account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Android 9 No Backup via Xperia companion or backup & restore

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 13
Message 1 of 13

Android 9 No Backup via Xperia companion or backup & restore

Caught Sony Support lying blatantly today.

Conversation took place over about 45 minutes and he was paying me out blaming me and my encryption for not been able to back up. Here is a summery.

Senior tech support (au) Sam.  Backups are 100% working in Android 9. (continued down this path for at least 10 minutes)

Me. Well they are not working on my device or on my xperia companion.

Senior tech support (au) Sam. Is your device encrypted?

Me. Yeh all Android 9 Devices are encrypted.

Senior tech support (au) Sam. Sony software will not backup an encrypted device.

Me. All Android 9 devices are encrypted.

Senior tech support (au) Sam. Well we can't help you. (no admission of been wrong and lying about the working of the software, just ended the conversation.)  

Meanwhile I have a phone that needs warranty work and Sony want to do a full reset. yet they can not provide a back up option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 11 of 13
Message 11 of 13

Re: Android 9 No Backup via Xperia companion or backup & restore

Yay!  I worked a solution. 

Firstly thank you for your time. 

Sony's Head of Tech Support in Australia and New Zealand has no idea what he is doing and you CAN  backup encrypted devices with Sony's software.

Secondly the solution. 

1. I reflashed to see if that would help. It did not 

2. I went to my app settings and checked permissions on all System apps, you would be surprised how many system apps there are and most of them for whatever reason had a lot of permissions disabled - probably something to do with the Android 9 update.

3. SUCCESSFUL BACKUP. 

I can't confirm which system app it was but I enabled all access to all system apps and it works.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Message 2 of 13

Hi @Greglo

Which device are you having trouble backing up?

Is it the actual device, or SD card that you are getting a message about?

I know that encrypted SD cards must be unencrypted before backing up as the software repair writes a new encryption key which can result in lost data on SD.

Xperia companion I believe still shows a pop up regarding this before a backup.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Adviser
Message 3 of 13
Message 3 of 13

Device. Android 9 automatically encrypts all devices. 

Adviser
Message 4 of 13
Message 4 of 13

I 100% caught him out lying and he backpeddled very fast to end the conversation. No solution unfortunately as Xperia Companion does not back up encrypted devices neither does the Xperia Backup and Restore within phone settings

Phone is xperia xz premium 

Message 5 of 13
Message 5 of 13

@Greglo wrote:

I 100% caught him out lying and he backpeddled very fast to end the conversation. No solution unfortunately as Xperia Companion does not back up encrypted devices neither does the Xperia Backup and Restore within phone settings

The key thing is, it should.

Android has encrypted devices since 6 or 7 I believe, and Xperia companion backs those up.

Let me test this and forward any findings I get on my android 9 devices.

Thanks for the info.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 13
Message 6 of 13

Thanks. On the phone it freezes on 0% no matter what you want to back up, even just a call log which should literally take 5 seconds.

Screenshot_20181127-200633.png

Screenshot_20181128-062226.png

Adviser
Message 7 of 13
Message 7 of 13

@viridis wrote:

@Greglo wrote:

The key thing is, it should.

Android has encrypted devices since 6 or 7 I believe, and Xperia companion backs those up.

Let me test this and forward any findings I get on my android 9 devices.

Thanks for the info.

It was Sony's words not mine stating that it won't back up an encrypted device. Apparently on previous versions of Android it warned that if encrypted you can't backup. 

Message 8 of 13
Message 8 of 13

Hmm, I've just tried a manual backup in the backup app and it did it..Screenshot_20181129-095843.png

Are you backing up to internal storage or SD?

I'm backing up to SD, I'll keep trying and testing.

Adviser
Message 9 of 13
Message 9 of 13

SD. it takes forever to load to start backing up also.

It isn't even signing in for a backup to online account.

Im not getting any of the battery issues or anything others have reported if anything I'm getting 30% longer battery life.

I could try to push the Android 9 update (same one I received ota on the 14th) using flashtool as that will act like an ota update and not destroy my data.

Adviser
Message 10 of 13
Message 10 of 13

Are you running 47.2.A.0.306/RC3?