account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up cart mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meltdown and Spectre, are we safe?

SOLVED
Adept
Message 6 of 28
Message 6 of 28

Meltdown and Spectre, are we safe?

Hello, hope you all are having a good day!

I love my XZP and I use it for literally everything, it's like my personal smart companion. And with all the data and accounts on it, I'd like to know if my data and passwords are safe from the new Meltdown and Spectre attacks.

So, is it patched against these attacks? What security patch date should I look for? And if not, when should we expect to see a security patch for them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 28
Message 9 of 28

Re: Meltdown and Spectre, are we safe?

Hello everyone!

Sony Mobile treats the security and privacy of customer data with the utmost seriousness. We are aware of “Spectre” and “Meltdown” and would like to reassure our users that protective patches have been provided as part of our ongoing Security Update Programme - patched devices will have Android Security Patch dated 2018-01-05 or later.

In addition to keeping device software up to date, users can also take extra steps to protect themselves by only downloading trusted applications from reputable stores and by keeping all apps updated to the latest versions.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

27 REPLIES
Apprentice
Message 1 of 28
Message 1 of 28

Does the new update 47.1.A.8.49 contain fix for recent Spectre/Meltdown security issues?

As in the topic - do you know if this update contains fixes for the recent Spectre/Meltdown disclosure?

Seems that ARM CPUs are also affected so I would expect Android patches as well.

Highlighted
Talent
Message 2 of 28
Message 2 of 28

Re: Does the new update 47.1.A.8.49 contain fix for recent Spectre/Meltdown security issues?

Probably not, as the fix was included from Google in the update of January 2nd 2018 according to different sources.

The 47.1.A.8.49 update stems from early December 2017.

The next update will most likely have the fix included.

Rookie
Message 3 of 28
Message 3 of 28

Meltdown/Spectre Sony Xperia updates

Hi,

I bought my E5 december 2016. It still has a security update from september 2016. Nothing available since then.

Will Sony update these devices to prevent from the Spectre, Meltdown vulnerabilities ?

Rookie
Message 4 of 28
Message 4 of 28

Re: Meltdown/Spectre Sony Xperia updates

and while you fix meltdown/spectre, maybe you could add a fix for krack as well on the e5. 

Not sure why this thread was moved from the E5 forum to the general discussion as there are other devices that do get regular updates. It seems the E5 is left out of any updates.

Commissioner
Message 5 of 28
Message 5 of 28

Z5 Security patch updates - Meltdown and Spectre exploit !

The last security patch the Z5 family received was in Sep 2017.

From Sep to Dec, non was release for the Z5 family. 

Now, we have the Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities.

Will the Z5 family get a patch for this "very serious" exploit?

One time poster
Message 7 of 28
Message 7 of 28

Re: Quick questions, quick replies; ask anything about the XZ Premium!

Translation via Google Translate:

The patch of December 1, 2017 covers the protection from "Specter"? 🤔

La patch del 1 dicembre 2017 copre la protezione da "Spectre"? 🤔 

Learner
Message 8 of 28
Message 8 of 28

KRACK, Spectre and Meltdown

Sony have already acknowledged they won't be releasing security updates to fix the KRACK wifi vulnerability. Can someone confirm whether the Z5 series are susceptible to Spectre and Meltdown flaws and whether these will be patched through a security update when the Android security updates are released?

Sony Xperia Support
Message 9 of 28
Message 9 of 28

Hello everyone!

Sony Mobile treats the security and privacy of customer data with the utmost seriousness. We are aware of “Spectre” and “Meltdown” and would like to reassure our users that protective patches have been provided as part of our ongoing Security Update Programme - patched devices will have Android Security Patch dated 2018-01-05 or later.

In addition to keeping device software up to date, users can also take extra steps to protect themselves by only downloading trusted applications from reputable stores and by keeping all apps updated to the latest versions.

Official Sony Xperia Support Staff

If you're new to our forums, make sure that you've read our Discussion guidelines.

To get in touch with your local support team, please visit our contact page.

Learner
Message 10 of 28
Message 10 of 28

Greetings,

since this statement is not very clear, which devices will get this patch? Only those which qualify for the January Android patches and onwards or older devices as well that may be reaching (or reached) their end of life support such as the Z5?
I would appreciate a clear answer on this simple question,

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Here is the list of devices that will be patched for these two vulnerabilities:

“For the issues known as “Meltdown” and “Spectre”, we will / are in the process of making patches available for: Xperia XA1, Xperia XA1 Ultra, Xperia L1, Xperia XA1 Plus, Xperia XA2, Xperia XA2 Ultra, Xperia L2, Xperia X Performance, Xperia X, Xperia X Compact, Xperia XZ, Xperia XZ Premium, Xperia XZs, Xperia XZ1 and Xperia XZ1 Compact. Patched devices will have Android Security Patch dated 2018-01-05.”