account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Curious about what is happening at IFA?
Read more and discuss the press conference here.

Move Images to SD Card does not support PlayMemories

One time poster
Message 1 of 5
Message 1 of 5

Move Images to SD Card does not support PlayMemories

I love the integration of my a6000 and PlayMemories app to transfer and share photos, however there are two severe limitations that I hope Sony can resolve soon with software update.

1. PlayMemories App cannot transfer to SD Card at least on Xperia ZR 4.4.4. I belive this app should be built-in if possible to allow it to write to SD card like other Sony apps.

2. This leads to quickly filling up internal memory with high resolution photos from camera. This wouldn't be a problem if the automatic Move Images and Videos to SD Card feature works, but it does not detect PlayMemories images and videos, so complains internal memory low but shows zero images to transfer.

I hope Sony either Xperia or PlayMemories team fixes these issues soon, because the integration of the different Sony products is one reasons I chose the a6000 over Olympus EMD-10 camera.

4 REPLIES 4
Visitor
Message 2 of 5
Message 2 of 5

Re: Move Images to SD Card does not support PlayMemories

Can't believe this feature is not standard, sending images from an RX100 m3 to Xperia Z3 and internal memory is full, why did I bother with a 128gb Sd card? Ridiculous...
One time poster
Message 3 of 5
Message 3 of 5

This problem with Playmemories has been reported on numerous occasions on numerous forums (including several Sony forums) for well over a year.

This is not a trivial symptom (inability to use available memory) so why is it being ignored by the Playmemories development team and by Sony camera developers etc? 

Highlighted
One time poster
Message 4 of 5
Message 4 of 5

I believe Android itself is to blame. Starting from KiKat apps are no longer allowed to write to SD card. Even power programs like Titanium Backup can't anymore. Thank Google for tightening its grip on Android users al little more with each new version. Like an anaconda.

Visitor
Message 5 of 5
Message 5 of 5

I've just performed a factory data reset on my Z2 because of this problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with my HDR MV1 but Playmemories had crippled my smartphone. Why oh why did I bother with a 180Gb Micro SD card! It's only good for storing music, videos and photos captured by the phone itself. I couldn't send Adobe Acrobat Reader to SD either.
So Google is to blame?
I have to upload my music video, back it up to Google Photos, then delete it so as not to quickly clog up internal storage!