account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests directly on your phone with the support application.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Android 9 No Backup via Xperia companion or backup & restore

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 11 of 13
Message 11 of 13

Re: Android 9 No Backup via Xperia companion or backup & restore

Yay!  I worked a solution. 

Firstly thank you for your time. 

Sony's Head of Tech Support in Australia and New Zealand has no idea what he is doing and you CAN  backup encrypted devices with Sony's software.

Secondly the solution. 

1. I reflashed to see if that would help. It did not 

2. I went to my app settings and checked permissions on all System apps, you would be surprised how many system apps there are and most of them for whatever reason had a lot of permissions disabled - probably something to do with the Android 9 update.

3. SUCCESSFUL BACKUP. 

I can't confirm which system app it was but I enabled all access to all system apps and it works.

Message 12 of 13
Message 12 of 13

Perfect!

I had popups on my first backup asking for these permissions, I guess yours was denied by default hence not working.

Excellent you found the solution.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 13 of 13
Message 13 of 13

Yes I was definitely not prompted for permissions. Unfortunately after a restart and this mornings update I again am stuck without being able to back up. My permissions are no longer the problem. Let the fun begin again