account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

PC Companion backup failure

SOLVED
Message 21 of 35
Message 21 of 35

Re: PC Companion backup failure

You should contact xperia care:

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/support/contact-us/

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views. Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Apprentice
Message 22 of 35
Message 22 of 35

Tried again yesterday and the backup was successfull when only "Contacts", "Messages" and "Settings" were selected. Next when I tried selecting "Others" or "Bookmarks" it gave the same error.

Thursday, 22 May: Today I tried backing up my Xperia Z and it worked!!!! This is inconsistent behaviour from PC Companion. Nothing has changed since the last try.

Learner
Message 23 of 35
Message 23 of 35

I see some people have got the issue resolved my selecting a setting in their phone. I recently smashed my screen and thus cannot access the phone at all. So I am trying to back it up using PC companion before I give it to the insurance company to fix as they have to wipe it.

When I start the back up process it prepares for a while and then starts the backup, it gets half way and then just loads for eternity or for several hours before crashing. I am very slowly communicating with the customer care emails so I shall see how it goes.

The first problem they said it could be is that your firewall isn't allowing PC companion access so that's one thing I have changed but still not solved the issue.

UPDATE: I have replied to customer care several times but am not getting a response anymore! I have since tried the backup again and again, this time I am trying to backup each individual heading in the program. ie: Contacts, memos, settings etc. one by one. It crashed during several attempts of each of them and I got as far as the Other category and it has crashed altogether and refuses to do anything now! Must admit I'm getting pretty angry at Sony at this point.

UPDATE 2: They seem to respond if you bombard them with emails and use aggressive lanuage. I have been asked to reinstall the software, try a different machine and now try a different lead. Thank God they were able to think of these options as I could never have thought of them on my own. The Sony Customer Care team truely rival the cognative capacity of the Apple geniuses!

Learner
Message 24 of 35
Message 24 of 35

I have officially given up. Every email I sent Sony was met with a massive delay in response followed by a worthless response asking me to do very basic things, most of which I had already checked myself. End result! PC companion is worthless, and I hope you never have to back up your phone in any way at all. Sony **bleep** balls and I hope whoever created that software is taken out and shot, and anyone who works in customer care fired! Diabolical!

Adviser
Message 25 of 35
Message 25 of 35

Backups fail 90% of the times

A perfect metaphor for PC Companion is a huge train wreck.

Slow, unresponsive, lags my computer, freezes for no reason. Backup fails 90+% of the times. It just goes on till 70% then it keeps on loading nothing till eternity.

Completely hopeless.

I can't even formulate a question.

Adviser
Message 26 of 35
Message 26 of 35

I opened a new thread for this, thinking I was the only guy with this issue.

So wrong I was.

Rookie
Message 27 of 35
Message 27 of 35

Hmmm. This is all quite worrying.

It's taken me a long time to get PC Companion working (due to MFT driver issues). Now it's detecting my phone and I want to back it up. Everything. The reason, as with most, is that I'd like to be able to restore it if it's gets lost or stolen.

So I'm trying the Backup tool in SPCC. Is it working for me? Nope.

The default selection when starting a backup is everything. That results in an infinite wait time in the Prepare panel, so you have to kill it.

From this thread I've learned that it's useless at Media backup, so I selected the other stuff  only (Messages, Notes etc.) and this time the Preparation was immedaite, but the Backup part is making no progress. It said it needed 100kB to store my backup, yet after 10 minutes it hasn't made any progress!

SPCC really is a disappointing piece of software from a world-class leading hardware manufacturer. I'm very disappointed in this.

Rookie
Message 28 of 35
Message 28 of 35

PC Companion Backup doesn't work - at all

There are loads of posts on here about SPCC Backup not working. I'm flabbergasted at just how useless this tool is!

The default setting is to backup everything. From experience (my own and everyone elses) this absolutely and categorically fails. The recommendation on here is to ensure Media items (Music, Videos and Photos) are deselected.

That leaves Contacts, Messages, Notes, Calendar, Settings and Other (which includes an image of a database).

So, does that work? Nope. Of course it doesn't. That gets to the Backup process at least, but the progress bar doesn't progress beyond 0%.

So, lets deselect the ambiguous "Other" and backup just the rest. It reports a required 100kB of backup space. Fantastic, that shouldn't take more than a few milliseconds to transfer over USB. How long did the backup take then? It didn't. Again, no success. I did get some progress shown on the progress bar - about 10% from an eyeball judgement - so maybe my Contact made it across, but nothing more.

Cancel that. Let's try a little less. let's try just "Contacts" as that might be that part that's working. OK. So, a reported 100kB needed again. And this time an immediate successful backup. Wonderful!

So let's start adding some more items. Let's repeat and include Messages. Hang on. Can't seem to click Backup. Nope, SPCC has crashed. Task kill, restart it. Had to disconnect and reconnect my phone. Click backup, select only Contacts and Messages and Next. Success? Nope. Not this time. Checking the backup folder shows a new backup much large than the first one (2,051kB), but no sign of SPPC recovering from whatever caused it to hang.

Try again, and this time just select Messages. Success! So, SPCC can back up my Contacts, or it can back up my Messages. But it can't back up both my Contacts and my Messages. Genius.

Lets try the rest., one by one:

Notes only - Success!

Calendar only - Success!

Settings only - Fail, at Preparation it sat for ages (hours) with no progress.

Other only - Fail, at Backup it sat for ages (hours) with no progress.

I tried both Settings and Other again to be sure it's a repeatable issue, and it is. Still no luck.

So I can back up my Contacts, Messages, Notes and Calendar, so long as I do them to inidividual backup files.

Wonderful. Thanks SONY, this is brilliant. I'm so impressed, I'm off to the Apple store.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 29 of 35
Message 29 of 35

Re: PC Companion Backup doesn't work - at all

Same problem with PC Companion! Very slow response and lagging "preparation" stage, then hangs on with selected items. Even only Contacs can not be backed up. This frusturating SONY, you should look for a solution!

Edit: I have to write one thing I have realized. I forced my security app to stop "CM Security" from settings=>apps then I can backup my contacts & call log with a message something like "You may not use your backup when restored" interesting!

Edit: At last. I was able to backup my contacts, messages, calender, settings, others, music, video, photos & images one by one, each separate with PC Companion. I strongly recommend this way of backup. However PC Companion still needs Apps backup option. :smileysmileywink:

One time poster
Message 30 of 35
Message 30 of 35

Yes this software let me down badly.

I thought my backups were okay but for some unknown reason it was only backing up 39 of 323 contacts !!

I wanted to restore contacts from Xperia Z1 to a T2 Ultra Dual I am going to use when travelling.

Had to resort to using Xperia Transfer Mobile software to achieve the result