account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

XZ2 Premium vs XZ3 confusion

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4
Message 1 of 4

XZ2 Premium vs XZ3 confusion

Sony is planning to launch the XZ3 this year when the XZ2 Premium was just released not too long ago. This seems like it was a desperate move by Sony to rush it so early.

Why are they doing this? Also wouldn't this hurt xz2 Premium sales? 

3 REPLIES 3
Emperor
Message 2 of 4
Message 2 of 4

Re: XZ2 Premium vs XZ3 confusion

@Ninjabird7

I don't see it that way, Sony has been doing this for years now, think about the the XZ2 Premium it's more of a phablet camera oriented phone and the XZ3 although it has a great camera low light pictures/videos the XZ2 Premium is king, the XZ3 has an amazing display and the way I see it is for the everyday user, social media, streaming, etc. 

Xperia XZ3

158 x 73 x 9.9 mm / 193g

Xperia XZ2 Premium

158 x 80 x 11.9 mm / 236g

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4
Message 3 of 4

Before its release in July I thought that the 2 Premium would be the phone we see at IFA and the 3 would be available at mwc next year 

Commissioner
Message 4 of 4
Message 4 of 4

Sony is on a solid 6-month cycle to release a new phone. Sony has Mid-Range, Flagship, and Flagship-Premium. Technically XZ2P (2018 July) -vs- XZ3 (2018 October) Announced: 4 months apart, Release: 3 months apart. Sony leans more on this CES, MWC, IFA, press junket flow to announce products. CES is always in January, MWC February, IFA September. Though business runs in quarters; Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4? So they were released XZ2P Q3 -and- XZ3 Q4. Kinda make sense in a quarter view.

The Premium phone release dates:

2015 November // 2017 February // 2018 April

Z5P // XZP // XZ2P

Releasing the Premium phones are a bit close together, I think it's fine for the consumer so we don't have to wait every 2 years.

gplus4814186605154053293.gif

I think what they wanted to do with the XZ3 was launch AI-Touch Sense feature as quickly as possible, as Kaz Hirai interview is about their future products are about integrating robotics and AI to co-exist. CES 2017 interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdpYt09hwnw

Sony-Xperia-XZ2-Premium-3.jpg
The XZ2 Premium is a product of their dual lens low light camera, which they have been testing. It was a concept product featured (I think) at MWC?

It's quite defined what kind of products they are. Especially, 4K LCD 16:9 ratio screen -vs- OLED 18:9 ratio screen; for the people who have been wanting Sony to make OLED mobile phones. But Sony only recently made the "A1" OLED TVs with an X1 chip with Account Surface.

There are two different types of phones people want LCD or OLED. I personally feel, even though OLED flickers faster than the human eye can see, it still bothers me that it's so close to my eyes and staring at something so long and get photosensitive epilepsy. Of course, I'm just being exaggeratedly hysterical. Also the OLED burn-out with time and heat, I live in a hot state, so I would ruin my screen so fast. So it's really up to your taste to choose.

(Me ranting on...)

I can't find the MWC (I think 2018) interview with Sony's Global Product Manager Diana Hernandez. The interview started in the back quite area for press, she showed a concept dual lens (she kept it hush-hush, but she made it sound like it was for other clients). They continued with a walk and talk tour through the booth, next to the stain glass windows there was a dark peek hole to see a miniature city in low light and see what the un-marked phone with the dual lens can see.

I am quite glad the XZ3 is 6 inches. Finally, a flagship becomes 6 inches once again. It took Sony 2013 July to 2018 October, FIVE years since the Xperia Z Ultra (6.4 inches, which the Note 9 is today) to shrink it's bezels down. I have the Xperia XZ2 Premium and I kinda didn't want it because it wasn't 6 inches, before that I had the XA2 Ultra.