account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Suggestions: UI, Design, and User Experience Tweaks

Commissioner
Message 11 of 55
Message 11 of 55

Re: Xperia Suggestions: UI Design and User Experience Tweaks

Back, home, multitask buttons are out of alignment in horizontal. Developer mode, smallest width: 581, Xperia XA1 Ultra, Nougat 7.0.

Screenshot_20170627-002750.png

I can live with it, but I've changed the dpi to my T2 Ultra, C5 Ultra, Z5P and XA Ultra. Those buttons shouldn't move, as it's near tablet size. I do this bc these are Phablet phones, and the ratio should be taken account and not stretched from a 4.5 inch developer's model.

In Oreo 8.0, the horizontal buttons seem to be fixed. 

Screenshot_20180308-192416.png

I want to fit a perfect 7 icons on the bottom. If I left my dpi alone it would look like how ridiculous an iPad Pro looks not accounting ratio. A 12.9 inch screen with 4 icons running on the bottom.

With the original Xperia Z Ultra, you were able to have 7 icons along a 6.4 inch screen. It's not like I'm forcing some ridiculous size, the original Z Ultra phone was like that.

sony-xperia-z-ultra1.jpgSony Xperia Z Ultra

This UI size looks too large, bubbly, and ugly to me. For the Xperia XA1 Ultra can only fit 5 icons across. Which looks ridiculously large on a 6 inch screen.

gsmarena_004.jpg

This is more like it! Good clean screen real estate! As close to the dpi of the original Z Ultra. How about features; write on the screen with any object sensitivity.

Screenshot_20170707-154211.png

So there are a few things happen when you reach a certain setting.

Current situation. Xperia XA1 Ultra set at 600 smallest widths, practically tablet size. Alpha Clock live wallpaper, 9 icons across screen real-estate. KWGT.

Screenshot_20171014-202433.png

Developer Mode > Smallest Width, I normally put 540 on a 6 or 5.2 inch screens, but Sony hasn't fixed horizontal mode buttons on Nougat. For now, 599-600 sets it to laptop mode.

I'm noticing a problem when I set my screen to 600 "smallest width" or higher. I cannot attach a file or open my file manager through certain apps like from Instagram or Gmail.

Screenshot_20171018-161446.png

So, I just set it to a lower 560, for now.

However, I was playing with the Xperia XA2, Oreo 8.0. When in a higher density the bottom does not shrink to fit. But when you click Widget, the bottom half shrinks to fit.

InkedScreenshot_20180308-191952_LI.jpg

Commissioner
Message 12 of 55
Message 12 of 55

A Photoshop jimmy-rig suggestion to add more Live Wallpapers, especially upload your own. Adding previous Live Wallpapers available to download to prevent "bloating" and a link out to "a clock." Which I really like and should have more coverage.

Sony Live Wallpapers.jpg

"a clock" style of scroll through to download new Live WallpaperScreenshot_20170703-150407.png"a clock" style to download

XperiaLiveWallpaperRenderCombined.jpg

Commissioner
Message 13 of 55
Message 13 of 55

I really dislike when I'm on a call the "ongoing call" notification does not default to priority-top. When multi-tasking and to end call it's hard to find the notification of the current call. On regular calls or Hangout Dialer. I thought they would have figured this out in Nougat.

gplus1768360251.png

Regular calls, Hangout Calls, Facebook Messager anything that deals with a call and hanging up; should all prioritize to top Notification.

Update:

Oreo 8.0 fixed this to have Hangouts and regular Calls to prioritize to the top and not be buried between notifications. 

sketch-1522835185518.png

Well, it's sorta fixed, the initial call shows up on the top, but when you answer. However, when you start multitasking on the phone, the "current call" notification is placed between other notifications. So the problem is still not fixed, very developer-y.

Commissioner
Message 14 of 55
Message 14 of 55

FM Radio: The importance of FM Radio on all devices.

NPR Radio is discussing Puerto Rico hurricane disaster. Cell phones that have FM Radio internal chip, but not the app available. Will the FCC regulate mandatory FM Radio availability? Sony Xperia phones depending on the device has FM Radio, sometimes don't.

Humans don't ever leave a form of communication.

I recently went to Mexico and there are quite a few Sony phones there! I think most of the Sony fanbase would be Mexico, South America, India... All these 2nd 3rd world countries. No matter what they have a big screen TV. Taking away the 3.5mm jack is walking away from the users. I guess endless you're going for that intangible "status" symbol phone.

I think the revamp of Nokia targeting 3rd world countries is big. I see that is what you're trying to do with your L1, and trickle down of your older cellphones.

Anyways, the point is to reinstate the 3.5mm jack across all devices.

http_%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2F2014_03_27_Music.jpg

https://mashable.com/2014/03/27/radio-new-music-chart/?utm_cid=mash-com-G+-main-photo#J8OEAiP.6iq7

... territory’s 78 mayors, who were to carry the aid from 11 distribution points and get it to their constituents. Trying to reach them by cell, they’d reached just six. Then someone had a thought: radio. The medium that had been a lifeline in disasters for decades would move the Maria response off the dime. Radio stations broadcast a summons to mayors. and 55 showed up the next day. - Times time.com/a-land-they-no-longer-recognize

www.cnet.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fm-radio-on-your-phone/

www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-pocket-a...

Commissioner
Message 15 of 55
Message 15 of 55

Motionflow XR

Referencing from the Razer Phone 2017 that came out. Suggest Xperia phones have Motionflow XR 200Hz refresh rate or higher technology from its the Sony Brava LED TV display department. Higher refresh rates will have smooth scrolling and a nice gaming experience. It a good marketing legacy-feature from the Sony Bravia TV line.

framerateCapture.PNG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L-BPQVZYXM

Gaming mode is added to XZ2! Now you just need to add  Motionflow XR 200Hz refresh rate. 

