account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

PC Companion no longer works

Apprentice
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

PC Companion no longer works

I have been using PC Companion to keep my desktop and my Z3 calendars and contacts in sync. It has worked for me for more than 2 years and is a vital tool for me.  About a week ago PC Companion started reporting that it had "stopped working". I have re-installed it using two separate download sources. Both install ok but both require being updated before continuing. Both give me "Installation error". I have installed Xperia Companion but it doesn't sync with Outlook. I have searched the Sony site for the latest version of PC Companion but keep getting directed to Xperia Companion. Does this mean that Sony has removed the PC Companion tool? My phone is due for replacement soon. If there is no sync woth Outlook tool then I won't be buing another Sony. Does anyone know what is going on? Is there a solution? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Phil G

12 REPLIES 12
Forum Legend
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Re: PC Companion no longer works

yes, unfortunately PC companion is being replaced by Xperia companion. but Xperia companion is hopefully getting updates that will make it as usefull as PCC did.

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
Apprentice
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the response. I find it very frustrating the way companies replace applications with new versions that have half the functionality of the old one. I had the same problem with my TomTom app. Supposedly new and improved but in fact itdoesn't do half what the old one did. Why can't they at least keep the old one running until the new version replicates all of the previous functionality?

Has Sony actually made any announcement about this, or are we all just speculating?

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/03/28/xperia-companion/

I couldn't find any official announcement..

________________________________________________________________________________
The Man! The Myth! The Forum Legend! -Scott Sterling
One time poster
Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

then it is true? ... what will happen? I have a problem my younger brother has an xperia E, but have forgotten your employer, and mail gmail, has been forgotten, and as options I had was pc companion, to restore the software, now Xperia companion asks me to have to hand to restore the mail, or if not trancurso that, if I do not I offer mail and password, informs me that the cellular stay incerbible, how true is that? ... I have not dared to try, by you fear me not answer the phone after, how true is it? someone already has tried? please help or advice ......

One time poster
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Same here, I use my phone to run my business. I have on average 30 appointments every week that are subject to change constantly. I suddenly noticed discrepancies between my outlook calendar and my phone, updates that did not go through either way. I now have missed meetings, visits, duplicate calendar entries. Really this looks bad and really this makes me question ever to buy Sony again.

PC Companion that runs in the background apparently crashed on syncing calendar entries. Tried everything to get this to work again. Xperia companion does not provide any sync options for outlook. Very poor from Sony

One time poster
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

I have the same problem of sync outlook calendar data and contacts no longer go ...

but those were the most important functions that do not exist anymore ???
now there are only back more and restore !!!!

Apprentice
Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

As my query is clearly not an isolated one, perhaps there is a Sony moderator that can give us an update on future plans and/or potential solutions?

Highlighted
Eng
Learner
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

I double booked today because of this sync. issue, not good Sony. I have used Ericsson /Sony for many years now but maybe I need to change to iPhone now?
Apprentice
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

It seems as though even Sony themseves don't know that PC Companion no longer exists. I have just received an email from Sony Mobile telling me that there is a system update for my Z3. It suggests that I download PC Companion to perform the update. "Perhaps there is a new version of PC Companion" I thought. Alas no. The link takes me to the download of Xperia Companion.

Come on Sony, have the courtesy to let us know what your plans are.