account arrowhead-down arrowhead-up mobile-menu search sm-bold-x x-skinny-rounded x-skinny arrowhead-right social-facebook social-googleplus social-instagram social-linkedin social-pinterest social-qzone social-renren social-tencent social-twitter social-vkontakt social-weibo social-youku social-youtube

Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tips & Tricks

Want to know more about Xperia 5? To read more about it go here.
If you can't find the answer to your question there please post it here and let the community help you.

KRACK attack on wifi WPA2

SOLVED
Visitor
Message 61 of 81
Message 61 of 81

Re: Security patch of WPA2

Hmm. I've had my Z3 for just over 3 years now, and I've had great service from it. However I'm going to have to vote with my feet when I replace. I cannot justify the waste and cost of a phone at over £600 that becomes a liability in such a short time. It is irresponsible and objectionable to produce a product at such a cost that has such a short lifespan. I would say there's no wonder that the Chinese companies are growing like crazy while Sony is unfortunately reconsidering the future of their phone division.

If I'm going to have to buy a phone that's only going to last 3 years max. then I'm going to buy one that's throwaway at a price point to match.

Visitor
Message 62 of 81
Message 62 of 81

I agree. lets take a quick look at the varying processors used in the current phones. on samsung you have exynos quad and octa core processors. SD835 as well as varying GPU's. HTC you have mediatek and SD835 and again varying GPUS. Each processor gets replaced at least once a year and the SDK's are limited in their compatability, Sony, Samsung, HTC, LG etc can't be expected to continue to Dev on outdated SDK's and focus on their current gen hardware. We live in a throw away society for the most part. People used to go onto 24mth subsidised phone contract and keep their phones that long. Now with the Telco's offering their 12mth trade it in and pay ..... and resign with a new phone people are only keeping phones for 12mth

Commissioner
Message 63 of 81
Message 63 of 81

This is a security issue. Its not solve until all models are patched.

One time poster
Message 64 of 81
Message 64 of 81

This is a lie. The patch does not protect nor help in the slightest. I have a brand new xperiaz premium and yet my device immediately became infected with KRACK. Having spoken with Sony they feel antivirus software would work. Incorrect it does not help or get rid of it and then they said I would have to send it to them to get fixed. What's the point if the so called patch that protects doesn't protect it will just happen again. It appears that they haven't a clue how to get rid of this issue and are more than happy to be taking more money to supposedly fix something that should of happened if the patch worked. Not happy in the slightest and I used to recommend Sony to everyone... Not anymore money money money is all they care about and customer information safety is irrelevant 

Highlighted
Adviser
Message 65 of 81
Message 65 of 81

Dear Jonas from Sony Xperia Support, today is 2017-12-29 and my Sony Xperia X Compact still shows me "Android security patch level" October 1, 2017. Which means I'm still vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack. Is it only my phone? Or was the plans changed at some time?

Visitor
Message 66 of 81
Message 66 of 81

Re: KRACK attack on wifi WPA2

Is there a pach againce the KRACK available on the Sony site for Z5 devices 

Adviser
Message 67 of 81
Message 67 of 81

FYI all, my Xperia X Compact (F5321) has just received OTA update (Android 7.1.1) and now it shows Security Patch Level as "December 1, 2017"

Learner
Message 68 of 81
Message 68 of 81

This is not SOLVED as my Z5 compact E5823 still has not received the Dec 2017 android patches. This phone was still being sold new by networks like 3 ireland until only a few months ago and according to EU law warranty support should be provided for 2 years therefore security updates should be provided for at least 2 years. Will not be buying SONY again unless they pull their finger out.

Learner
Message 69 of 81
Message 69 of 81

Sony Xperia Z5 Dual overdue security patches

Dear Sony,

Since the outbreak of the KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability in October last year, my Sony Xperia Z5 Dual still has not seen a security update to mitigate this severe issue. According to another topic on these forums, a patch for other Sony devices would be released with security patch level 2017-11-05. My device, which is not even 2 years old, is still on security patch level 2017-09-01. Google has released Android security patches as recently as this month. When will the latest security patches be released for the Sony Xperia Z5 Dual as well?

Hoping to hear from you,

a troubled Sony customer

Message 70 of 81
Message 70 of 81

Thank you so much Slightly smiling Face