account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

Learner
Message 41 of 49
Message 41 of 49

Connect to PC via Wi-Fi

Is it possible? I use latest Xperia Companion, and there is no such option as Wi-Fi connection - only USB is available. 

Thank you! 

Emperor
Message 42 of 49
Message 42 of 49

Re: Connect to PC via Wi-Fi

It has been asked before, use the search bar and you will find it.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Adept
Message 43 of 49
Message 43 of 49

Media Transfer via WiFi disappeared?

Hi,

I have a D5833 and am currently on Android 6.0.1 running build 23.5.A.1.291

I'm not sure if this is due to the maintenance update I received and installed recently (13 Oct 2016) but I no longer have the ability to connect my phone to my PC via WiFi in order to do wireless media transfer (which has always been a function: http://support.sonymobile.com/ie/xperiaz3compact/userguide/Managing-files-using-a-computer/ ).

Has anyone else noticed this? Or is it just my phone?

Cheers.

Adept
Message 44 of 49
Message 44 of 49

Re: Media Transfer via WiFi disappeared?

Sigh. Looks like this option has been removed for some unknown reason.

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/PC-Mac-Software/Wireless-connect-to-PC-no-longer-work-after-Android-6...

Why remove a feature that was working so well?

Adept
Message 45 of 49
Message 45 of 49

Re: Connect to PC via Wi-Fi

Such a horrible, horrible move to remove this feature. It was so useful.

Really cannot understand the reason behind Sony removing this feature.

Adept
Message 46 of 49
Message 46 of 49

Re: Wireless data transfer problem after the marshmallow update

@Christofer wrote:

Hi @johnowen77,

The feature to transfer files using Media transfer mode via Wi-Fi has been removed in Android 6. Moreover, the Media transfer mode will not be available in Xperia Companion, the new tool that is replacing PC Companion, because Windows 8.1 has removed the trigger menu. If you want to transfer file, you can use the USB connection or third party apps such as AirDroid.

So apparently the people over at Xperia Care are not aware of this feature being removed. They are also, clearly, using old advice as part of their reply due to the reference to "Windows Vista or 7" and not Windows 8/8.1/10. Read reply below:

Thank you for contacting Sony Xperia™ care,

You should still be able to use Wi-Fi for the transfer.

You can transfer files between your device and other MTP compatible devices, such as a computer, using a Wi-Fi connection. Before connecting, you first need to pair the two devices.

In order to use this feature, you need a Wi-Fi enabled device that supports Media transfer, for example, a computer running Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7.

To prepare to use your device wirelessly with a computer

1)      Make sure Media transfer mode is enabled on your device. It is normally enabled by default.

2)      Make sure the Wi-Fi function is turned on.

3)      From your Home screen, tap .

4)      Find and tap Settings > Device connection > USB Connectivity.

5)      Tap Pair with PC, then tap Next.

6)      Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.

To connect wirelessly to a paired device

1)      Make sure Media transfer mode is enabled on your device. It is normally enabled by default.

2)      Make sure the Wi-Fi function is turned on.

3)      From your Home screen, tap .

4)      Find and tap Settings > Device connection > USB Connectivity.

5)      Select the paired device to which you want to connect, then tap Connect.

To disconnect from a paired device

1)      From your Home screen, tap .

2)      Find and tap Settings > Device connection > USB Connectivity.

3)      Select the paired device that you want to disconnect.

4)      Tap Disconnect.

To remove a pairing with another device

1)      From your Home screen, tap .

2)      Find and tap Settings > Device connection > USB Connectivity.

3)      Under Setup, select the paired device that you want to remove.

4)      Tap Unpair.

If you are not given this option I would recommend to perform a software repair on your handset as this is likely to resolve the issues currently being experienced. Please find below an easy to follow guide on how to perform this. This function can also be used to remove the pattern lock from your Xperia handset if it is forgotten.

If these steps do not resolve the issue you are facing, please do contact us back as we are committed to providing you the best support we can.

