account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meltdown and Spectre, are we safe?

SOLVED
Learner
Message 11 of 20
Message 11 of 20

Re: Meltdown and Spectre, are we safe?

Hi, do you know something about Xperia M5? He still has the September 2016 patch confused

One time poster
Message 12 of 20
Message 12 of 20

Thank you Sony Mobile for acknowledging Meltdown and Spectre. Would you please ask your fellow subsidiary to acknowledge the impact Meltdown and Spectre has on Sony VAIO computers?  I don't see any updates posted at esupport.sony.com/EN/VAIO

Adviser
Message 13 of 20
Message 13 of 20

Freak vulnerability

I did a scan with an app called Freak Vulnerability Scanner from the google store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trustlook.freakdetect&hl=de). The scan says my Xperia L1 has a SSL version which is affected by the Freak vulnerability bug. Can someone address this issue? Is there a fix?

One time poster
Message 14 of 20
Message 14 of 20

Sony PLEASE release SECURITY updates for KRACK / Spectre / Meltdown! (please support this thread)

Not updating the Z5 to Android 8 Oreo is sad but understandable (it has had 2 version updates already). However, not releasing security updates for serious vulnerabilities (notably KRACK, Spectre / Meltdown) for a phone that many of your customers are still using is irresponsible.

Please release updates for these vulnerabilities for us.

Fellow Z5 (or similar aged Sony phone) users please add your support to this thread.

Really this is a wider issue.. I think responsible phone companies should release timely Security updates for at least 2 years after a phone model stops being officially sold by vendors (so that a customer buying one, with a 24 month contract, is secure for that duration) (are any jurisdictions considering enforcing anything like this legally?)

One time poster
Message 15 of 20
Message 15 of 20

Re: Sony PLEASE release SECURITY updates for KRACK / Spectre / Meltdown! (please support this thread

Sony is failing their customer base on security updates, not acceptable for a premium company.

Learner
Message 16 of 20
Message 16 of 20

Re: Sony PLEASE release SECURITY updates for KRACK / Spectre / Meltdown! (please support this thread

Japan already got the update on z5 premium. Should go global eventually.

https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/support/utilization/product_update/list/so03h/index.html

One time poster
Message 17 of 20
Message 17 of 20

Meltdown and Spectre patch

I know that its stupid to ask, but is there any hope of getting a meltdown and spectre patch for Xperia P?

Coz many people like still use this phone in day to day life.

Visitor
Message 18 of 20
Message 18 of 20

You are right that Sony are terrible when it comes to security updates (lack of Android updates, don't put us at risk in the same way).

I've been researching this and all I can find in regards to Sony is that they will provide security updates 18 months from the release - yes, that's *release* - of their phones.

So, if you buy (or take a two year contract, let's say) a phone 18 months after its release date, you won't get a single security update.

This, at best, borders on negligence, at worse....

Visitor
Message 19 of 20
Message 19 of 20

Thanks Jonas - can you let us know which Sony Xperia phones will get the 2018-01-05 update please?

Many thanks

Visitor
Message 20 of 20
Message 20 of 20

Latest security update?

What is the latest security update you have on your Z5?