account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Where is the Xperia™ Companion for Linux

Sony Xperia Support
Message 11 of 35
Message 11 of 35

Re: Where is the Xperia™ Companion for Linux

Hi @geras, yes - to my knowledge it should be possible to transfer files to- and from an Xperia to a Linux based OS as long as the distribution has MTP support. However, please note that I am not an expert and I'm also unable to offer support for Linux. Slightly frowning Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Pioneer
Message 12 of 35
Message 12 of 35

@geras wrote:

I think that in terms of file transfer you can just plug in your phone to a PC running Linux and  it will work just fine treating the phone like external storage. There is no need for any tricks or special software.

Correct - most distros (including Ubuntu, which I single-boot) will simply detect your mobile device as a mass-storage device... But you will need to select the ability to transfer files from the pull-down menu on your mobile device, as it (your mobile device) will initially connect for charging-only.

You will then have access to your mobile device's internal storage and if you're using one, storage card.

Just remember to close all your folders and unmount the mobile device before disconnecting.

By the way, Xperia Companion might not be available for Linux-based operating systems, but Theme Creator is! Just download Theme Creator, extract it, make Theme Creator executable as a program and then run it. If you're not sure how to get Theme Creator running, feel free to start a post in the forums and one of us will give you a hand...

• I can't help you if you don't tell me what mobile device you're using & what version of Android it is running, in English (you can use Google Translate - http://translate.google.com).
  • The more information you can give me, the easier I can help you!
  •  Please kudo this post if you think it has been helpful; or mark it as the "solution" if it fixed your problem, so that other users facing the same issue can find the solution!
Visitor
Message 13 of 35
Message 13 of 35

REALLY - Come on Sony - get with the program!  When will your NEXT upgrade be and how long to include Linus into your system!!!

TerB

Sony Xperia Support
Message 14 of 35
Message 14 of 35

Hi @TeriB, thank you for voicing your feedback, I appreciate it! Unfortunately I do not know as to if or when there will be Linux support for Xperia Companion, but please rest assured that I've forwarded your user feedback.

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 15 of 35
Message 15 of 35

There is one more voice for Companion for Linux.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 16 of 35
Message 16 of 35

Hi @SanStepan, thank you for taking the time to discuss! I have noted your comment and have forwarded it internally as user feedback. Slightly smiling Face

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 17 of 35
Message 17 of 35

I want to backup my phone. When i search for a way i'm directed to:
https://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiaz2/userguide/backing-up-and-restoring-content-on-a-device/

And the instruction say: "Open the Xperia™ Companion software on your computer" and I'm using linux.

Is there any news about support for linx? How can I backup my phone? I think it's a essential feature to use?
And sorry, using windows or online backup is not an option.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 18 of 35
Message 18 of 35

Hi @kolorafa2, I am sorry to say that currently, Xperia Companion is not available for a Linux based computer. Slightly frowning Face If you wish to back up your device, please try the backup & Restore application in your Xperia Z2 (instructions are detailed in the link you posted).

I will forward your feedback internally regarding Linux based computers!

One time poster
Message 19 of 35
Message 19 of 35

And here one voice more from a linux user.

Pioneer
Message 20 of 35
Message 20 of 35

@Emir

BUMP

Another vote for Xperia Companion on Linux

who knows knows
who doesn't doesn't