Running the software repair

Before you begin, you will need to install Xperia Companion from the Sony Xperia website, the application is available for both OSX and Windows based systems. You can download each from the following links:

Windows/PC - http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/xperia-companion/

OSX/Mac - http://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/xperia-companion-mac/

Please note it may be the case that user data is lost during this upgrade. We therefore recommend backing up any data to your SIM card, Memory Stick, or system before upgrading.

Once this is installed I would advise to connect the phone to the computer and open Xperia companion.

Next select "Back up" and follow the prompts.

This will ensure you do not lose any data through the repair steps.

You can find a step by step picture guide in the following link if you need a bit more help:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-backup-and-restore-your-files-using-Xperia-Companion/m-p/1...

Once installed and backed up, to then perform a repair on your handset’s software, please follow the steps below, making sure that at the start of the process the device is turned off and disconnected from the computer:

1. Open Xperia Companion
2. Click Software Repair
3. Some on screen steps will now appear for you to follow. Please do not connect the handset until you are prompted to do so.
4. When you are asked to connect the handset (still with the phone powered off) please press and hold the key stated on screen for 30 seconds before connecting the handset and keep it held down as you connect
5. The repair process should now begin.

Please ensure your handset is not connected to your system when performing the above as you will be instructed to connect your handset once you have followed the above steps. Your handset must also remain powered off at all times.

You can find a step by step picture guide in the following link if you need a bit more help:

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/How-to-perform-a-software-repair-with-Xperia-Companion/m-p/110305...

Please be aware that if an update to a later version of Android has become available for your Sony Xperia handset the new version may be installed. If this is the case you may notice some differences in the functionality of your handset when updating. All information regarding these changes can be viewed on the following link. We would recommend reading through the following before updating: www.sonymobile.com/gb/software

If these steps do not resolve the issue you are facing, please do contact us back so that we may troubleshoot this further for you. We would appreciate you providing the SR number from the subject line of this email if you need to contact us back to ensure seamless support.

As part of Sony Mobile's commitment to excellent customer service, we offer a wide variety of mobile products to suit your lifestyle. If you require more information, or have any other questions, please visit www.sonymobile.com or call us on Australia 1300 650 050 or New Zealand 0800 100 150  Mon-Fri 9:00am - 6:00pm.

Kind Regards,

Ainsley

Sony Xperia™ care

Apprentice
Message 47 of 49
Message 47 of 49

Re: Wireless data transfer problem after the marshmallow update

Can't believe you did that and I need to use some ASUS SHARE FILE 3rd party app to do the obvious.

More so when the side flaps of the Z3 Compact get worn easily and ruin the experience with the phone. Seamless Wifi File transfer has to come back CITO!

Learner
Message 48 of 49
Message 48 of 49

Wifi transfert file

Hello,

I would like to transfert files between my home PC and my Xperia Z3 without data cable using wifi

I did it before with my Xperia Z1  and pc companion, but now with the new version of Xperia companion  it doesn't work,

I have no option in "USB connectivity" to connect my PC, i connect my usb cable , i choose "MTP transfert" ... nothing happen

Any suggestion ?

One time poster
Message 49 of 49
Message 49 of 49

Re: Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

Very late to the party, as I never updated my Z3 Compact from Android 4 !!

Recently updated through 5 and now to 6 and I have now lost the ability to wirelessly move my pictures to my laptop for secure keeping and freeing up space on my phone. I wish I had never updated.

I cannot believe what SONY have done here, I feel so angry with them for taking away the easiest way of transfering files, I have no intention of buggering up my usb port, my phone is still waterproof and dustproof, I even charge it via the magnetic port so as to not loosen the usb cover (a main reason I am yet to update from the Z3 as no other Sony phone uses magnetic charging)

Now SONY have given me a reason NOT to upgrade to another SONY phone anyway, what is the point if you cannot transfer files easily

Well and truly off with SONY, great customer service lads and lasses, another customer who will go elsewhere next time