account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepted Solutions makes a difference!

Did you know that by clicking the Accept as Solution button You will help other people visiting the community to find their answer? Learn more.

Psst - What do you think about our community? Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

[se-live-walkman] Headset with custom headphones?

SOLVED
Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

[se-live-walkman] Headset with custom headphones?

Folks;

as the SE "Live With Walkman" provides a rather good media player, I finally want to have just one device with me on bicycle and on the road for both listening to music and doing calls, which, however, leaves me with a minor problem: For picking calls, I'd need the headset including the microphone. For listening to music, however, I am a bit picky regarding headphones (quality, size/fit). At the moment, I see I can either use the headset that comes with the LiveWithWalkman phone (which has a good sound quality yet is not that comfortable to wear to me) or use my custom mp3 player headphones (which are fine in terms of sound and wearing comfort yet lack a microphone so it's not a headset).

So to ask: Is there any way "out of this"? Anything like an adapter (microphone+cable) to attach a custom set of headphones? Alternatively, can you recommend a compatible headset with larger headphones for the LiveWithWalkman phone? At the moment I make use of these headphones http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband-Headphones-SHS5200-28/dp/B003CJTR8M - and I'd like to have something similar for the LiveWithWalkman too.

TIA and all the best,

Kristian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: [se-live-walkman] Headset with custom headphones?

There is a set of headphones called HPM-75J that is a two piece headset (Google for pics). You'll be able to use the "bottom" half that has the 3.5mm jack AND a microphone, then attach your personal headphones.

On the downside, you may end up with a real long headset cable, and I'm not enough of a music junkie to say if the quality of the sound will be degraded compared to if you just used your headphones.

Finally, if you purchase online, be sure about the "J", there is a headset called HPM-75 that is not a 3.5mm jack connection.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Demigod
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

There is a set of headphones called HPM-75J that is a two piece headset (Google for pics). You'll be able to use the "bottom" half that has the 3.5mm jack AND a microphone, then attach your personal headphones.

On the downside, you may end up with a real long headset cable, and I'm not enough of a music junkie to say if the quality of the sound will be degraded compared to if you just used your headphones.

Finally, if you purchase online, be sure about the "J", there is a headset called HPM-75 that is not a 3.5mm jack connection.

View solution in original post

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

Thanks a bunch for your answer, this is indeed pretty much what I was looking for. Ordered one of those, gonna see how it does. Well, yes, I see the issue of messing with long wires, too, gonna try and see how this will work out in the end. Regarding sound quality, it does need indeed a bit of balancing the different requirements (being able to also pick calls vs. being able to use the headphones one got used to). I'll see and let you know. Slightly smiling Face

Cheers,

Kristian

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Eventually managed to buy such a device, had my first morning using it in "real life", and wanted to leave a few thoughts here in case anyone cares. Slightly smiling Face

* Sound quality: So far I tested the thing with two different albums lurking on my player for quite a while. They're musically pretty much different:

http://koloss.bandcamp.com/album/end-of-the-chayot (Koloss - "End of the Chayot" - heavy, noisy doom)

http://www.archive.org/details/ca359_b  (Bartois - "Solo Piano" - quiet, as the name suggests)

Generally, the quality of the SE Live Walkman playback with the headphones I am "used to using" is in no way worse than the quality of my standalone MP3 player, so I am pleased. With the more "heavy" kind of music, there's nothing to keep myself from enjoying the music, sound is just the way it should be. With the calmer piano-only music, there's a light noise in the signal, something akin to a cracking you sometimes tend to hear when your headphone cord is damaged. It is there with quiet music, but it's not disturbing and not keeping me from using the HPM-75J either. So far, so good.

* Cable handling. My first thoughts indeed were: Where on earth to put these miles of cables? In the end, however, it works out pretty well too: The HPM-75J cable just has the right size to place the clip and microphone quite comfortable somewhere next to your neck while having the cell phone right in the pockets of your jacket or trousers. Attaching the headphone and basically leaving the cable in a long, loose loop across my back didn't just mostly get the cable out of the way, it also added to the stability, keeping both the microphone/clip and the headphones themselves in place without risking either of these devices falling down in a sudden movement. It initially feels a bit like RoboCop, wired up like this, but after getting used to it, it _surely_ is quite comfortable.

