thanks
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 20
Message 9 of 20

Hi @Matxembrat, welcome to our community!

I'm sorry to hear about that. Slightly frowning Face

Do you receive the same error message when trying to perform the backup, or are you not able to complete the backup due to it stopping at a certain point?

Was any of my previous troubleshooting any help? If not, could you provide me with which phone model you have? There may be other options on how to create a backup to for example, a SD card.

You can find out which phone model you have if you go to Settings > About phone > Model number.

One time poster
Message 10 of 20
Message 10 of 20

Please make instructions clearer on your program's ui about this subject, so that next time I will not waste about 5 hours all together trying this and trying that before I found this topic. Btw. why is the send email option on your contact support page disabled?