Screenshot_20180301-063352.png

Screenshot_20180301-063359.png

Screenshot_20180301-063413.png

Sony's official branding is called Motionflow.

www.sony.com.sg/article/285985/section/product/product/kdl-40z4500

Motionflow can not only just be for "Gaming Mode" as of course, the feature is useful for watching Sports Streaming, reading while on a Commute scrolling. Should really be in screen settings, but having it in multiple places is perfectly fine.

2013 Motionflow technology info...

57da31d4_Sonymotionflowii.png

Motionflow 120. Motionflow XR 240, Motionflow XR 480, Motionflow XR 960

2015 Motionflow technology...

sony-2015-tv-lineup-hd-large.jpg

2017 Sony Bravia TV lineup, with high as Motionflow XR 1200Hz technology...

sony-2017-tv-step-up-chart2.jpg

Update: yass! It's coming to fruition! https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-xperia-120-hz-display-mode-853299/

Razer Phone gets so damn close for a great price, minus one huge dealbreaker. Razer Phone First Impressions: https://youtu.be/LzC_kkbFTHQ The Razer Phone: https://www.razerzone.com/mobile/razer-phone The test track: The Phoenix by Pyramid Video Gear I use: ...
Commissioner
Message 16 of 55
Message 16 of 55

Sony Bravia OLED A1E has "Acoustic Surface" will they implement this on their Xperia phones to meet thin bezel demands? Their's no speaker, the technology of the glass surface vibrates to project sound by drivers in the rear.

6bee1afd-8970-4830-b065-038bebf5bd69._CR0,0,1464,600_SX1464__.jpg

If you never heard of this TV, you should look up Sony Bravia OLED A1E

original.jpg

There is a phone that did something similar, the Xiaomix Mi Mix 2, the driver behind the screen to vibrate sound. Super little bezel. I would be afraid ever to drop it though.

mashable.com/2017/09/11/xiaomi-mi-mix-2-review/#hX1ePu5Gzkq2

xiaomi-mi-mix-2-9.jpg

Commissioner
Message 17 of 55
Message 17 of 55

Re: Xperia Suggestions: UI, Design, and User Experience Tweaks

To have a low profile top bezel. A simple solution what this MAZE phone (with Sony Lens Sensors), was to put the camera on the chin, and ask the user to flip the phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyi1WYMvvHs

MazeScreenCapture.PNGMazeCapture.PNG

The $12 Smart Watch - Does It Suck? https://youtu.be/OGfOmbzinc0?list=PL7u4lWXQ3wfI_7PgX0C-VTiwLeu0S4v34 The Maze Alpha X is incredibly well built for a sub-$300 smartphone. It features a new bezel-less display with 18:9 aspect ratio. It's made of aluminum and glass, has a 3900mAh battery, 6GB of
Commissioner
Message 18 of 55
Message 18 of 55

Display Sizing 

Changing the density within Xperia Home (Beta). I okay with the apps section to be 6x6, but this is more about the home screen. To have 7x7, 7x8, 7x9 (16:9).Screenshot_20180403-142244.png

Some Android tinkers go to great lengths to change the dpi without root via adb or change the smallest width within Developer Mode.

The original Xperia Z Ultra was 7x7.

sony-xperia-z-ultra1.jpg

Allow higher screen density of Display Size choices, or even go as far as allowing to type in our own custom numbers.

SonyDisplaySizecrop.png

Commissioner
Message 19 of 55
Message 19 of 55

LifeLog

Screenshot_20180205-031438 (2).png

Screenshot_20180205-031438 (1).png 

Lifelog does not recognize this game that I play, bh3.com, Honkai Impact 3rd (崩坏3rd). When I play this the most.

Screenshot_20180108-204515.png

Oddly Xperia Assist can recognize it as a game, however I think it just lists the most recently apps and allows you to check mark them. You need a whitelist add game app. 

Also 

Ps4.png

Cross-connect Playstation via PSN login.

Would get the real data on game time play.

Side note, when install the LifeLog app to my Chromebook (Chrome Pixelbook) , it does not account for web hours chrome. It only reads what my phone says, but does not consider the Chrome Pixelbook as a tablet source to pull data from. I'd like it to be more accurate. I guess.... it's how much time I spend on my "Sony" phone. In reality, I'm either on my phone or laptop. I even text on my laptop. I enjoy the app, so I want more accurate daily life readings.

Commissioner
Message 20 of 55
Message 20 of 55

Xperia Actions

I want to thank the Devs for their hard work, I feel like they are listening to us. I've been watching all the coverage of MWC 2018 on the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact. There are a few minor changes to the devices, not even the "reviewers" notice. 

• Haven't you noticed that the 4K feature is not a sperate app anymore? It's now integrated within settings video settings. Thanks!
  • Thank you for adding Glove Mode back, but I really think it should be a flagship feature because the T2 Ultra and C5 Ultra had them.
  • In "Good Night" thank you for adding a "lock screen to Portrait mode" in Xperia Actions (Oreo 8.0) Good Night mode, as it's a great feature while laying down browsing through content the phone doesn't flip around. However, in Good Night mode you took out "Lower the blue light of the display," which blue light should be a Quick Shortcut setting icon to turn off/on. I want to protect my eyes.
  • I think it's really cool you've added on to Assist Xperia Actions adding Commute and Gaming mode. I hope everyone knows about it and uses it up.

Screenshot_20180308-192013.png

Update: After having  blue light night mode on some devices. And changing the name around and the location. It is now a tint.

sketch-1537443854558.png