account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

OTG USB cable adapter

SOLVED
Highlighted
Commissioner
Message 1 of 10
Message 1 of 10

OTG USB cable adapter

Does the Sony Xperia Z1C support the OTG USB cable adapter?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

Re: OTG USB cable adapter

You can use an OTG adapter together with the phone but the phone will only be able to act as a host device.

The difference is that devices that support the USB OTG standard can, in some cases, take turns acting as host and slave when connected to each other. This allows both devices to read each others file system. A device that only supports the Host standard can only act as the host.

Connecting a USB drive to your phone with help of an OTG adapter is one thing that you can do, yes. Another example would be that you can connect a mouse or a keyboard and use it with the phone.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

9 REPLIES 9
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 10
Message 2 of 10

Hi @cobbler,

Xperia Z1 Compact does not support USB OTG. It supports USB Host though so you can use an USB OTG adapter to connect an external USB device to it.

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

Commissioner
Message 3 of 10
Message 3 of 10

How do I do this? are you saying that I can connect the OTG cable adapter to the charger port then connect a USB drive to it?
Commissioner
Message 4 of 10
Message 4 of 10

What's the difference between it not being supported?
Commissioner
Message 5 of 10
Message 5 of 10

In other words, how can an OTG adapter make the phone act as a host if the phone itself doesn't support the OTG adapter?
Sony Xperia Support
Message 6 of 10
Message 6 of 10

You can use an OTG adapter together with the phone but the phone will only be able to act as a host device.

The difference is that devices that support the USB OTG standard can, in some cases, take turns acting as host and slave when connected to each other. This allows both devices to read each others file system. A device that only supports the Host standard can only act as the host.

Connecting a USB drive to your phone with help of an OTG adapter is one thing that you can do, yes. Another example would be that you can connect a mouse or a keyboard and use it with the phone.

Commissioner
Message 7 of 10
Message 7 of 10

Thanks very much for your help support on this.
Sony Xperia Support
Message 8 of 10
Message 8 of 10

You're welcome. Slightly smiling Face

Regular
Message 9 of 10
Message 9 of 10

Good day.

I would just like to ask, why is it that when I inserted the usb flash drive directly to my phone (xperia z5 premium dual and xperia xa ultra) it is not working. But when I use the OTG cable it is working.

Also, I formatted my USB twice but still is not working. I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you.

Sony Xperia Support
Message 10 of 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi @annatot,

If I understood your post correctly it does work when you use an OTG cable but not without one? The OTG cable is needed for the Xperia device to be able to communicate with the connected USB device.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your post.