account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

XZ Style Cover Touch: lock the phone once the flap is closed

Commissioner
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

XZ Style Cover Touch: lock the phone once the flap is closed

I have Style Cover Touch on my XZ and I find its behavior very poorly thought through.

If I use the phone with the flap open, and then I close the flap, I would like the phone to lock automatically. However, this does not happen. The screen remains active. This is undesirable in many cases.

I understand that this cover is touch-sensitive and supports working through the flap, but still I find it highly unsymmetrical that opening the flap wakes up the phone, but closing the flap does not put it back to sleep. Remembering to press the power button to turn it off is inconvenient and often results in inadevertent "touches" registered through the flap.

A much more logical design would be to give user a choice: if the user wants to work through the flap, they just press the power button and work through the flap. If the user wants to work with bare screen and wakes up the phone by opening the flap, then the subsequent closing of the flap should put the phone back to sleep.

In other words, with Style Cover Touch we need "hybrid" behavior that blends the behavior of the Touch cover and Flip cover. This could easily be implemented as an option, given the user a choice between this "hybrid" behavior and the current behavior.

5 REPLIES 5
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Re: XZ Style Cover Touch: lock the phone once the flap is closed

Hi, I've the XZ Style Cover Touch too and would like to ask if you've any problems touching the screen if the flap is closed in a warmer environment or with a warmer device?
Commissioner
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

@SMRTLim wrote:
if you've any problems touching the screen if the flap is closed in a warmer environment or with a warmer device?

Depends on what you mean by "problems".

The flap is definitely much less sensitive to touch than the screen, which means that I always have to press harder to make it work. I have especially hard time making it register my touches near the left edge of the flap, regardless of temperature.

Forum Legend
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Unfortunately the option available is only for screen brightness. Settings>display>cover selection

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learn to take care and troubleshoot your Device here:
Xperia Support by Sony: https://support.sonymobile.com/global-en/
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

@Korben-Dallas wrote:

@SMRTLim wrote:
if you've any problems touching the screen if the flap is closed in a warmer environment or with a warmer device?

Depends on what you mean by "problems".

The flap is definitely much less sensitive to touch than the screen, which means that I always have to press harder to make it work. I have especially hard time making it register my touches near the left edge of the flap, regardless of temperature.

Thanks for the reply. To know more about my problems, please follow this thread. I would like to know if it's an isolated or widespread issue.

Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

@nolramlb wrote:
Unfortunately the option available is only for screen brightness. Settings>display>cover selection

Yes. Unfortunately.

However, I can always go to cover type selection and tell the phone that I have Flip cover. Once I do that, my Touch cover will work exacty as Flip cover: opening the flap will wake up the phone, closing the flap will put the phone to sleep. But in this case, expectedly, I won't be able to work through the flap.

This means that the current behavior is just a software deficiency that can be easily corrected. So, Sony, let's correct it.