account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Messaging app keeps hanging...

SOLVED
Enthusiast
Message 31 of 447
Message 31 of 447

Messaging app keeps hanging...

Today out of nowhere my phone's own messaging app, Sony's own messaging app keeps hanging and I was forced to close it. I already did try the recommended solution from Xperia care from the phone itself and nothing was resolved. it keeps doing the same thing. I even did a phone reset erased everything and install everything and set up as a new device. Anything weird happen lately from any of my fellow xz users about your messaging app? The build in Sony's messaging app? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 342 of 447
Message 342 of 447

Re: Anyone elses message app freeze al tge time so u cant use it

Hi everyone,

You might experience that the Messaging app is not responding while opening an existing conversation thread. This is corrected in the latest software for Google Chrome™, version 60.0.3112.116. Please note that software rollouts are a phased process so timing and availability may vary by market/carrier.

A workaround until the updated version of Google Chrome is available is to uninstall the latest update from Google Chrome, and then disable automatic updates for the app.

To uninstall the latest update from Google Chrome

1. Find and tap Settings > Apps > Chrome.
  2. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots), then select UNINSTALL UPDATES.

To disable automatic updates from Google Chrome

1. Find and tap Play Store.
  2. Search for "Google Chrome", and then tap Google Chrome: Fast & Secure.
  3. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots), then uncheck Auto-update.

sony_sign_logo.png - Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums make sure that you have read our Discussion guidelines.
If you want to get in touch with the local support team for your country please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

446 REPLIES 446
Commissioner
Message 1 of 447
Message 1 of 447

MMS crashes Messaging

Everything works fine except for these things when it comes to messaging. When in a group chat I get "No Subject", and when I am chatting with a single person and they send me a MMS it crashes and can't go into the thread any more. I have tried clearing data, and deleting threads but it still happens. Anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 447
Message 2 of 447

Re: MMS crashes Messaging

Mine crashes every time I open a message that was sent from my local union. Idk why but with my other phone it was not doing that. I can open the mms message with links and photos w/o any issues while my xz messaging app will crash...
Commissioner
Message 3 of 447
Message 3 of 447

Mine is every MMS photo it crashes.

Learner
Message 4 of 447
Message 4 of 447

Some messages in group message shows up no subject and that's it. If I use another messaging app it shows what they say. Anyone figure out how to fix it?
Message 5 of 447
Message 5 of 447

Hi all,
Can you confirm If this is from using the stock messaging app or another.
Also, is it group chats or just any mms with image?
I've sent myself a few mms off another phone and not got a crash yet but would like to replicate and see what's going on.

Moderators are not affiliated with, or work for Sony Mobile, and their posts represent their own opinions and views.
Click here to find out more about the different roles on the community.

Commissioner
Message 6 of 447
Message 6 of 447

It's the stock messaging app.

in group messages you see no subject on a lot of texts, and when someone sends a picture it crashes.  I am unsure if it has anything related to have group messages or not.  Once i get one if I try and get into the thread it crashes and it won't stop crashing.  If I have a group message with iPhones I get "No Subject", but if it's just them text goes through fine.  It's really weird.

If I switch to a third party text app all the problems go away.  I am not sure what the cause it.

Commissioner
Message 7 of 447
Message 7 of 447

Did a recovery flash of the software.  It still crashes with nothing installed to rule out any applications.

Commissioner
Message 8 of 447
Message 8 of 447

did a recovery and it still does it with nothing installed.

Apprentice
Message 9 of 447
Message 9 of 447

My Xperia X compact's message app crashes every time I try to view an MMS or a thread containing an MMS. The first time I noticed this was after a Nougat update.

It seems like this bug affects more than one model and firmware build. Slightly frowning Face