account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Troubleshoot, find support articles, run tests with the support app directly on your phone.
Read more and discuss the app here.

Sony Android Oreo Flavor: Accordion in Notification Bar on Network Activity

SOLVED
Pioneer
Message 1 of 23
Message 1 of 23

Sony Android Oreo Flavor: Accordion in Notification Bar on Network Activity

Update: This implementation is coming from AOSP (originally submitted by Sony), and enabled in new Oreo builds. See #6 in this thread.

This is a slight exaggeration of how notification bar looks in XPERIA XZ1 when you are moving through access points. Network activity indicator is for some reason not part of the icon itself, so it shifts the icons around.accordion.gifEvery day I'm shuffling

Can we please get this fixed?

Device: G8342 (Dual SIM) running 47.1.A.2.273.

No longer using XZ1C
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pioneer
Message 12 of 23
Message 12 of 23

Re: Sony Android Oreo Flavor: Accordion in Notification Bar on Network Activity

The Google Play package is now live at Google Play: Disable Network Activity Indicator RRO.

After installing, run:

adb shell cmd overlay enable --user 0 com.keypressure.disable_network_activity_indicator

No longer using XZ1C
22 REPLIES 22
Pioneer
Message 2 of 23
Message 2 of 23

Re: Accordion in Notification Bar on Network Activity

Case *PI removed*, current status: Support advised to do a factory reset. Checked review screenshots from various sources, found the same behavior, replied asking to escalate the issue.

Also seen on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/7aq1hz/awful_design_choice_on_wifi_status_bar_icons_ore...

No longer using XZ1C
Apprentice
Message 3 of 23
Message 3 of 23

Oh yes, this really freaks me out and steals my attention from reading texts.

Any message from the developers to this issue?

Highlighted
Pioneer
Message 4 of 23
Message 4 of 23

No updates from Sony support since November 4. This seems to be happening on all Oreo phones by Sony now.

No longer using XZ1C
Learner
Message 5 of 23
Message 5 of 23

I've had my XZ1 compact for a week. Had a Z5 for two years before.

This is incredibly annoying (even after a week still catches my eye!) and I would hope that Sony will tweak this icon design across their Oreo devices. Nothing wrong with the old activity indicators on Nougat!

Pioneer
Message 6 of 23
Message 6 of 23

This appears to be related: https://android-review.googlesource.com/#/c/platform/frameworks/base/+/305789/

Data activity icon in statusbar

Display data activity icon for Wi-Fi and mobile data
respectively in statusbar

Bug: 30849089
Test: manual - go to Settings > Developer options > Demo mode and then
               enable both "Enable demo mode" and "Show demo mode"

Change-Id: I16e880ffb97666a6c6507b9cc8c99bf580972207

And here's where the WiFi icon appears and disappears in AOSP framework code submitted by Sony:

mWifiActivity.setVisibility(mWifiActivityId != 0 ? View.VISIBLE : View.GONE);

No longer using XZ1C
Pioneer
Message 7 of 23
Message 7 of 23

Later, the code is modified in platform/frameworks/base/+/ad71ae, which is included in current AOSP, however the devices have it disabled by default, that's why it only surfaces on Sony phones, which probably have this option enabled:

<!-- Whether to show activity indicators in the status bar -->
<bool name="config_showActivity">false</bool>

No longer using XZ1C
One time poster
Message 8 of 23
Message 8 of 23

@romanempire wrote:

Later, the code is modified in platform/frameworks/base/+/ad71ae, which is included in current AOSP, however the devices have it disabled by default, that's why it only surfaces on Sony phones, which probably have this option enabled:

<!-- Whether to show activity indicators in the status bar -->
<bool name="config_showActivity">false</bool>

Is there a way to change this flag via ADB, or is it compile-time only?

Pioneer
Message 9 of 23
Message 9 of 23

The framework overlays are taken into effect at the compile time. There may be a slim chance that RRO app can change the setting, but I don't have experience working with resource overlays, and this option may be outside the RROs that end-users will be able to install.

If those icons are an absolute requirement, then, seeing how AOSP implements them, the second best option is for Sony to render them faded out at all times and switch to fully opaque when activity happens. This will make jitter go away, but we will lose some status bar real estate, but I will be fine with that. I'll upload a mock-up to show what I mean soonish.

No longer using XZ1C
Pioneer
Message 10 of 23
Message 10 of 23

Re:  mockup mentioned above. Here the icons stay put, while wifi (and mobile network, not pictured) network activity switches icons as much as it wants to.

wip.gifAlternative Network Activity indication mockup

No longer using XZ1C