account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Please add ability to change USB mode to MTP from PC

Highlighted
Visitor
Message 1 of 2
Message 1 of 2

Please add ability to change USB mode to MTP from PC

I do general tech support and the frequency with which i have run into this problem when someone has broken their phone screen and need to recover data from their phone has me tearing my hair out.

Have broken phone, connect to a PC and the PC tells you change the USB mode or unlock the phone before it can do anything. Surely their must be some way of setiing things up so you can unlock or change the mode from the PC. Sometmes you can attach a Mouse, but then you can't change the mode unless you then use the mouse to pair a bluetooth mouse.

Broken screens are so common, and are probably the number 1 reason prompting people to upgrade a phone they wish to transfer data from, it is hard to beleive that this has not been thought though and you end up staring at a message to change the mode on the phone whose screen is unsuable.

1 REPLY 1
Sony Xperia Support
Message 2 of 2
Message 2 of 2

Re: Please add ability to change USB mode to MTP from PC

Hi @genwolf, I understand that is frustrating. Slightly frowning Face

When you have connected the mouse with a OTG adapter you can go into developer options and force the phone to use MTP as standard mode when it's connected to a computer.

Start with enabling developer options, go to Settings > About phone > press Build number 7 times and you will be notified that you are now a developer. Go back to Settings and you will see a new option called "Developer options", tap on that and make sure its turned ON. Scroll down and find "Select USB Configuration" > MTP (Media Transfer Protocol".

When you connect the phone to a computer now MTP will be the default option so you get access to the data stored on the device.

There is no option at the moment to enable MTP mode directly from the computer, I will forward this as user feedback.

If you have any other questions let me know! Slightly smiling Face

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.