account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

SmartWatch 2 and Galaxy S7 Edge

SOLVED
Adviser
Message 1 of 6
Message 1 of 6

SmartWatch 2 and Galaxy S7 Edge

Have a Sony SmartWatch 2 (SW2). Worked fine with all of my apps with a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Now have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and only have "Weather", "Find Phone", and "Music". No Phone or Messaging.

When I use Smart Connect on the S7 it finds the SmartWatch 2 but no phone or messaging is in "My apps".

I go to "recommended apps" but when I select either "Call Handling" or Messaging" the Play Store responds "item not found".

Does anyone know either why I cannot load the "Call Handling" or "Messaging apps" or what I need to do to get them ? Another site perhaps ? Different Settings (I have given Smart Connect access permission for Phone and Messaging).

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Adviser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

Re: SmartWatch 2 and Galaxy S7 Edge

I give up, apparently Sony does not care to support the SmartWatch 2 on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 8.0. It works fine with my old S5 so it is not the watch, I suspect the SW2 app is not asking for needed permissions.

In a week I have received many scripted responses including a vast number of "congratulations" but nothing meaningful.

Meanwhile an inexpenive U8 smartwatch works just fine.

It is too bad, I really like the SW2 but have downgraded my reviews because the inability of Sony to help make it work.

5 REPLIES 5
Adviser
Message 2 of 6
Message 2 of 6

Have now tried a full factory reset on both devices. Reinstalled.  Still no phone or message icon or apps listed..

Also the UG says:

From your Home screen, tap .

2 Find and tap Smart Connect, then tap > App info.

3 Tap > Check for updates.

I cannot find "App Info" anywhere

ps Samsung S5 has both Call Handler and Messaging apps. S7 give "Item not found" from play store. Is there a way to move apps from S5 to S7 ?

Adviser
Message 3 of 6
Message 3 of 6

As near as I have been able to tell, the call handling and messaging elements are supposed to be part of the SW2 app. I have uninstalled/installed it severaL times but still no notifications. Have given it all permissions but am at a loss. Everything worked fine on my S5 and may need to go back to it if I cannot get the S7 Egge with Android 8.0 to communicate.

Anyone have any idea what would keep the essential Call Handling and Messaging apps from loading ?

ps the Sony support app does not list the SW2.

Adviser
Message 4 of 6
Message 4 of 6

I give up, apparently Sony does not care to support the SmartWatch 2 on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 8.0. It works fine with my old S5 so it is not the watch, I suspect the SW2 app is not asking for needed permissions.

In a week I have received many scripted responses including a vast number of "congratulations" but nothing meaningful.

Meanwhile an inexpenive U8 smartwatch works just fine.

It is too bad, I really like the SW2 but have downgraded my reviews because the inability of Sony to help make it work.

Adviser
Message 5 of 6
Message 5 of 6

Re: SmartWatch 2 and Galaxy S7 Edge/Android 8 and J7/Android 6.0.1

Have been going around with Sony about their app not working properly with my S7 Edge but never got a response. So I now have a Samsung J7 with Android 6.01.  However the situation has gotten worse: the SW2 app necessary for the phone to work with my phones  is no longer available on the Play Store ("Item not found"). Without it there is no way to connect the SW2 to any cell phone.

Hopefully Sony is "fixing" the app but there is no notice of what or when. Until then the watch is essentially useless.

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 6 of 6
Message 6 of 6

Re: SmartWatch 2 and Galaxy S7 Edge/Android 8 and J7/Android 6.0.1

And a week later the necessary SW2 app is still missing from ther play store. Is my SW2 now useless ?  Is anyone from Sony reading these ?