account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

How to Move Xperia Companion Backup Location

Learner
Message 1 of 9
Message 1 of 9

How to Move Xperia Companion Backup Location

With the elimination of dbk files for backups, it appears that Xperia Companion saves the backup to C:\Users\\Documents\Sony\Xperia Companion\Backups. Seriously, Sony?

How do I tell Xperia Companion to save the backup to a different drive, e.g. an external back up drive?

Or, in the abscence of that, can I just move the files that Xperia Companion creates in the \\Backups folder? And then, how does one direct Xperia Companion to backups saved to somewhere other than C:\Documents?

TIA

8 REPLIES 8
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 9
Message 2 of 9

Re: How to Move Xperia Companion Backup Location

Hi @AnonUser, welcome to our forum!

There is no setting in Xperia Companion that will change where the backup is stored, it will always be in C:\Users\\Documents\Sony\Xperia Companion\Backups.

As far as I know, you can move the folders found in \Backups to another hard drive/different folder and then move them back again when you want to restore the backup.

I'll make sure to forward your feedback about that there should be a setting that allows you to change where the backups are stored!

I hope that helps and have a nice weekend! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 3 of 9
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for the response. While this is certainly not a solution, it is a workaround, although I am uncertain how stable of one. I moved the entire contents of the \Backups folder to my external drive leaving \Backups empty. When I launched Xperia Companion it did not find any backups as expected. I then quit Xperia Companion and copied the contents from my external drive back to the \Backups folder. When I relaunched Xperia Companion, it found the backups.

Posting this for anyone else who runs into this issue and needs a solution. Also, I am really hoping that Sony addresses this in the future by allowing the user to specify a backup location.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 4 of 9
Message 4 of 9

Hi again @AnonUser, you're very welcome and since it can't be changed, you will need to use this workaround.

I have forwarded the feedback, but I can't make any promises, but at least know you will be able to store them where you wan't and copy them back when you need to restore them.

Have a great Monday!

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

One time poster
Message 5 of 9
Message 5 of 9

I hope Sony fixes this issue in double-quick time.  It is gravely annoying to be forced into saving a backup on a particular location when there should be nothing wrong with saving it elsewhere!  I've always associated Sony with high quality and this is really disappointing.  I've always used Sony phones since the time when it was known as Sony Ericsson.  I hope this issue is addressed sooner rather than later.

#XperiaCompanionBackup

One time poster
Message 6 of 9
Message 6 of 9

This from a faithful owner of many Xperia phones - I hope they add backup destination as a feature also.  My own Documents folder is mirrored to a cloud file service. I don't use the backup any more as this default backup location uploads way too much data to my cloud file service.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 7 of 9
Message 7 of 9

Hello everyone!

@AlexeiR!,

First of all, I'm super happy to hear that you have been using our devices for so long, thank you so much! Slightly smiling Face

I fully understand that not being able to choose where the backup is stored can be very annoying, especially if you have for example a SSD drive that isn't that big as your "system drive", it eats up quite some space. For now, the only option is to move the backup folder to another drive and then move it back when you are going to do a new backup, or restore an old one.

@JustinR, in your case it's even less optimal and I'm not sure if you are able to temporarily turn off the mirroring/sync to the cloud service until you have moved the backup folder to another folder/drive, that would be the only solution for now.

Thank you both for the feedback and I'll continue to forward it internally, but I can't promise that there will be a change.

Have a nice weekend!

One time poster
Message 8 of 9
Message 8 of 9

I fully agree that making backups on Windows system drive by default is adminstrator's nightmare - C: drive is the worst place for backups anyway.

In my case I face to same issue - my system drive C: is used only for system and apps so It run out of space during the backup - litterally to 0 (zero) bytes free! So I was not able to use suggested solution to move the backed up data after it is done.

And whats more, Xperia Companion stated that the backup was successful. How come???

Anyway I have other drives with lot of available space waiting for data..

So here is my permanent workaround till Sony guys realize that the customized backup location is a "must have" feature.

@AnonUser  

@ino1

My old school solution is to create a junction (symbolic link) to the other folder located on a drive with lot of free space (E: drive in my case):

1. Rename original Backups folder created by Sony Companion to Backups_old to prevent conflicts and keep old data if any
  2. If not available in your Windows download and unzip the junction.exe from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/junction
  3. Open you command promt cmd.exe
  4. Usage: <full path to the junction executable/>junction.exe <junction directory> <junction target>
    1. Full path to the junction executable is in my case in C:\Sysinternals so my full path is: "C:\Sysinternals\junction.exe"
    2. Junction directory, ie where the original Backups folder is located within the quotations, in my case "C:\Users\user\Documents\Sony\Xperia Companion\Backups"
    3. Junction targe, ie where the huge data storage folder is located, in my case in "E:\android\sonycompanionbackup"
  5. Correct all paths to your acctuall locations and username and run: "C:\Sysinternals\junction.exe" "C:\Users\user\Documents\Sony\Xperia Companion\Backups" "E:\android\sonycompanionbackup"

Now there will appear newly created folder Backups that points to the remote sonycompanionbackup folder on E: drive.

Now you can run Sony Xperia Companion that will process the backup to its default location but the data will be acctually stored on you data disk.

Hope this helps to someone.

And SONY - do update your settings to support custom location of the backup files!

Cheers ino

Highlighted
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 9
Message 9 of 9

Hi @ino1,

I totally agree with you and thank you so much for the workaround! Slightly smiling Face

I have forwarded the feedback from every single user, but nothing has been changed so far, but I won't give up that easily, trust me!

Thanks again!