account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

If you want to get the max out of your Xperia phone then check out Xperia tips page.

Which phone = OTG / MHL / DNLA supported

SOLVED
Highlighted
Learner
Message 1 of 3
Message 1 of 3

Which phone = OTG / MHL / DNLA supported

Hi all.

I currently own a Sony Xperia L2, but I wish to buy a Sony that has support for OTG (use of external USB memory sticks) + support for MHL (usb to HDMI) and DNLA/Miracast functions.

Firstly, am I in the right place on this forum to ask this question.

Secondly, If I am in the right place, can anyone recomend a Sony phone that has these three functions.

Thanks in advance

John, in the middle of the UK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Re: Which phone = OTG / MHL / DNLA supported

Hi @ghost123uk1, welcome to our forum!

On the devices that are on the market today and you will have an easy time finding in stores, the Xperia 1 and the Xperia 5 supports the 3 features that you are looking for (in some ways).

OTG isn't really supported like that, but you can use USB host just fine and connect in your case, a USB stick to the device using an adapter.

Both devices supports Miracast, but not DNLA, but you can cast content to for example, a Chromecast.

To connect the phone to an external display or TV that has a DisplayPort, you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable which supports DisplayPort 4K 60 fps.

To connect the phone to an external display or TV that has an HDMI port, you can use a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable which supports DisplayPort 4K 60 fps.

There are several devices that supports USB Host and Miracast, it's the MHL that is the tricky part here as no device has supported this after the Xperia Z5-series til now, when it's back in the Xperia 1 and Xperia 5.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 3
Message 2 of 3

Hi @ghost123uk1, welcome to our forum!

On the devices that are on the market today and you will have an easy time finding in stores, the Xperia 1 and the Xperia 5 supports the 3 features that you are looking for (in some ways).

OTG isn't really supported like that, but you can use USB host just fine and connect in your case, a USB stick to the device using an adapter.

Both devices supports Miracast, but not DNLA, but you can cast content to for example, a Chromecast.

To connect the phone to an external display or TV that has a DisplayPort, you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable which supports DisplayPort 4K 60 fps.

To connect the phone to an external display or TV that has an HDMI port, you can use a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable which supports DisplayPort 4K 60 fps.

There are several devices that supports USB Host and Miracast, it's the MHL that is the tricky part here as no device has supported this after the Xperia Z5-series til now, when it's back in the Xperia 1 and Xperia 5.

I hope that helps! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

View solution in original post

Learner
Message 3 of 3
Message 3 of 3

Thank you.

I was about to buy a "new old stock" Z3 until I read about all the overheating problems that phone has when using it to play / stream video etc.

However, after reading your post, it convinced me that a "new old stock"  Z5 is the best option for me (as I cannot afford a brand new Xperia 1 or 5).

It will be here in a day or so, I am looking forward to having all the functions I need / want in one phone again.