So, overally: I recommend this thing, at the very least if you want to have the choice of using "your" own headphones with the SE Live Walkman. Thanks again for pointing me there.

Cheers,

Kristian

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

I don't think that using those kind of headphones while you are exercising (cycling) etc is a very good/proper/safe thing to do.

The recommendation made by the moderator is only good when you want to listen to music when you are sitting at one place. Again, that's the best that these moderators could recommend/suggest.

And, I seriously doubt that to be a good advice.

You see the wires that hang don't only restrict your free movement but also there is a real danger of those hanging wires getting entangled in your hands or cycle handle etc.

Just use a bluetooth stereo headset. Such as Sony 'MW600'. This particular headset have preety good sound quality. The whole device is only 2inch long and fits beautifully in your collar or you could plug it in your shirt. The wires just goes behind your neck. The phone and headset are connected through a bluetooth which means that you won't have to deal with long wires hanging down from your ears to your mobile phone.

This have a backup of 9hrs(Best in it's catagory).

Again this is also a 2 piece headset. you can even use your own headset through the 3.5mm jack.

I use it personally. And I can assure you that this is the best & most comfortable device that I have ever used. Weather you are doing exercise or you are listening casual music.

Best thing out here is that it even have a microphone which have clear voice technology etc-2. You can not only reject, receive, dial calls but you can even control your music(FF, STOP, PAUSE,NEXT,PREVIOUS) from the headset itself. It have a 'OLED' display that gives all info regarding song, Dialed person etc. You can connect 2-3 devices at the same time.

I would just say that you have wasted your money because of a bad advice.

Unregistered user
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Hi there;

and first off, thanks very much for your thoughts, advices, considerations. A few points of mine to add:

* I thought about Bluetooth as well but ultimately am not so much a fan of wireless headsets anymore, given questionable experiences (disturbed signals / bad signal quality even having headset and "sender" rather close to each other, drastically reduced battery life). Yes, dealing with long cables is messy at times but in the end, so far it always prove a better solution than messing with the drawbacks of wireless. But maybe so far I just used the wrong devices.

* I have no doubts about the quality of the MW600, same as the headset/-phones that come with the WT9i are pretty good in terms of quality. I just happen to not at all feel comfortable with these "small" in-ear headphones, as I can't comfortably wear them - continuously falling out of my ears especially while wearing the bicycle helmet or even just moving a bit (especially talking about using them with the headphone microphone which, even being pretty light, always does pull them down to the front a bit), and overally it just doesn't feel good in the ear. I have spent a good deal of time trying out various different kinds of headphones in terms of wearing comfort mainly and in the end ended up with Philips, twice:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Flexible-Headphones-SHS3200-28/dp/B003CJTR82/ref=pd_sim_e_7  - which still is my favorite talking about in-ear, and has been so for a bunch of years. Even though being in-ear, wearing it is (to me) better than any other in-ear headset I ever used, and given its "earhook" shape it always stays in place.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Neckband-Headphones-SHS5200-28/dp/B003CJTR8M - these are my favorites in general, these days.

As I got a pair of both which have been in use with my MP3 player, so far I didn't see why to deal with new headphones _again_ rather than just attaching what I got used to and feel well with to my phone.

* Safety, nonetheless: I know what you mean and used to worry about this, too, but in the end it's a matter of cable management in my opionion. Having the wires below your jacket keeps them from messing with your bicycle handles, and having the remainder of the cable placed across your back in a sufficiently long loop (yes, it is definitely long enough for that) in my opinion pretty much reduces other safety issues, free movement included. That's what I meant with being "comfortably wearable" - you basically don't feel it's there, having it placed well. It's just out of the way, and it is so way more than with the (shorter) cable of the stock headset.

So overally, I don't have too much of a problem with that. Maybe given a good BT headset including phone functionality yet being somewhere next to the both pointed out above in terms of wearing comfort would be something worth checking out. Not sure, possibly would depend.

Nevertheless, thanks again for your thoughts on that, all the best!

K.