account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

Talent
Message 1 of 49
Message 1 of 49

Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

I can no longer connect to my PC via wireless after Android M update.  I had my connection setup on 5.1.1 where I can follow the instruction on Sony PC companion to connect and pair with my PC. I was able to transfer datas to and from my phone to my PC without using a wire. 

It's a nice to have feature. Any work around?

48 REPLIES 48
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 49
Message 2 of 49

Re: Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

I'm afraid this feature is no longer available in the new version and our new PC software, Xperia Companion.

But there are different 3:rd party apps that you can try to transfer files between your phone and PC over WiFi. You could for example try AirDroid or MyPhoneExplorer.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 3 of 49
Message 3 of 49

Re: Wireless connect to PC no longer work after Android 6.0.1 update

Come on! why do I need to install a third party software to access wirelessly my phone after the update!  losing this existing feature on sony pc companion is not good! it was one of the advantages over the previous phone brand I had.  Please consider bringing this feature back!

Visitor
Message 4 of 49
Message 4 of 49

Wireless data transfer problem after the marshmallow update

After the marshmallow update on my xperia z3, the wireless data transfer under the usb connectivity is gone, anyone has the same problem with me? can anyone help me with this, i would really appreciate it if someone would. thanks...

Emperor
Message 5 of 49
Message 5 of 49

Re: Wireless data transfer problem after the marshmallow update

@johnowen77

Could you elaborate?

Settings > Device connection 

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Visitor
Message 6 of 49
Message 6 of 49

it was on settings - device connection - USB Connectivity.

the only option on marshmallow update is "Install Software", but before in lollipop, there are other options aside from install software. after the update on marshmallow, i can't connect to my pc via wifi anymore.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 49
Message 7 of 49

Hi @johnowen77,

The feature to transfer files using Media transfer mode via Wi-Fi has been removed in Android 6. Moreover, the Media transfer mode will not be available in Xperia Companion, the new tool that is replacing PC Companion, because Windows 8.1 has removed the trigger menu. If you want to transfer file, you can use the USB connection or third party apps such as AirDroid.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Adept
Message 8 of 49
Message 8 of 49

Can't connect to Computer Via WiFi since Android 6 upgrade

Since upgrading to Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 and Sony 23.5.A.0.570,  I can no longer connect to the computer via WiFi.  When I attach the phone via USB I get the following window.

Z3 1.jpg

I have no idea what "Your device is locked" means.  I have had this phone for almost two years and have never locked it whatever that means. Anyhow I have set it to MTP mode and that just gives me a means of transfering files over USB cable. I am looking for wifi connection to my Windows 7 box which has not been a problem before.

In my settings Device Connection > USB> USB connectivity  - it no longer shows the name of my computer. There is only "Install Software " switch and that is set to On.

So in Sony Companion I follow the procedure for connecting with WiFi and it runs through the procedure until I end up with :

Z3 3.jpg

I tried reinstalling the upgrade but to no avail.

Any ideas

Talent
Message 9 of 49
Message 9 of 49

@Johnowen77

That's the reason why I open this post. because the feature is no longer avilable on Android M, which means wireless connectivity with your PC is not avilable as well. Sony removed this option on Android M along with other usuful features such as mounting the SD card as internal memory. 

Highlighted
Adept
Message 10 of 49
Message 10 of 49

Another reason to never buy a Sony Phone again. Nothing but frustration.