account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Where is the Xperia™ Companion for Linux

One time poster
Message 1 of 36
Message 1 of 36

Where is the Xperia™ Companion for Linux

Android is a GNU/Linux OS.

So why can't I find the Companion application for my Linux PC?

35 REPLIES 35
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 36
Message 2 of 36

Re: Where is the Xperia™ Companion for Linux

Hi @DzeiDzei,

Currently we only offer Xperia Companion for Windows and Mac operative systems. Even though Android is based on the Linux Kernel, please note that Xperia Companion is meant for home computers and is not related to the operative system our handsets run.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

One time poster
Message 3 of 36
Message 3 of 36

Sad... Sony doesn t "support" freedom.  And... "companion"... it doesn t "mean" for home PC... it is "mean" to be a extra tool for phone. Only reason to use "companion" it is to take full advantage from you phone. There are millions of peoples who use Linux.... so... Sony don t care about those customers?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 36
Message 4 of 36

Hi @Dorin_se

I understand what you mean, but I am sorry to say that we currently do not have an alternative of Xperia Companion available for Linux. However, I will make sure to forward this internally as user feedback on your behalf! 

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

Adviser
Message 5 of 36
Message 5 of 36

Hi, are there any news about Xperia™ Companion on Linux?

Thank you

Best regards

Frantisek

Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 36
Message 6 of 36

Hi @Kwaka! I am sorry to say that we at this time do not offer an Linux variant. Slightly frowning Face What I can do is that I can forward this internally as user feedback on your behalf, though! Slightly smiling Face

Visitor
Message 7 of 36
Message 7 of 36

Not ideal, but if you run Windows in a virtual machine, for example using Virtual Box, you can use the Sony Companion that way.

Visitor
Message 8 of 36
Message 8 of 36

Again not ideal, but another option I have been using is to get a Dual USB-drive (USB 3.0 one end, micro-USB at the other) and transfer the files to the drive and then onto to somewhere else.

This is a handy trick for copying files to/from someone else's machine (that doesn't have the Companion installed) and there is no WiFi available.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 36
Message 9 of 36

Thank you for giving advice @paulc4! It may be worth a try if you do not have access to a Windows or Mac based computer, but please note that I can't guarantee that it will work. Slightly frowning Face

Apprentice
Message 10 of 36
Message 10 of 36

I think that in terms of file transfer you can just plug in your phone to a PC running Linux and  it will work just fine treating the phone like external storage. There is no need for any tricks or special software.

Xperia Companion is however useful for other things such as software repair and back up.