account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Backup and Restore app

Commissioner
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

Backup and Restore app

I just used the Backup and Restore app because I intended to reset to factory settings after having installed Lollipop. I selected everything and after the wipe & restore I've seen in the Xperia Home that about 20-25% of applications were missing. Two of them were Whatsapp and Telegram.

Is it too much to ask for an app capable of doing a full backup (and restore)? Even the PS3 has a better backup utility. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check my theme collection for Xperia™ devices!
Visit my FaceBook Page
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Genius
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: Backup and Restore app

Hi Michelasso

What Backup & Restore app are you using? The pre installed one doesn't allow apps to be backed up. If you log into the Play Store with the same account you used to download those apps previously you can download those apps again if you go to My apps and tap All - that shows a list of all the apps you have installed with that google account.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Re: Backup and Restore app

Thanks Sophia,

the app I am using is the preinstalled app indeed. That does backup & restore most downloaded apps with their data (which is the most important thing). About 80% of them in my case. I'd just like to have an utility that after a wipe restores the phone as it was. Like we do with the PS3/PS4. 

Regarding redownloading the apps from Google Play, it's a mess. It keeps track of ALL the apps we have downloaded during the years. Or so it was the last time I checked after a wipe. Unusable. Then if use a backup utility it's because I don't want to download anything (I'm strict on nework quota) and obviously because I want to be able to keep my data. Like I do with Titanium Backup once I'm rooted, the problem is that I didn't manage to root Lollipop yet.

I understand the need of security and all, but Xperia phones with locked bootloaders have DRM keys. It wouldn't be impossible to make a full backup restorable only in the same phone. Again. like Sony does with the PS3/PS4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check my theme collection for Xperia™ devices!
Visit my FaceBook Page
One time poster
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

PC Companion Doesn't Backup Apps

Does anybody around have a clue what is the logic behind PC Companion neither backs up Apps nor its data? With maybe exception of some media files under e.g. WhatsApp, Viber, i.e. it's all about media files all the way...

That's not exactly what I call "Full Backup"!

I do realize the "Backup & Reset" under Settings, that enables backing up Apps & its data on Google servers, but still, what if I don't want to do that for any kind of reasons,e.g. privecy, WiFi overloading, etc...

I used to be an iPhone user who enjoyed that feature in iTunes, and it was a huge disappointment after resetting my Xperia Z1 relying on the so called *Full Backup* that PC Companion offered me, and when restored I found nothing of my app stuff coming back Slightly frowning FaceSlightly frowning Face Lossing a full year of chats, exchange files (non-media), shared URLs, etc...