account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Messaging app keeps hanging...

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 301 of 447
Message 301 of 447

Re: Messaging app keeps hanging...

I am having the same problem mostly. Sometimes when I want to reply to normal text messages the app just crashes.

So I found this workaround that worked for me. Instead of replying to the message directly, click on the button on the right bottom corner to compose a new message. Type the message and then choose the recepient. It sends the message and it's added to the conversation with the desired person automatically.

I think this is a problem that will be fixed either with a Sony patch update or Google Play Services update. If I remember correctly last week we received the last Google Play Services update and that's when the things went wrong.

With an XPERIA smartphone from Sony, freedom is in your hands!
Learner
Message 302 of 447
Message 302 of 447

Re: Messaging app keeps hanging...

I found that advice from a different forum to remove the updates to google chrome through the play store seem to have fixed this issue until at least there is a new patch update to messaging / chrome. 

still disappointing Sony havnet been able to provide an update. 

Apprentice
Message 303 of 447
Message 303 of 447

Re: Messages Application Not Responding!!!

Install Google message app and disable Sony stock message app. That's what I've done and won't use Sony app anymore 

One time poster
Message 304 of 447
Message 304 of 447

Messaging app isn't responding?

Learner
Message 305 of 447
Message 305 of 447

Re: Messages Application Not Responding!!!

There are quite many SMS apps that one can use to replaced the stock app. Anyone who has a link to credible information on power usage? One of the nice things about the SMS protocol is its extremely low power footprint, compared to all those IP-based protocols. Would like an SMS app with as low power usage as possble.

One time poster
Message 306 of 447
Message 306 of 447

Re: Messaging app isn't responding?

Mine is exactly the same since i did the software update this morning. 

One time poster
Message 307 of 447
Message 307 of 447

MMS Crashes Messaging

My phone is just 3 months old on a 2year contract. For the past month (since the last big update) I can't text at all. I can receive messages (after a massive delay) but I cant reply. Once I open the message app the phone crashes completely and a box pops up saying that messages have crashed, wait or close. (Pressing either does nothing) 

the phone has been factory reset around 5 times now and has been sent off for repair by my phone provider 2 times now but they are unable to resolve this. I'm pretty frustrated as this is the second Sony device with softwear issues which doesn't get resolved. My phone provider won't issue a new device as they say it's down to Sony to fix? I went into a Sony store to try and get somewhere but they turned me away and said I had to contact them online! Feel like I'm being passed from pillar to post. 

Apprentice
Message 308 of 447
Message 308 of 447

Re: MMS Crashes Messaging

Hi

As I have found the simple  fix is to go into settings apps Chrome uninstall updates. Job done. I suppose for those worried about vulnerabilities in Chrome a different browser. 

It has been a pain but now had 24 hours of messaging working 100%.

I guess it will be fixed with either a chrome or general software update. 

One time poster
Message 309 of 447
Message 309 of 447

Re: MMS Crashes Messaging

Had same problem here since system upgrade. Tried installing Google messages and disabling Sony messaging as suggested by support and this works OK with same functionality as preinstalled Sony app and copies all messages over with no loss of data. 

I find this to be a more suitable workaround than uninstalling Chrome updates as this may cause security vulnerabilities. I realise you could disable Chrome and use another browser but to continue to use your phone with hardly any user interface changes just changing to Google messages seems much better to me until Sony can sort a fix. 

One time poster
Message 310 of 447
Message 310 of 447

Messaging keeps crashing ever since last update

I don't know what Sony was doing when they did the last operating system update but they totally messed up the messaging app. So now you can send one or maybe to text and then the messaging app totally crashes and you got to reset the phone. Don't these idiots test anything? When is this going to be fixed?