account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Can't play videos I record on xperia ST27i

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 12
Message 1 of 12

Can't play videos I record on xperia ST27i

Hi,

I recorded some videos with my Xperia phone and want to play them on my PC (Windows7 Home Premium).

The videos play perfectly on my Xperia phone but won't play on my PC.

I have transferred the .mp4 files via Sony PC Companion onto my PC but can't play them with Windows Media Player, iTunes or Quicktime.

Windows Media Player pops up a message "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file"

iTunes looks like it is playing but just shows a green screen. for the duration of the video.

Quicktime looks like it is playing but just shows a black screen for the duration of the video.

I also have a snoy HDR-AS15 video camera which works fantastically so it seems the mp4 files recorded by my Xperia phone are the problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rookie
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

Re: Can't play videos I record on xperia ST27i

I think I've found the problem.

If I copy the files using Windows Explorer, they will play in Windows Media Player without any problems.

If I copy them using the Sony Software (Sony PC Companion), they will not play in Windows Media Player, iTunes, Quicktime or VLC.

Sort of defeats the purpose of using Sony PC Companion in my view.

Peter

11 REPLIES 11
Demigod
Message 2 of 12
Message 2 of 12

Try VLC player instead...

Download it here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Rookie
Message 3 of 12
Message 3 of 12

Hi shihstouch,

Thanks for your quick response, I downloaded VLC and it just shows the orange striped cone while playing the video.

I'm at a loss as to why it won't play.

Thanks anyway

Peter

Demigod
Message 4 of 12
Message 4 of 12

Can you try on another computer, VLC should play almost all files, i thing there is problem with video rendering, it can be your computer problem, check with another computer, if same send me a recording using your phone, let me check also Grinning Face

Rookie
Message 5 of 12
Message 5 of 12

Thanks again shihstouch,

I've tried to play the file on another laptop running windows 7 as well as an iMac and all have the same results - the video won't play.

The iMac has iTunes, VLC and Quicktime and I get the same result.

How do I send the file to you?

Cheers

Peter

Demigod
Message 6 of 12
Message 6 of 12

Send a small file to my mail, i send you a private msg...

Rookie
Message 7 of 12
Message 7 of 12

I think I've found the problem.

If I copy the files using Windows Explorer, they will play in Windows Media Player without any problems.

If I copy them using the Sony Software (Sony PC Companion), they will not play in Windows Media Player, iTunes, Quicktime or VLC.

Sort of defeats the purpose of using Sony PC Companion in my view.

Peter

Visitor
Message 8 of 12
Message 8 of 12

Still doesn't work on my Windows 7 and I imported them direct with Windows Explorer. They are Mp4 files so I just don't understand why they won't play, with VLC media player, Windows media player or Quicktime....help!

Learner
Message 9 of 12
Message 9 of 12

Hi,

I encountered the same problem. Would really like to save this video. Maybe you found a solution and could share with me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Leonian

One time poster
Message 10 of 12
Message 10 of 12

Same thing here. Works with explorer but did not work when imported using picasa.